Old 17-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #76   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Hm...The Animatrix wasn't that special. FFOO was just really pretty CG eyecandy with no real substance. It's really sweet candy though. I really enjoyed Kid's Story and the 2 Part one was just disturbing. Program was a lot of fun, but that's about it. I'd probably say Detective Story was my most disliked of the bunch. Beyond was a bit bland. World Record and that other Robo-convert one was "meh."

For those who are wondering, there is a dvd rip floating out there. I know.

Last edited by thedarkmarine; 17-05-2003 at 07:46 PM.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 10:46 AM   #77   [permalink]
CitizenKane

I think AnimAtrix rocks. I'm not sure why some of you are knocking it. *shrugs* People have weird taste.

Each little piece was poignant. Characterisation was better than your average anime and it looks gorgeous (no, I don't just mean Osiris, but all the rest, in particular, Second Renaissance, that was truly amazing). What more could one ask for?

I know some people will probably be a little disorientated by the fact that the pieces are short, but when you consider they have only minutes to play with, I think the project was a stunning success.

And, if you watch the full DVD in one sitting, although the stories are separate and can stand alone, together they weave a web of the world of the matrix so intricate you cannot but get involved.

A feast for the eyes and for the mind. Go get it.
CitizenKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2003, 11:27 AM   #78   [permalink]
prominence

Send a message via ICQ to prominence
watched animatrix at the cinemas yesterday. Mind-boggling coz I have not watched matrix 1 and 2 yet
prominence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 10:24 AM   #79   [permalink]
EdXu21

the big black guy from Program (duo, i think) really, really sounds like a warIII character voice

and two of the kids from the haunted house are distinctly phil and lil from rugrats
EdXu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:58 PM   #80   [permalink]
ParticleEffect
Forum Elite

anyway, i downloaded the dvd. imo, it's merely ok. it's not gods gift to anime or anything so great. i don't like it when things that present nothing new take themselves so seriously.
ParticleEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 02:28 PM   #81   [permalink]
Shinnentai

I thought the five released before the DVD ( incl Flight Of The Osiris on TV / in cinemas ) were all pretty impressive in their own way (apart from maybe Program, whose animation quality I didn't really rate).

I'm a bit disappointed with the four DVD exclusives though. Matriculated was always going to be a miss with me if only because I don't appreciate Peter Chung's visual style (which doesn't seem to have evolved since Aeon Flux). Same goes for World Record, which also has to have one of the most obvious & cliched plots of the bunch.

Beyond reminded me a lot of Flcl , with the bonus of the rather distinct Rugrats voice actors - perfectly suited to their roles & leaving me grinning like a loon whenever they spoke . Good to see the background of the annoying kid from Reloaded, but what's with the wonky animation? Looks like they filmed it as a guide then drew over it. Seems a bit cheaty to me. Anyone confirm that this was done? (not too sure, but I think the technique is called rotoscoping).
Shinnentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 PM   #82   [permalink]
ParticleEffect
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Shinnentai
Good to see the background of the annoying kid from Reloaded
what short was about him?
Old 03-06-2003, 02:40 AM   #83   [permalink]
Shinnentai

Quote:
Originally posted by ParticleEffect
what short was about him?
Kids Story (rather appropriately).
Old 03-06-2003, 08:09 AM   #84   [permalink]
Eddy
Forum Master

i saw it last night in the UK iwth high hopes..and ende dup being dissapointed. The story of "World record" was rather boring and unexplained. The character designs werent bad for a western thing but the backgrounds were awful and colourless.

Gnerally i think it was just a cheap attempt to impress matric fans by syaing "look kids! its the matric animated! gasp!"

"There's a molester in your bathroom"-Oh my Goddess

"Akito! come join me in the shower!-Nadesico
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:43 PM   #85   [permalink]
Shinnentai

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddy
i saw it last night in the UK iwth high hopes..and ende dup being dissapointed. The story of "World record" was rather boring and unexplained. The character designs werent bad for a western thing but the backgrounds were awful and colourless.

Gnerally i think it was just a cheap attempt to impress matric fans by syaing "look kids! its the matric animated! gasp!"

I agree, World Record certainly seemed one of the poorer Animatrix shorts - after all, there's only so much that you can do when the main scene is that of a sprint. Hardly as inspiring as the freedom with which the Matrix universe has furnished fight sequences with.

Not sure what you mean about the character designs though. I thought World Record was animated by Madhouse & had a wholly Japanese production staff. Unless you're saying they used self imposed restrictions on the designs so as to appeal to a western audience?
Old 03-06-2003, 07:26 PM   #86   [permalink]
ParticleEffect
Forum Elite

Quote:
Kids Story (rather appropriately).
but that can't be, he died at the end of kid's story didn't he? so he couldn't have made it out of the matrix.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:30 PM   #87   [permalink]
ParticleEffect
Forum Elite

Quote:
I agree, World Record certainly seemed one of the poorer Animatrix shorts - after all, there's only so much that you can do when the main scene is that of a sprint. Hardly as inspiring as the freedom with which the Matrix universe has furnished fight sequences with.
actually i dont think world record was that bad. the point was, imo, that he was going beyond human capabilities by "knowing" he was faster. just like every super human ability in the matrix, you have to know you can do it. he was running as hard as he could, and he pulled a muscle in his leg like his coach warned him about, but he believed in his capabilities so much that he ran through it. he willed himself to win you could say, and that troubled the agents because he was going beyond his physical limitations.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:02 AM   #88   [permalink]
Shinnentai

Quote:
but that can't be, he died at the end of kid's story didn't he? so he couldn't have made it out of the matrix.
No, the final scene has the kid listening to the Nebuchadnezzar crew who you see discussing him, with the camera POV set as if it's his line of sight. I seem to remember them saying that they didn't think self realisation was possible, the kid thanks Neo for saving him, & Neo tells him he saved himself - as he does in the film.

Presumeably the Nebuchadnezzar is on patrol when the kid breaks free of the Matrix, & is in a position to rescue his body. Which is of course, highly coincidental.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:25 AM   #89   [permalink]
Shinnentai

Quote:
actually i dont think world record was that bad. the point was, imo, that he was going beyond human capabilities by "knowing" he was faster. just like every super human ability in the matrix, you have to know you can do it. he was running as hard as he could, and he pulled a muscle in his leg like his coach warned him about, but he believed in his capabilities so much that he ran through it. he willed himself to win you could say, and that troubled the agents because he was going beyond his physical limitations.
Well, you're bang on with your analysis of the plot. Unfortunately, understanding a story does'nt necessarily entail enjoying it. Although perhaps I'm being a mite harsh on Kids Story.

I did like the way the air currents were done as the agents were chasing the sprinter, & couldn't help the hairs raising on the back of my neck when he stands out of his wheelchair (even if it is horribly cliched & predictable). 'Freedom'

But come on! Where's the gunplay? where's the Kung Fu? ( yeah, OK, so neither Kids Story or Beyond had these either, but they're excused due to their lush visuals).
Old 04-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #90   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Just finished watching the Animatrix and I must say that I was overly impressed. Overall, Animatrix was exactly a "mixed bag" of sorts, but they are still rewatchable. A couple of stand outs were The Second Renaissance Parts I and II. Is is just me or was it damn scary how the machines just took over and boguarded eveything!! I'm like holy...sh....you know. That was some freak stuff there. Dectective Story was cool too. It's always good to see Trinity in action, plus the animation and story were pretty smooth, so all good in my book. Finally, Kid's Story. I thought the skateboard sequence was awsome. Other than, pretty average. None of the shorts were bad at all actually. It's just that the Second Renaissance really stood out and put the fear of god into me. Now, to watch the extras.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote