Old 26-06-2003, 08:59 AM   #1   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Unhappy She, The Ultimate Weapon =(

I finished watching it yesterday and I must say that it was truly the most depressing and emotional series that I have EVER seen. I couldn't help but feel sad for most of the characters. I truly felt their pain. I haven't had that experience with any other anime. Not even with EVA. No, this was way worse than EVA. I nearly came close to tears several times while watching this. Then, I just cried. It was too much for me. So much sadness and destruction. I felt like my heart was being ripped from my chest. I never felt so much emotional pain as to what went through when watching this. It has it's happy moments, but it's very few.....I don't know if I can watch it again. The music was very depressing to as well, although it wasn't meant to be. Particularly the opening sequence. When I watched the last episode, their was a huge sigh of relief coming from me. Which brings me to this conclusion, this is the probably one of the best anime series I have seen. Truly remarkable. I suggest people see this now if they can. This is what anime is all about.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 09:41 AM   #2   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
The music was meant to be depressing, I think. If you watched episode 00, the singer said that she had composed and sang the songs in order to convey the emotions of the series. The emotions of the characters are so clearly conveyed, and the pain just comes off the screen at you. I know a few people who cried within the first five episodes.
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 10:27 AM   #3   [permalink]
akwan50
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to akwan50
Thumbs up

Glad you enjoyed Saishuuheiki Kanojo so much. To me, it is easily GONZO's best work to date. They took a much different step in going for something deep and dramatic rather than the usual fun stuff(which I enjoy). Of course, credit has to be given to the manga author, but kudos to GONZO for making a good transition. I'd even go as far as saying this is the best anime of 2002, IMO. Definitely has a place in my top 5.

I also found this series to get better and better(along with sadder and sadder) as the show went on. Episode 9 was like episode 19 of RahXephon because it was an absolute emotional rollercoaster. Like RahXephon episode 19, SaiKano episode 9 was one of the best single episodes of 2002.
#1 Inuyasha fan. :D
akwan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 10:53 AM   #4   [permalink]
Phantom Angel
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom Angel
then you obviously haven't seen Bersek and Eva.

But yes, Saikano was a truly thouching series, and Episode 9 was the saddest episode ever.

ALL THEY EVER WANTED TO DO WAS TO BE IN LOVE!

*sniff*
Phantom Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 11:13 AM   #5   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Just to let you know Phantom Angel, I have seen all of Berserk and Eva. It's just that none of them hit me as hard as Saikano did. I just didn't have that same feeling watching Berserk. I don't know why, I just didn't. The same goes for Eva. Although I do admit that the EOE was particularly sad, but they really don't compare when it comes to Saikano. Damn man, Saikano is depressing. Period. Death comes left and right like no ones business. What makes the story even more worse (in a good way) is that Shuji and Chise's love for each other cost everyone one their lives. No one was spared a quarter. Nowhere to run. No where to hide. No choice. At least in Berserk and Eva, people had choices. All these people died without much of a fighting chance. Chise was the Ultimate Weapon Man. Hell, she could (or did) destroy an entire planet at the blink of a damn eye without even a thought. I broke down when Akemi died in Shuji's arms. That was some painful ----. You can't tell methat wasn't painful. Dying in arms of the person you just confessed your love knowing they love somebody else. It doesn't get any worse that. Say what you want. This is the most moving piece of anime I have seen. EVER.
Old 26-06-2003, 12:26 PM   #6   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
The reason why EVA is comparitively less "emotionally traumatising" than Saikano is because of the characters. Sure, Shinji and Asuka and such were totally f***ed up, but the viewer is able to identify more with Chise and Shuji. They were not remote psychological cases, but rather, could be seen as nearly friends of the viewer, because their lives were so normal and their relationships were typical of adolescents. The last farewell party, the dying of friends, one by one contrasted with the normal and relatively happy life before...these become very wrenching.

I think perhaps what is a very poignant thing is the remote war which was going on. No one could stop themselves from destroying each other, and in the end, even when the rest of the world was destroyed, the planes kept coming in a desperate attempt to eradicate Shuji's town as well.

Well, has anyone finished the manga yet? I heard the ending was different.
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 02:05 PM   #7   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to APF
I just want to clarify, here: this is Saikano, right? Same thing?
APF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 04:34 PM   #8   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by APF
I just want to clarify, here: this is Saikano, right? Same thing?
Yep, Saikano for short.

I thought this was a pretty gut-wrenching series as well. It was pretty sad when Shuji's mother looks at a photo of her son with all his friends and notes that everyone is dead in that picture except for her son. Or when Shuji's friend wants to go to war to protect a girl who doesn't even like him. He died for nothing and deep down he knew it, but he didn't want to believe that.

I think the romance wasn't really the saddest part for me at all. It was all the little characters and the war.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #9   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
I saw the first episode of this series and this episode was in my opinion a summation of everything that is utterly wrong with the anime industry. The almost pedophilic look of the relationship between the title character and her boyfriend (am I the only one creeped out by the fact the main character looks like she's 12 and her boyfriend looks like he's in his late 20s?), the over the top emotional content, and then her actually being some kind of robot were just complete stupidity. This episode screamed to me desperation to make a buck. A disappointment from the studio that made the magnificient Blue Sub 6 which seemed to avoid the cliches that this episode perpetuated. It may get better but that first episode was a complete and utter turn off for me to be honest.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 02:22 AM   #10   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

For the above post this smilie will suffice

Anyway my thoughts on this series were perfectly summed up by Akwan50 except replace SaiKano (which is 2nd imo) as the best of 2002 with RahXephon. Apart from that though he summed up my thoughts perfectly and this is the best anime Studio Gonzo have done period.

Hey ACE2001 have you seen Grave Of Fireflies and if you have which anime is more depressing, just curious since I haven't seen that.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 03:44 AM   #11   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

I loved Saikano. Really touching stuff. I agree that Chise looked closer to 12 than 17, even if she was supposed to be small and clumsy. But that is one hell of a powerful story, and definitely worth watching.

We never saw Chise going into combat with lots of missiles and guns firing everywhere and blowing things up, and that was good. Most anime would have played up that aspect and made war look exciting and fun. Saikano showed the other side of it, with people suffering and dying as a result. Chise wasn't happy that she destroyed entire cities, she never wanted to be a weapon. The story is about what it does to her, not just about what the weapon does to other people. It didn't glorify war, or make it righteous or justified. Nobody even knew who the enemy were!

Congrats to all the people responsible for making Saikano. It would have been so easy to turn it into a cliche or a soap opera, and it is to their credit that they didn't fall into that trap.
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 06:29 AM   #12   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Nope, I haven't seen Grave of Fireflies. I heard that it was depressing too, I am going to have to check in on that one. I like to add a couple of more things:

I must admit, the first episode of the series completely threw me off. I really didn't see most of the stuff that took place later in the episodes coming. I thought that the atomopshere would be somewhat relaxed, but of course I was wrong. Another reason why this hits so hard to me, as a couple of people here already interated, is the characters are so much more realistic than Eva or Berserk. I am sure that most people here would be able to identify with what the characters when through. Plus the fact that alot of military action was going on, which hit me hard too because I'm in military, so I was to grasp alot of what was going on. Two things that I didn't understand about the series was whom was she fighting and why was she chosen to be the Ultimate Weapon? Maybe I have to read the manga to find out. It just seemed to come out of nowhere. I would have liked to know whom she was fighting with, but I am being picky here.

Another reason why I like Saikano is, that it's straightforward, unlike Evangelion. No stone was left unturned. They let everything out there, which was pretty bold if you ask me.

I also heard a rumor that the last three episodes are optional to watch? If stop at episode 10, that's supposed to provide the happy ending so to speak. I can't say enough about this series. Truly one of my all-time favorites.
Old 27-06-2003, 07:59 AM   #13   [permalink]
Eddy
Forum Master

I dunno about she the ultimate weapon, but Raphaxeon was just such a blatant rip off of eva and gundam i couldnt be bothered to buy a rehash series featuring the same idead that have been used before..with bad animation and ugly designed characters.

"There's a molester in your bathroom"-Oh my Goddess

"Akito! come join me in the shower!-Nadesico
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 09:33 AM   #14   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MDWigs Send a message via Yahoo to MDWigs
Heh I'm glad I'm heading to the airport in 6 hours and wont have to deal with the fallout of the above comment ^_^

I loved SaiKano. I thought it was incredibly emotional. I've discussed it in depth in the other SaiKano thread (and on AN) so I wont go into it all here again (plus I've got to pack!)

As for Grave of the Fireflies, I think it's pretty much the best anime ever made (that's best mind you, not favourite). It is terribly depressing, but not in a surrealistic way (as in SaiKano) but in a brutally realistic manner. There are no SF elements in GOTF, nothing to detract from the suffering that you just know so many real people went through during that era.

That's part of why I think GOTF had a lot more impact compared to Now and Then, Here and There (another anime that deals with children and war, and some much more horrific things than happens in GOTF). GOTF feels real, and the fate of the characters (though revealed right at the start) is something you care about incredibly.

Anyway this will probably be my last post for about a month. Don't let this thread turn into too much of an Eva V Rah thread please guys ^_^
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
MDWigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #15   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Heh I'm glad I'm heading to the airport in 6 hours and wont have to deal with the fallout of the above comment ^_^

Anyway this will probably be my last post for about a month. Don't let this thread turn into too much of an Eva V Rah thread please guys ^_^

Don't worry about it I'll let it pass consider who it came from, if we did have a debate about it he would probably bring in Gundam Wing like every other thread he posts in

Have fun while in japan and if you read this when you get back which anime would you consider more depressing out of SaiKano and NTHT?

I also heard a rumor that the last three episodes are optional to watch? If stop at episode 10, that's supposed to provide the happy ending so to speak. I can't say enough about this series. Truly one of my all-time favorites

Well if you want a happy ending for SaiKano you stop at episode 10 period but honestly who would stop? I wonder if anyone has.....I might ask this on AN since they have more fansub viewers than AB.

And I really must get around to watching GOTF one day and every other Studio Ghibli movies I haven't seen.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote