Old 13-04-2003, 01:07 AM   #1   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Scrapped Princess

So, to start yet another thread on an April anime... who's seen it?

I know from the couple April anime threads that there were a few people interested in this, but have any of you caught it yet? I just got done watching it and although I'm not the biggest fan of the fantasy genre in any form, this one has really piqued my curiosity.

I won't discuss much more until I see who's seen it.
Old 13-04-2003, 03:09 PM   #2   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

I've seen it! I'm going to follow this one, it looks like it could be good.

I can't tell if they are going to make this a comedy or a serious, angsty drama. I think its going to get really serious, there are some big hints of this in the first episode. (But then, this kinda makes the humour a little strained...)

So far, I LOVE the character designs. But I can't tell if I like the main character, Pacifica, yet.

How many episodes is this going to be? 26?

Anyway, here's the official website:
http://www.sutepri.com/
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2003, 04:31 PM   #3   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

All the characters shown so far have been intriguing. There's a mysterious flair about each of them.. that's the main reason this anime may get me hooked. Well, except for Raquel, the older sister of Pacifica. She.... she's just funny dammit. She's got that motherly appeal about her and she even speaks in the Belldandy/Kasumi voice, but her attitude is more outgoing and mischievious and silly. Such a contrast, yet it works so well.

Oh, and I agree. It seems it may bounce back and forth between comedy and drama but as the story progresses, it may favor more drama than comedy. Serious, I can deal with, but hopefully it won't be too angst-ridden as you mention. As for episode count, I have no clue but it seems it has an ample amount of story to span 26 episodes.

Last edited by oppa; 13-04-2003 at 04:32 PM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2003, 05:24 PM   #4   [permalink]
Shinnentai

I've watched the first ep of this and I can't say that I'm too impressed. The animation was fairly mediocre, and the level of detail was nothing special, despite some nice looking spell effects (inspired by Oh My Goddess! perhaps?).

The character designs seemed fairly tame to me & the eyes looked a bit too large for my liking (I know, I know, they're not that big compared to some series, I guess I've just grown accustomed to the more realistic character designs which seem to be appearing in a lot of anime these days). I do like those high collared cloaks though - very cool. Oh, & don't get me started on the ridiculous names, sheesh.

I'll admit that the whole fated to bring doom to the world thing sparked my interest a bit, & on the whole, the first ep didn't actually do anything particularly badly - it's just that it has'nt exactly excelled either. As with shows such as Trigun & Rurouni Kenshin, Scrapped Princess is a watchable combo of action, drama, & comedy, so my opinions of it may seem a bit harsh, but I've also recently watched the first ep of Last Exile, which pushes so many boundaries in terms of what an anime series can achieve that it totally owns Scrapped Princess & others of it's ilk.

Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy anime in a fantasy setting then Scrapped Princess fits the bill, just don't go into it with overly high expectations. Being so spoiled for choice in terms of available anime series, maybe I'm being too picky in the ones which I'll commit to, but it is the one sure way to avoid anime fatigue .
Shinnentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #5   [permalink]
Sylvan
Executive Member

i really liked the first episode, it was great how it was actually funny when the show actually tried to be funny. i cant say thats true for almost all other anime out there.
Sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #6   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I didn't know this was being done by Studio Bones, hows the animation compare to say RahXephon/Wolf's Rain

And how silly is this compared to Rune Soldier oppa? Say Rune Soldier is a 10 on the silly scale and Lodoss War is a 1 where would Scrapped Princess fit in?

And I think Anime-Keep are releasing episode 2 later today.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #7   [permalink]
Sylvan
Executive Member

its not as good as wolf's rain but its not far from it at all. the series doesnt seem that silly at all, id probably give it a 5
Sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2003, 05:00 AM   #8   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Second episode is out, but I'm gonna have to check it out tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally posted by Westlo
And how silly is this compared to Rune Soldier oppa? Say Rune Soldier is a 10 on the silly scale and Lodoss War is a 1 where would Scrapped Princess fit in?
With only one episode to use as a baseline, it's be hard to be accurate. I'd be inclined to guess close to what Sylvan said, 5. The overall mood of the first episode seems to lead towards one of those series' that remain somewhat lighthearted at the beginning, but gets real serious later on.

Just to note: If silliness is measured on a scale of 1 to 10, Rune Soldier would definitely be an 18. hehehe... Louie Punch!

On a selfish note, I hope the series turns out to be a good one. I just have trouble really getting into fantasy animes (the serious kinds, Louie doesn't count.. he's too zany not to like). I just wanna watch an appealing fantasy anime for once. One that I'll actually finish.
Old 19-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #9   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Um... yea, caught the second episode of this today as well. (That would only make sense if my posts were read in chronological order, but meh..)

Back on track... I'm gonna have to raise the rating a bit. The first episode was in the middle of the silliness scale but the second episode pushed it up a couple notches. Especially with the addition of the white wannabe knight (who's name eludes me but I really wouldn't care to remember it anyway).

Still, the characters and the overall "scrapped princess" story are enough to keep me interested.
Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #10   [permalink]
HTT

Leopold Scorpse(or something).

It's one of the better ones, in my opinion.
HTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I caught the first two episodes of this last night, and I didn't really think it was that silly at all. There were plenty of silly parts, I suppose, but I thought that underlying feeling was pretty dark. Of course, what else can you expect from a series whose main character is foretold to bring down doom on the entire world?

The characters seem interesting, and there's some complexity in their relationships. Animation was fairly good. Overall, I'd say it's not one of the best things I've seen this year so far, but it's pretty good entertainment while I'm waiting for the next episodes of those other series to come out.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #12   [permalink]
DeeD

i'm surprised no one talked more about this anime.
with 8 eps out already, i find that it's a real kick ass anime.
DeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:13 AM   #13   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

At least for me, there hasn't been much going on in the anime that warranted any discussion. I'm still enjoying it after 8 episodes. They need to get into the meat of the main story soon though. I'm getting antsy trying to figure out what's gonna happen.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:35 PM   #14   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I'm really starting to enjoy this one. Lots of things happening, lots of interesting characters, lots of fight scenes... and man, is Shannon hot... Not that that's the only reason I watch it.... Ahem.

Poor Pacifica. Although I wonder what those Mauser people are thinking. Sure, I understand they're trying to get rid of the prophesied bringer of doom... but won't all these pesky pursuits and assassination attempts end up just making her mad and vengeful, leading to her actually bringing the prophesy to pass? You'd think that if they received such a prophesy, they'd send people to watch her, and once they found out she's just a cute but spoiled kid they'd leave her alone. Don't provoke the behemoth, and you won't get yourself killed.

Are any of you still watching this? It's one of the better things I've seen that's coming out right now.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:34 PM   #15   [permalink]
Timon
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
Quote:
Originally posted by dheu

Poor Pacifica. Although I wonder what those Mauser people are thinking. Sure, I understand they're trying to get rid of the prophesied bringer of doom... but won't all these pesky pursuits and assassination attempts end up just making her mad and vengeful, leading to her actually bringing the prophesy to pass?
heh, it's kinda like in Trigun, how when people recognize Vash they go berserk and end up doing more damage to the their town themselves... kinda

neway, seen up to ep 11 and I like this series a lot. Seems to be all around good (good character design, animation, story, etc). The story seems to have some depth to it too, with all the fate, and right/wrong and chivalry stuff, freedom and choice, the whole defying god thing, the development of the world itself with its history and all the locations, and I really like the spell casting (classic incantation style~)

At first I thought it was neat how they hinted at the history of the world (like the futuristic space ship and robot (the bugs) stuff). It seems the story is heading deeper into exploring these things though, which I wasn't expecting. Most times you have a complex story a lot is left unexplained, and you just have to accept the premises the story throws out, but it seems that they might go and explain nearly everything during the run of the series.

The character development seems ok. At first you feel sorry for Pacifica with her talking about how bad she is for the world and that it would be better if she hadn't been even born. In the 5th or 6th ep when she gets poisoned she goes on about that again. This was the first time it started to annoy me and thoughts something akin to "jeez I wish she'd just shut up/I hope she doesn't keep this up for the rest of the series/do the people making this actually think we feel sorry for her anymore? she's becoming way to whiney". But then right after her rant Shannon tells her off, and then you realise that you were led exactly into feeling just what they wanted you to feel, and they KNEW they could get you feeling that way by that point. Anyway, being outsmarted is always a plus imo
Can also personally relate to at least the brother/sister relationship stuff so that adds to my enjoyment. Though I would like to see more done with Raquel... knows "just a little magic" my foot

Last edited by Timon; 03-07-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote