Old 05-03-2003, 06:24 AM   #1   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Question Azumanga Daiou?

Lately, I have been hearing so much buzz about about this show that it is driving me nuts! Has anyone seen this show? Is it good? What's about? I'm suprised that no one has talked about it here since it seems to be the most popular anime at this moment?
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:04 AM   #2   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Azumanga Daioh - Very sweet, insanely funny, light hearted series which centers the lives of all the high school girls and their teachers. The most memorable character is mihama Chiyo: the child prodigy who has started high school at the age of ten (10).
Kawaii Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:46 AM   #3   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

I prefer Kimura-sensei. He's got the same reasons for teaching as me and GTO
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 09:45 AM   #4   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MDWigs Send a message via Yahoo to MDWigs
As a whole I felt more attached to the characters in this anime than I expected to be. It brought back a lot of memories of highschool for me, good memories, memories of ordinary stuff, funny stuff, things that happened, pranks we played, problems we faced. This show is so warm and good natured that I can't help but love it. I doubt it will ever see a proper western release though. Despite the fact that some things in human nature are universal, this anime contains too many Japanese cultural references for me to think it will be picked up for distribution to the occidental world.
MDWigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:33 AM   #5   [permalink]
akwan50
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to akwan50
Just copied and pasted my response from a different message board:

Here' something from AnimeNFO:
Azumanga Daio is originally serialized in a very popular "Electric Shock Daio" manga. The story revolves around high school girls. Each main characters have colorful and attractive personality for comic fans, such as gifted 10 years old highschool girl, cool highschool girl, natural highschool girl, highschool girl with glasses and weird older teachers. Based on four panel comic, each episode is rather short around five minutes.

Basicaly, it's about a group of girls who go through 3 years of high school together. It basically has no plot, but that doesn't matter because what makes Azumanga Daioh great are the characters and the hilarious moments. The show is like a sitcom. The girls are put into pretty normal situations and the vewier gets to see how they handle each situation they're put in, and is mostly done in a very comedic manner. This show is definitely not for everyone, but it definitely is only of the funniest titles I've ever come accross.
#1 Inuyasha fan. :D
akwan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:28 AM   #6   [permalink]
hGh
Forum Junkie

Watch it. I was hooked from the fist episode. Currenly, me beeing in a period when I don't watch much anime, it's one of the few series I bother with once in a while. It is sure to make you feel all positive and happy - something like that can be handy sometimes.
hGh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #7   [permalink]
[EVA 0-0]Rei Ayanami
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to [EVA 0-0]Rei Ayanami
Ive watched upto episode 5 so far. Its really a bit too sugary sweet for me. I do recognise it as a good anime however, as I can happily watch a few episodes when I have the time, but sometimes u can just get too much of the hyper cutey ness ne?
[EVA 0-0]Rei Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:05 PM   #8   [permalink]
hGh
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by [EVA 0-0]Rei Ayanami
Ive watched upto episode 5 so far. Its really a bit too sugary sweet for me. I do recognise it as a good anime however, as I can happily watch a few episodes when I have the time, but sometimes u can just get too much of the hyper cutey ness ne?
Yeah, I know what you mean. I usually take it two episodes at a time. Sometimes I just skip to the funniest scenes. Although a major plus for Azumanga Daioh is that it's sweet in its own distinct way. It's got its own unique style of kawaiiness.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:11 AM   #9   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

I was skeptical but no, it really is a great show. It's based on a four-panel gag manga, so as you can imagine, the format is a little different than your usual anime. Each episode is broken down into 3-4 segments, though each of them cover roughly the same theme, i.e. a trip to the beach, studying for finals, the first dream of the new year (a personal favorite) and so on.

So you know the setting (calling it a plot would be incorrect), and you know that almost everyone thinks it's solid gold. I've rarely seen the net community so close to unanimous. But what is it like? The best description I can come up with is 'a harem comedy without a dopey male lead for all the girls to swoon over.' Someone else summed it up as 'cute girls doing cute things.' Does that sound like your cup of tea? It is cute but it is also funny and you'll get to know all of the characters very well. It might turn you into a pile of goo, but it won't rot your teeth. YMMV, of course.

Download an episode or two. Pick a favorite girl (Sakaki-san!); everyone who watches it does. Become dangerously obsessed.

Skip the last part at your discretion.
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:37 AM   #10   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Thanks guys!

I did what Dryden-san said and downloaded a couple of episodes
and I must say.....this is the cutest show I have ever seen. Especially mihama Chiyo. Her voice is so cute. Damn, all the female characters act cute and are cute. I found the show hilarious too. I must admit that its too sugary at times, which I like in a weird sort of way. I am thinking about buying the 1st boxset, but its 14800 yen!! Is it worth every penny?

Last edited by ACE2001; 06-03-2003 at 02:39 AM.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:52 AM   #11   [permalink]
Kajak

Send a message via ICQ to Kajak
i've seen it, and it is one of the greatest animes i've laid my eyes upon. you should see it, especially if you like twisted schoolgirls and what they do on their spare time.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:34 AM   #12   [permalink]
hGh
Forum Junkie

You know, with the popularity it has, somebody should licence it outside of Japan despite its heavy Japanese cultural references. Hell, they shouldn't even bother with the dub and get it done faster and cheaper. Also, just like in the fansub versions, they should add comments about specific Japanese things - it would definitely set a new precedent.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:29 PM   #13   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
I really enjoy Azumanga Daiou. Sure it's (at times) somewhat peculiar but it's just good fun.
I particularly like Tomo because she has the best introductory speech ever in the history of anime
And when I saw the first scene when that teacher kicks the crap out her bicycle (ep1) I just cacked myself laughing

And may I add that Azumanga Daiou also has THE MOST irratatingly catchy opening theme
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:32 AM   #14   [permalink]
hGh
Forum Junkie

Ah... yes... I forgot to add my favorite character. It's a hard choice, but I think it would be Osaka. She just cracks me up with her often unappropriate comments. For example "This caffee is so cute that it makes you go 'what the hell !'. Don't worry, there aren't any dead cats or dogs in there'". And who could forget the incident when she becomes a serieal killer - that is a riot.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:37 AM   #15   [permalink]
SaMADog
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to SaMADog Send a message via AIM to SaMADog
Does the introduction song make any sence?
I really enjoyed watching this anime. The last few anime's I've been watching have been mecha's which isn't true to life. Its really refreshing to see an anime about life in general.
My fav character is Kagura, not idea why.... Shes just the best