Old 03-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #1   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
L/R

I visited a friend's house over the weekend and of his buddies brought over a volume of the new Newtype, which I happily thumbed through.

L/R was one of the many shows which caught my attention. This is everything I could dig up about it on short notice: ANN's Profile and the official website. I couldn't find anything in AoD's license page, but that is of course limited to America.

Has anyone managed to watch any episodes? What were your impressions?
Old 03-03-2003, 06:36 PM   #2   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
the show is already licensed by Pioneer (they funded it), and would be coming out (id imagine) within the next 3-6 months since the trailer showed up on the GK 21 dvd.

anyhow, all i really know about the series is what i read from the newest volume of Newtype USA, two agents from CLOUD7 who has a license to kill in an island of the coast of England. their jobs range from protecting VIP's and stealing counterfeit jewels (yes, it sounds like James Bond). also, L/R means "Licensed by Royale", the show has mixed reactions from fans
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:33 AM   #3   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Their's a L/R thread in the Anime Reviews section of the noated forum and all the posters in that thread agree it's really bad.

John the Animnation Anime Guru sapretty much gave up on it and most people on Animenation don't feel it's that good.

I don't think I've seen one person who has said they like it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:46 AM   #4   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

I scrolled through one thread at Noated, and while I appreciate the quick remarks, they never got past the "oh, it sucked because it mixed some stuff in other animes together" and "it was so lame I deleted it after five minutes" kind of comments. If anyone has seen it, I'd like to know what actually turned them off (or on) about the episodes.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:03 AM   #5   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

As posted by John the Anime Guru from Animenation

Episode 1 comments
Which leads me to L/R Licensed by Royal. Someone really should have told the staff of this show that mysteries are supposed to be mysterious. In a good mystery, the criminal is never who the viewer expects, and the killer's methods are always ingenious or shocking or unexpected. The first episode of L/R started off with a worthless stolen item, introduced a bland and forgetable detective, had the most painfully obvious character commit the crime in the most unoriginal and mundane way possible, then solved the entire crime with the simple logic of "you were the only person not in the room when it happen; therefore it must be you." Compounding the show's numerous faults was its reliance on background music to try to compensate for the weaknesses in the writing. Unfortunately, the music overcompensated and eliminated any glimpses of atmosphere or tension or suspense or mystery from this mystery show. The music itself may not be bad, but it's simply so out-of-place that it seems like the music was added in to the show by someone that never actually watched the show as it was being edited together. I may give this series another chance, but if I don't see a massive improvement, I won't be sticking around.

Episode 2 comments
I worked in episode 2 of L/R. To my disappointment, the second episode was even worse than the first. I simply don't understand the reasoning behind infiltrating the enemy's base just to trick him into getting arrested by a military raid. If you're already committed to using military force, and you already know where his hideout it, and his guards are obviously inept, why not just raid the base in the first place instead of playing all the time consuming and ultimately pointless double-cross games? The entire dilemma in this episode could have been resolved quickly in 5 minutes, but instead it was padded out to 25 minutes by a script that hoped viewers would just accept idiotic, unnatural behavior without question. Since I've got episode 3, I'll watch it too, but if I don't see an improvement on an epic scale, I won't be watching any of this series beyond episode 3.

Episode 3 comments
After L/R episode 3 I've decided that I'm giving up on this show. Since I don't want to indulge it, just let me say this, the show sucks.

http://animenation.net/forums/showth...&pagenumber=10

Last edited by Westlo; 04-03-2003 at 03:06 AM.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2003, 03:48 PM   #6   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

I've seen episode 1 and 2 of L/R. It didn't impress me. If I want to see some new hot male detectives, I'll watch Getbackers instead. (Especially since I hear the show gets really good later.)

The plot just wasn't that interesting and the music SUCKED!!!! Maybe they were trying a Cowboy Bebop-ish jazz-ish score, but it's horrible and glaringly doesn't fit.

I'm going to watch one more episode though because it look like they introduce a new character who may or may not spice up this show. (More likely not. She looks like an Ed-clone...)
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2003, 07:38 PM   #7   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Damn.

I was hoping it would turn out cool, especially the Beatles influences that were repeatedly mentioned in the Newtype.
Old 13-03-2003, 08:55 PM   #8   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzten
Damn.

I was hoping it would turn out cool, especially the Beatles influences that were repeatedly mentioned in the Newtype.
me too...

i'll still check it out when its released on dvd though.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2003, 08:58 PM   #9   [permalink]
Petezilla
Executive Member

The beatles as in the beatles the pop group from the 50-60-70's ?
Petezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #10   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Hmm, yeah I can see the Beatles influences. I think they were definitely attempting that in the music. I'm not so sure it came out quite right, but I'm no Beatles expert so I can't really judge. At times, the soundtrack was nice and upbeat, like in the opeing which was pretty good. However, at other points in the episode they should have gone for something more subtle.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #11   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I command thee thread, resurrect thyself! With me helping...

I'm sorry, but this anime was so bad I had to come straight to AB to check to see why nobody warned me how bad it was. Or re-warn. Or just harp on about what an awful waste of 20 minutes or whatever it was.

But the review Drizzten linked to pretty much said it all. I felt like I was being forced to like the detective by having him be:
1. Blonde
2. Suave
3. "hip" background music whenever he spoke.

The 'mystery' was no mystery. 1 look at the woman's face as she left the room pretty much told me she was running off to move evidence. It was sooo weaksauce.

And then they have the face-changing detective at the end. His little face changing routine would be impressive in live action, but there is nothing that fantastic about it. Hell, you couldn't possibly wear that many masks at once anyway, or wouldn't. Especially if you had no further use for them. The fight scene was stupid. The woman knocked the guy over the edge.. then FOLLOWED HIM OVER. What the fark is that? Just cut his rope you retard. Gravity will do the rest.

And the final straw on that poor camel's back, was the depressed professor saying "I'm ruined." or "you foiled me" or whatever that really lame cliche is.

Oh and I was also wondering whether anyone else was seriously creeped out by the fascist nature of the thing. At no point did the detective seem to indicate that anyone cared about the monetary loss of someone selling off private property. The thing THEY were worried about over and over was "The dignity of the royalty". I agreed with the professor. The object's value is determined by it having a value declared to it by somebody that others will listen to. Nobody would care about some eccentric from several centuries ago. But no, that isnt good enough for the royals. Their dignity has to be protected.

Only the ------- Japanese could still write like that, surely. I got a major "ewww" feeling when he calls someone at the end and says "The dignity of the royals has been protected". Yes, I'm sure thats a wonderful society to live in.

Get Backers it aint.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote