Old 27-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #16   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
I've watched GOTF...It is a classic of course, from Ghibli. However, if I were to be asked which was better, I would say Saikano. But just to clarify things, I asked my sister.

"Which is sadder, GOTF or Saikano?"

"Hmmm...GOTF."

"Why?"

"GOTF is more 'normal' and more realistic than Saikano, because those people suffering are just normal people and normal children, and it is very possible that it would have been a true story. Besides Saikano has some sex and romance stuff that is not really that good."

I'm glad Westlo dealt with the two replies that nearly killed the discussion though. Kudos.
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 10:42 AM   #17   [permalink]
MDWigs
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MDWigs Send a message via Yahoo to MDWigs
Ok I lied in my previous post. I've decided not to go to sleep tonight so I'm nice and tired and can sleep on the plane tomorrow. So that gives me time to finish packing and post again to the forums!

Westlo:

Don't worry about it I'll let it pass consider who it came from, if we did have a debate about it he would probably bring in Gundam Wing like every other thread he posts in

But RahXephon is a total rip of Gundam Wing! ^^

Have fun while in japan and if you read this when you get back which anime would you consider more depressing out of SaiKano and NTHT?

Thank's man. I certainly plan to.

As for SaiKano v NTHT, well I think they are each depressing in different ways. SaiKano is a lovers' tragedy and if you consider love as the most powerful emotion of all, then it is certainly the most depressing (and for me personally I found it had the biggest impact). On the other hand, NTHT is much more disturbing in my opinion. The specific events are much darker and upsetting, and their consequences are gut-wrenchingly depressive, but as an overall show though, it didn't effect me as much as SaiKano.

Well if you want a happy ending for SaiKano you stop at episode 10 period but honestly who would stop?

I think the rumour was started by whomever fansubbed that episode and added the warning at the end to stop now if you didn't want to be terribly upset. I have no idea who would actually stop though. It would defeat the whole purpose of the anime in my opinion.

I wonder if anyone has.....I might ask this on AN since they have more fansub viewers than AB.

I seem to recall some people talking about stopping on the main SaiKano thread in Coming Anime when that episode was first released. That would be sort of like watching Eva till episode 14 and then stopping. It would be a fun monster of the week anime, nothing great though, but you would completely miss the creatorís intention.

And I really must get around to watching GOTF one day and every other Studio Ghibli movies I haven't seen.

I highly recommend it. As I said, I think it's one of the greatest anime ever made. It's not my favourite anime eva (a Freudian slip pun there ^^) and it certainly isn't my favourite Ghibli anime (Totoro or Nausicaa), but it is just such a fantastic work of art. All the current releases are pretty average at the moment (and the gap between Macross Zero eps is huge) so make the most of the lull and find yourself a copy of this terrific movie.

Anyway this _will_ be my final post, I really do have to finish packing. Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your post in the Madman Rah thread, Iíve had a hectic last couple of days. You're right though, I haven't watched any DBZ, so I really have no basis for saying I don't like it. It was a good example to demonstrate my point though. Besides I haven't watched a single episode of Pokemon either

Anyway see everyone in a month.

P.S. icie, I think your sister summed it up perfectly. ^_^
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
MDWigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #18   [permalink]
jennwenn
Forum Addicted

I also didn't like the character designs all that much and the Japanese ideal of "cute and young" bothers me but in Saikano at least both Chise and Shuuji are supposed to be the same age. (I still thought it was a little weird seeing a girl like Chise have sex but at least it wasn't meant to be exploitative or anything like that.)

I think Saikano can be a love-it-hate-it deal. I've seen several posters on other forums say it is over-rated and the drama wasn't that appealing. That's a valid opinion. It really depends on who is watching it.

IMOP, I still think the "horrors of war" was much more depressing than Chise and Shuuji's tragic love.

So who do you guys think licensed Saikano? We already know its not Pioneer. Who else could it be? Bandai? For some reason I don't think its quite ADV or Funi material...I think I just can't imagine ADV's sensitive side.

Last edited by jennwenn; 27-06-2003 at 01:46 PM.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 03:13 PM   #19   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to DistMan
Imo, the whole war scenario and how people acted and interracted was what made saikano as good as it was, that part was what interrested me the most, not the Shuji-Chise trying to persevere their love no matter what.

***Heavy Spoilers will follow now***

The scene where this girl (can't remember her name but she likes shuji) talks to shuji after her house had been hit by a missile or something was really depressing. But it seemed so real. The blood from her had coagulated and made the bed cloth stick to her body, and then the desperation, then the sun-clear realization that she wont be able to make it and all that. It was probably one of the strongest scenes in SaiKano.

It was also interresting to see how Shujis ex-teacher acted, and how she dealt with the fact that her husband had died and all that.
DistMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #20   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Well, I am thinking (or hoping) that Bandai has it. Well, doesn't matter to me in any case since I already have the Region 2 Box Set which the DVD's are subtitled!

That scene you were talking about Distman, that was Akemi. I remember that scene very vivdly, IMO the turning point of the series. Just watching that whole scene just was too painful.
Fuyumi Senpai was one confused woman. In the end, I felt somewhat sorry for her, but then again she tried to cheat on her husband.

As far as being overated, to each to his or her own. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I believe that this series wasn't overated. It was painful. Maybe I'm sounding a bit dramatic here, but it's something rare when watching an anime that you are so emotionally evolved into the characters. This happened to be one of them. The animation didn't bother me too much. I was more into the story. The animation for the most part was average. Not to spectacular. The main focus was trying to get the story across which they did.

Last edited by ACE2001; 27-06-2003 at 03:47 PM.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #21   [permalink]
Eddy
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Westlo
[B]Don't worry about it I'll let it pass consider who it came from, if we did have a debate about it he would probably bring in Gundam Wing like every other thread he posts in
Well maybe thats because 95% of the threads i post are about gundam wing in the gundam forum?

Or maybe thats just me, maybe i should post about toaster ovens in the gundam forum instead?

"There's a molester in your bathroom"-Oh my Goddess

"Akito! come join me in the shower!-Nadesico
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #22   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

See he mentioned Gundam Wing and as for your suggestion go ahead and do it you might make more sense at times.

And yeah it will probably be either Pioneer or Bandai who license this and if I had to choose one it would probably be Pioneer.

As far as being overated, to each to his or her own. Everyone's entitled to their opinion

Exactly as long as the opinion's an educated one than if someone considers the series overated so be it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:30 PM   #23   [permalink]
akwan50
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to akwan50
Quote:
And yeah it will probably be either Pioneer or Bandai who license this and if I had to choose one it would probably be Pioneer.
Actually, it's not Pioneer. Someone who attended Fanime Con 2003 went to Pioneer's panel and asked them about Saishuuheiki Kanojo and they responded by saying it was picked up, but not by them. Announcement to be made at Anime Expo 2003. Hoping that it's FUNi, but would have no problem with Bandai. Gawd I hope it's not ADV.
#1 Inuyasha fan. :D
akwan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:27 PM   #24   [permalink]
Eddy
Forum Master

Quote:
See he mentioned Gundam Wing .
now thats just immature.

"There's a molester in your bathroom"-Oh my Goddess

"Akito! come join me in the shower!-Nadesico
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #25   [permalink]
z80

I just finished this series yesterday, and well...

Damn!

That was about the best anime I have seen in about a year. The ending was just harsh. I consider myself to be pretty manly (beats chest and chuggs a beer).. but I do believe a few tears creaped out. I watched up to episode 4 about a week ago and lost interest for a few days and started watching at #5 last night and couldnt stop watching it even though I had about 12 hours of driving to do today coming home from AFO4. If you haven't seen it, see it. If harsh endings bother you, eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream while watching it, but see it anyway.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 05:59 AM   #26   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

There are a lot of elements that make Saikano work, one of them is that neither Shuji nor Chise can stop what is happening. Even though Chise has all that power and can wipe out entire cities overnight, she still can't stop the war.

Akemi's death was very well done, including the fact that her father had gone looking for an ambulance even though he knew she wasn't going to live. He couldn't face being there when Akemi died, but Shuji did. It is so easy for an event like that to fall into cheesy melodrama, but this was very well handled.

There is a scene later (can't remember which ep) where Chise confronts the big brass and says "Now it's my turn" or something like that, and she wipes out the town and everyone in it. Then she hopes that her town is still safe and peaceful, and we see Akemi's swing lying twisted and broken on the ground. That scene is so powerful, because it is so understated.

Saikano is one of the two best series I have seen this year (the other is Haibane Renmei).
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 08:36 AM   #27   [permalink]
furikuri

I think the scene that summed it up for me was when the girl (jeez, now I can't remember her name) goes out looking for the downed pilot. That summed up the sheer waste of the whole war. I don't think I have ever cried that much at a piece of fiction (and I'm 43). After episode 9 I just couldn't bear to watch the rest for about three months, which was a mistake because the emotional edge of the series wore off and the last episodes lost their impact. Still one of my favorites, though.
furikuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 04:21 AM   #28   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

Smile

Saikano... is terrific... all 13 episodes...

In the time of war... Only Love will keep you alive...

Plus give Chise some "Eva Wings"... Plus a big canon... And she most definitely kicks @$$!

I would have to say it definitely rates 5 stars in most of my CuteAnimeGirl categories...

Kawaii~! 5 stars
Drama~! 5 stars
Fan Service~! 3 stars
Serious Butt whooping~! 5 stars...

~_~

Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:10 AM   #29   [permalink]
icie
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to icie
Well, if you are rating out of 5...

Kawaii: 3/5 (Chise is cute, but if we have to rate against stuff like Pita-ten, there is not much "kawaii")
Drama (inclusive of the touching scenes): 5/5
Intense/Thought provoking: 5/5 (these two are the strongest points after all)
Fan service: 3/5 (there are sex scenes, but they are more of the intense/drama category there)
Butt Whooping Action: 4/5

The Butt Whooping Action is 4/5 because I saw Gundam Seed (sorry about mentioning Gundam in this thread again, but it's relevant), and its action is more butt-whooping.

So, who has listened to the Special Edition soundtrack? Its great, full vocals of Yume Miru Tameni and also the full vocal and instrument of Hoshi no Hate (which was cut off in the OST, much to my angst).
icie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #30   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

Pitaten would be rated 6 out of 5... but it feels like an 8 year old anime...

I rate Saikano 5 out of 5 for Kawaiiness in the adult categories...

Also I've got 43 episodes of Gundam seed... In saikano you don't see Chise doing the butt kicking... But it's left to the imagination...
Also the butt kicking is done by the CuteAnimeGirl, thus bumping the butt whooping up to 5 out of 5 ~!

~_~

Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote