Old 05-06-2003, 01:37 PM   #91   [permalink]
hikarate

Definitely watch the extras. The making of.. sections are really good and there is a nice history of anime section which covers a surprising amount, at least from a Western perspective.
I really liked this as a Matrix fan and as an Anime fan.
Beyond is my favorite, I have a theory on why that house is haunted, but need to check out a couple things before I say anything.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this DVD. So many different perspectives, artists, and stories. It really comes together nicely. Matriculated is the only one that really provides a fresh look into the Matrix universe IMO, but the other stories were very enjoyable. Final Flight of the Osiris looks like it could have been in the movie. Those guys at Square scare me.
________
Plymouth Plaza picture
________
Chevrolet Celta Specifications

Last edited by hikarate; 18-04-2011 at 03:17 AM.
hikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:31 AM   #92   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Finally watched all the Animatrix, had some great episodes but some well ...

I really enjoyed Final Fligh of the Osiris that one really had a "Matrix movie" feel to it and it had the best fight scene.

I agree with whats been said in this thread about the Second Renaissance that was real chilling and pretty damm freaky like the part where they were beating the crap out of that chick who was a robot in disguise, when they ripped out that soldier from his mech and finally the part where we see the humans being "plugged in", but I love how it was done.

Kid's Story was pretty good, the art was a bit different but real classy and I really liked the agents in that one they look so "rubbery"

Program was crap besides the fighting, same with World Record ugh that had damm ugly animation.

Beyond, I liked. Was more mellow and entertaining then the previous episodes. Same with Detective Story love the grainy feel to it and Trinity and the Agents looked great!

Matriculated, had to be the worse next to World Record. What was with that trippy bizzare scene where they were all plugged in? Characters looked really weird, it started off good with those sentinels but ended up rubbish IMO
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:34 PM   #93   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

I just rented the AniMatrix so its time for my review!

Overall, I LOVED it. And I loved the extras just as much as I loved the actual animated shorts. With 80 minutes of animation and 75 minutes of extras, you really should watch the extras. They have interviews with every single director, detail how each short was made, and have a kick-ass documentary on the history of anime that's great for newbies and vets alike. The only thing it lacks is an interview with the Wachowski bros themselves. I really wanted to hear their view on the project, but oh well.

Final Flight of the Osiris- If you see the story more as an extension of the movie rather than a stand-alone feature, it makes more sense. So watch it RIGHT before Matrix Reloaded. Visually, Square USA have amazing CG skills. Too bad they're gone for good. Oh and for those of you who saw FF: The Spirits Within, there's a nice extra in the Andy Jones interview which shows the promo clip Square used to show the Wachowski brothers that they could animate for the Animatrix. It features Aki from the movie with a haircut, in a leather catsuit, beating up a Matrix sentinel. VERY cool.

Second Renaissance I & II - Definitely a harrowing story. Parts of it were uneasy to watch (the director stated that was his intention) and it was nice to see the history of the Matrix. Not my favorite short though. Interesting tidbit from the interview: Maeda was afraid that the final scene with a destroyed NYC would be cut (the storyboards were finished right before Sept 11), but the scene was left as it is.

Program - I loved this one. I can definitely see the Ninja Scroll references and the combination of 3-D and 2-D animation was wicked, so to speak. It was just a satsifing watch and was so...complete.

Kid's Story - Actually this was my favorite because after seeing all of those Japese high schools I've always wanted to see anime do an American one. Plus the rough, realistic animation technique they used really appealed to me. In the interview Watanabe says they created it by using 2 layers of cells for the entire thing. Under a normal budget, this is impossible so we're seeing a pretty cool technique here. They did film the actual actor from the Matrix doing some of the scenes, but these were used as a reference and not overlaid like Waking Life was.

Beyond - WOW! Absolutely beautiful. Each movement was perfect. This is probably my second or third favorite. I can definitely see why the anime crowd would like this one. This is the one short that I like watching over and over to pick up new things.

World Record - You guys didn't like this one? I loved it. The whole idea of the runner breaking through the Matrix was great. I liked Takeshi Koike's art style. The exaggeration and dark shadows worked well. The final scene where he struggles to stand and the Agent is saying "Sit DOWN" was powerful. I think this was Koike's first project as director, so I really look forward to see what kind of anime he's going to make in the future.

Detective Story- This is Watanabe, of course its good. It didn't really seem to fit into the Matrix world, but I liked the black and white, film noir atmosphere.

Matriculated - Peter Chung's short was...interesting. I don't mind his art style, and I really liked the concept of a human-made Matrix. I didn't understand the ending at all though! I'll have to watch this one a few times. I think this short had one of the best written stories but I wish it was expanded upon more.

Hmm, so I guess the real question is what didn't I like about the Animatrix. Not much really. I wish some of the shorts were longer, some of the shorts weren't "Matrixy" enough. However out of the context of the Matrix they are still great pieces. Seeing such a diverse range of styles was nice. I'd love to see more collections like this.

Last edited by jennwenn; 11-06-2003 at 01:45 PM.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #94   [permalink]
InuFreak
Forum Elite

omg they are ALL soo good!!!if i really had to pick one it would have to be Program. i agree wit jennwenn with the 2-d and 3-d combination. animatrix is a great anime achievement.
InuFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #95   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
A friend brought it over for viewing Friday night. I liked everything in the same sense jennwenn did. It's an excellent attempt to add extra depth to the movies' story.
Old 16-06-2003, 01:42 AM   #96   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Quote:
Originally posted by jennwenn
Matriculated - [...] I didn't understand the ending at all though!

I wish some of the shorts were longer, some of the shorts weren't "Matrixy" enough.
That girl didnt like the idea of being in the "Matrix" with the sentinel and opted to take her own life or something.

Yeah really only Final Flight of the Osiris and Program had "matrix" action with the revolving camera. I would of loved to see some bullet time effects
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2003, 01:37 AM   #97   [permalink]
The cruel angel's thesis
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via AIM to The cruel angel's thesis Send a message via Yahoo to The cruel angel's thesis
I saw it a couple weeks back and I loved it.

"The Second Renaissance" especially. I do declare, that short alone kicks the crap out of Reloaded.
Old 19-06-2003, 02:37 AM   #98   [permalink]
FayeFayeV
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to FayeFayeV Send a message via AIM to FayeFayeV Send a message via MSN to FayeFayeV Send a message via Yahoo to FayeFayeV
I agree there.
FayeFayeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2003, 05:06 PM   #99   [permalink]
Binky

Quote:
Originally posted by The cruel angel's thesis
I saw it a couple weeks back and I loved it.

"The Second Renaissance" especially. I do declare, that short alone kicks the crap out of Reloaded.
Definite yeppers on that count.

My favourite of the the free eps (free because I am so flat broke that I can't even spare a measly fifteen bucks to buy the DVD ) was Detective Story. The fim noir feel was very nice indeed). I just wish it had gone on for a few more seconds so I could see what happens. Oh, I know the Agents will probably kill the detective (can't remember his name for the life of me right now), but I want to see it happen. Just so I can rest easy at night.
I didn't care for Program so much. The animation and action kicked, but it was all just a test...

Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #100   [permalink]
Escaflowne Chick
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to Escaflowne Chick
Talking Animatrix--->Finally!

Well I finally got my copy of the Animatrix. I must say I'm pretty imoressed by some of the episodes that were made. However, a few were.....um....how can I say it.......They were weird. The animation was strange but cool too. Probably my fav ep was Beyond. That would be so awesome to be there, you know what I mean. To beable to jump off the top of that building and like stop falling before you hit the ground. Well ya I'm just babbling now,

So what was your fav ep of the Animatrix?

~e*c~
hitomi wo tojireba...
Escaflowne Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2003, 11:42 PM   #101   [permalink]
FayeFayeV
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to FayeFayeV Send a message via AIM to FayeFayeV Send a message via MSN to FayeFayeV Send a message via Yahoo to FayeFayeV
The Two Second Rennaissances.

then Beyond, then Final Flight of the Osiris

Kid's story and detective story were uber cool...

The rest...<< World Record kinda bothered me..and I never really liked anything from Peter Chung.
Old 23-06-2003, 11:49 PM   #102   [permalink]
FayeFayeV
Forum Master

I liked Beyond, too....that would have been so cool.
Old 24-06-2003, 05:30 PM   #103   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I liked Final Flight of the Osiris, because the animation just amazed me. It looked so lifelike, for the most part. The CG was better than the stuff in Matrix: Reloaded. Plus the storyline fit right into the Matrix storyline. The Second Renaissance was excellent too. Interesting back story to the Matrix, and good animation. Detective Story was awesome, of course, as was Kid's Story once I got over the roughness of the style.

My favorite was probably Beyond. It was beautifully done, and simple, and it talked about something they mentioned in the Matrix movies that interested me: the so-called "glitches", like deja vu, etc. It was nice to see something done with this. The extra about the creator was kind of amusing, since everyone else involved with the project seemed to be just a tad bit frustrated with him.

World Record really freaked me out. The animation style... the story... I think that's probably the one I liked the least. If I ever buy Animatrix, I don't think I'll ever watch that one again.

What did you guys think of Matriculated? It was very surreal... and I felt kind of sorry for the robot at the end of the story.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #104   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
I don't understand why "World Record" has gotten bashed so much.

It deals with one of the undiscussed possibilities of the Matrix: Can a human free himself through sheer willpower, whether knowingly or not? How would the machines react? What would happen to this person afterwards? Is it possible to hack the Matrix without knowing it exists?

I thought it was a great episode. Not in my top three, but certainly an important plot contribution.
Old 24-06-2003, 11:18 PM   #105   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Quote:
Originally posted by Shinnentai

I'm certainly with you on the 'shocking' part. I thought the scene with the crowd beating the female robot to pieces in the first one was bad, but it's nothing compared to when the pilot gets ripped out of his mecha with his limbs still clamped in it o_0.
Yes, I agree with you on that one hundred precent... I tried to watch it again, but always right before it happens I turn away, it's fictional, but it makes you just want to feel your own limbs to make sure you still have them... :shivers:

For those who do not know what happened, we are in the final major battle of the humans verses the machines. The humans have exo-suits with them. Not like a mobile suit or conventional Mecha with a cockpit, these are like another layer of clothing. You use your arms and legs to actually move these ones. Your arms and legs are very well restrained in them and then their is a chest plate which covers your torso and head.

Well, the machines got hold of one of them and cut open the chest plate exposing the head and body of a pilot who was pissing in his pants. Robotic tentical then wrapped around his body and head as he helplessly tried to scurm out of it only to be stopped by the restrains. And then the tenticals began to pull him out while he was screaming and futileing crying for help... The rest is history...

The only other major disturbing part would have been during The Second Renaissance: part 1 when that robot went beserk and proceeded to kill everyone in sight. It was okay from a distance but to see a first person perpective of it clamping on to a women's head and crushing it, watching the women's eye's fall somewhat out of their sockets and the jaw crumple with blood cleanly flowing out. Only to pull it apart and to see the brain cleanly pop out. I'm surprised no one found that a little creepy...

As for the scene of the UN being Nuked, you heard the machine's demands that they wanted the human's flesh to survive, they nuked it most likely to show that they had no hope left, and also to rid the world of troubling politicions...
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote