Old 27-06-2003, 09:17 PM   #1   [permalink]
Absolut Talent

Send a message via ICQ to Absolut Talent Send a message via AIM to Absolut Talent
Post unofficial poll: Who has better releases?

just curious as to who you like better out of the companies who release anime in the states (or bring it to other parts of the world)

Theres

-Pioneer (early DBZ dvds, lupin 3, Akira, hellsing)
-AnimeWorks (mezzoforte, ex-driver)
-Funimation (Dragonball Z/GT, Fruits basket)
-ADV (burn up w/excess, Noir, Excel Saga, robotech)
-Production I.G. (FLCL)
-Manga (ninja scroll, Perfect blue)
-Other (please list along with titles)

personally....i like ADV. Their translations are usually spot on and they havea lot of good titles out there (dunno why....but i am anxiously awaiting their US release of Azumanga Daioh)

And I am starting to HATE FUNimation...mostly cause they hack the hell outta any anime they get their hands on(dragonball Z/GT has to be their biggest examples of this happening)
Old 27-06-2003, 10:09 PM   #2   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to APF
Synch-Point. Everything about their release of FLCL was impeccable. ADV really has nothing going for it other than volume of titles.
APF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #3   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
you have got to be joking ADV has most of the best releases followed by Bandai then Pioneer after that i would have to say Media Blasters then Right Stuf I know manga should be in there but they do nothing but ---- me off ever since the Evangelion Drama
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 10:58 PM   #4   [permalink]
akwan50
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to akwan50
Re: unofficial poll: Who has better releases?

Quote:
Originally posted by Absolut Talent
And I am starting to HATE FUNimation...mostly cause they hack the hell outta any anime they get their hands on(dragonball Z/GT has to be their biggest examples of this happening)
Aisde from Dragon Ball releases, they are a good company. Look at Fruit's Basket. A popular 26-episode series put on only 4-discs. I also think that Yu Yu Haksho has been a good release. Whenever FUNi picks something up, I am happy because I believe they will do an adequete job. They have some of the best translations for subtitles in the business, and their recent dubs have been pretty good. Currently, FUNi is a good comany and getting better. They are long past their old days.
#1 Inuyasha fan. :D

Last edited by akwan50; 27-06-2003 at 10:59 PM.
akwan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 11:45 PM   #5   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Re: unofficial poll: Who has better releases?

Quote:
just curious as to who you like better out of the companies who release anime in the states (or bring it to other parts of the world)

Theres

-Pioneer (early DBZ dvds, lupin 3, Akira, hellsing)
pioneer only distributed the early dbz dvd's (except the three movies), production was done by FUNimation

Quote:

...how did they hack dbz/gt? last time i checked, they were uncut on dvd. season 1 and 2 are coming soon newly dubbed and uncut, so i just dont see whats wrong with them. they put out an AMAZNG release with Fruits Basket and Blue Gender and Lupin III movies, Yu Yu Hakusho is good, the only problem is that each dvd is 3 or 4 eps each (it'd be better if it was a steady 4 eps per dvd). its fine with YYH though becuase its really cheap (i get each volume for $14.99. anyhow, i cant wait for Kiddy Grade and Tenchi GXP from FUNi
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 11:54 PM   #6   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

(decided to make a new post...)

pioneer is my favorite, gorgeous cover arts, quality production on subs, dubs, extras, etc. bandai would be my next favorite, you can see the effort they put in in every dvd (especially the Platinum line). the only difference with them and pioneer is the titles
Old 28-06-2003, 12:02 AM   #7   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
In the past, it was Central Park Media, in league with or was U.S. Manga Corps.

I forget...
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2003, 01:24 AM   #8   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Re: Re: unofficial poll: Who has better releases?

Quote:
...how did they hack dbz/gt? last time i checked, they were uncut on dvd. season 1 and 2 are coming soon newly dubbed and uncut, so i just dont see whats wrong with them. they put out an AMAZNG release with Fruits Basket and Blue Gender and Lupin III movies, Yu Yu Hakusho is good, the only problem is that each dvd is 3 or 4 eps each (it'd be better if it was a steady 4 eps per dvd). its fine with YYH though becuase its really cheap (i get each volume for $14.99. anyhow, i cant wait for Kiddy Grade and Tenchi GXP from FUNi
Accually i have seen some of the orignal dvd's from japan and they are still editied even though they say it uncut. While they are not as edited as the eps they show on tv are they arte still cut up but not as much as people say they are.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2003, 01:29 AM   #9   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

This is, to the best of my recollections, these are the distributors

ADV Films
Pioneer Entertainment
Bandai Entertainment
FUNimation
Viz
Central Park Media*
Manga
TokyoPop
MediaBlasters (Under Subsidiary title "Anime Works")
AN Entertainment
AnimeEigo
The Right Stuf International
Synch-Point

*Central Park media has 3 subsidiary companies that distributes anime. Anime 18 which distributes Hentai, and Software Sculpters (Slayers), and U.S. Manga (Lodoss War) which distribute other anime. Recently they just decided to put the label Central Park Media on their anime.

AnimeWorks is some sort of subsidiary name for the anime titles released by MediaBlasters.

Now, ADV is one of the biggest. It has Evangelion, Rahxephon, Gasaraki, Noir, Rune Soldier, Excel Saga, Burn Up, Devil Hunter Yohko, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Blue Seed, Full Metal Panic, Lost Universe, Nadia, Dirty Pair and DPFlash, Those who hunt elves

Bandai Entertainment is the next biggest, with Cowboy Bebop, Crest of the Stars, Love Hina, .hacksign, Please Teacher, Geneshaft, Infinite Ryvius, etc...

Pioneer is still pretty strong. Has Vandread, Tenchi Muyo, El Hazard, X TV series, Ai Yori Aoshi, Chobits, Card Captor Sakura, Fushigi Yugi, Gatekeepers, HellSing, Mahoromatic, Lupin, Trigun, etc.

FUNimation has DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and a few others. They only release so many at a time.

Central Park Media: Now and Then, Here and There, Record of Lodoss War TV and OVA, Slayers and its sequels sans OVA and movie, DNA2, Patlabor, MD Geist, Revolutionary Girl Utena, etc...

After that, it's all small companies that release a bunch of titles people generally don't hear of, and occasionally get their hands on a big title.

Media Blasters has Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Deeper Kyo, and Twelve Kingdoms.

Viz is pretty much all about InuYasha and Project Arms. They do have Ranma though.

Tokyopop has Initial D, Real Bout High School, GTO, and Vampire Princess Miyu.

AN Entertainment has Risky Safety and after, that I have no idea.

RightStuf Has His and Her Circumstances, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and Boogiebop Phantom.

AnimeEigo has Your Under Arrest (Series, but not the Mini-Specials, ADV has those), Urusei Yatsura, The Vampire Princess Miyu OVA, Original Macross, and KOR.

Synch-Point has I'm gonna be an Angel and FLCL.

Manga mostly does movies. Ninja Scroll, Eva movies, etc.

I'd have to say my favorite would be ADV, then Pioneer, then Bandai, then Central Park Media, and then MediaBlasters since they come out with some, as they say, "A" titles.
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2003, 04:10 AM   #10   [permalink]
Absolut Talent

Send a message via ICQ to Absolut Talent Send a message via AIM to Absolut Talent
Re: Re: unofficial poll: Who has better releases?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatal Outlaw

...how did they hack dbz/gt? last time i checked, they were uncut on dvd.
last time I heard.....they started the GT from somewhere around episode 16 (with some small parts of 1-15 as a point of beginning)
you telling me that when a company releases a title starting about a fifth of the way in that its not hacked up? (and im not even gonna get into the new theme song BS)
Not to mention that the dvds themselves are not worth the money. The average has only 3 episodes, and they only include the same 5 trailers for their other titles with minimum or no extras. They are also behind with the releases. They havent released the rest of the cell sagas or any of the saiyaman sagas. Theres huge gaps between the release of the new dvds
Old 28-06-2003, 04:35 AM   #11   [permalink]
Kenshi
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Kenshi Send a message via MSN to Kenshi
Hmmm... I'd say ADV just because they did the Evangelion series not to mention Gasaraki, Noir, or Excel Saga , Manga for the Eva movies and Ninja Scroll, Bandai for Cowboy Bebop, and for fourth would be Pioneer (for Tenchi Muyo, Hellsing, and the Ah! My Goddess Movie).
Kenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2003, 12:10 PM   #12   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Re: Re: Re: unofficial poll: Who has better releases?

Quote:
last time I heard.....they started the GT from somewhere around episode 16 (with some small parts of 1-15 as a point of beginning)
you telling me that when a company releases a title starting about a fifth of the way in that its not hacked up? (and im not even gonna get into the new theme song BS)
Not to mention that the dvds themselves are not worth the money. The average has only 3 episodes, and they only include the same 5 trailers for their other titles with minimum or no extras. They are also behind with the releases. They havent released the rest of the cell sagas or any of the saiyaman sagas. Theres huge gaps between the release of the new dvds
its not hacked up becuase FUNi will release the first 15 episodes eventually. if you want to see it in order, then just wait until they release it on dvd. i dont understand why people think like FUNi wont release the first 15 episodes, db is funi's biggest cash cow, it wouldnt make sense if they didnt release it (besides, they already said they would release it).

as for being 'behind', well, just wait, at least its being released. heck, the dvd dbz boxsets theyve been releasing are extremly cheap. its a lot better than ADV, who sits down on follow up titles, im STILL waiting for the Nadesico movie and some word on Angelic Layer and Pretear.

and for that new dbgt theme song, then simple, switch to the original music track on the dvd's.

edit: as for the dvd's not being worth it b/c of 3 eps, well, i disagree. i get each dbz/gt dvd for $14.99. for that price, its worth every dollar.

Last edited by Fatal Outlaw; 29-06-2003 at 01:03 AM.
Old 28-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #13   [permalink]
pikarod

Send a message via AIM to pikarod Send a message via Yahoo to pikarod
Lightbulb

Simply for having the NGE series, I'll have to say ADV. Anyone who can carry the NGE series and carry it well has to be up there on my list.
Old 28-06-2003, 07:07 PM   #14   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Because the only series Im looking foward to getting on DVD is Angelic Layer and ADV has that I guess I will have to go with ADV second would probably be Pioneer because of Lupin III
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2003, 05:32 AM   #15   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I don't know which I would say I liked best. ADV, Pioneer, and Bandai all have consistently good releases. I loved Funimation's release of Fruits Basket; they did an amazing job of collecting extras and any company that puts such a great 26-episode series on 4 dvds wins my eternal gratitude. Synch-Point is also an awesome company: look at FLCL. FLCL is probably one of the best anime dvd releases I've ever seen. I wish every series had liner notes that informative.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote