Old 09-09-2003, 02:15 PM   #1   [permalink]
Maccy99
Forum Addicted

The Rise of Funimation

It all started with Dragonball Z, years ago, with a horrible dub and replacing all the music with a never ending cacophony synthesized crap. Then they bought Dragonball, and the dub was a litle better, the music was translated but left in. They also bought fruits basket, which is a great series, though I haven't heard the english. Also yu yu hakusho, and made a pretty good dub. They've bought a heck of a lot of good series now (they even got the third ova of Tenchi before pioneer.) This companies been rising fast the last couple of years and I'm not sure how to feel about that.
Maccy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 PM   #2   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Setting aside dub issues and music changes, what's your problem with Funimation? Certainly there's more here than you're letting on.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:55 PM   #3   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
funimation has been doing a great job, Funi is probably my favorite company after Pioneer and Bandai. Funi is one of the companies that actually listens to fans and they try to make every release better than standard.

anyhow, i dont see how anyone can still be angry at FUNi. they release all their stuff on dvd, uncut (dbz season 1 and 2 are coming, and GT 1-15 will be released eventually). they already proved that they can do an anime series justice
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:19 AM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Funimation did an amazing job on Fruits Basket. They deserve a lot of praise for that. Plus, they're moving into the market with some other good titles. If they do as well with those as with Fruits Basket, then I really see nothing to complain about.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 07:22 AM   #5   [permalink]
Midi surfer

Im happy with the way they did blue gender. I'll be even happier if when i get the DVD the original japanese song lyrics are part of the japanese audio track.
Midi surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:31 PM   #6   [permalink]
Maccy99
Forum Addicted

I'm not really angry. I was just wondering how other people felt about the company. I'm not really sure myself. They've done some good, but they've also screwed up royally in the past. Sure it's like a lot of companies but...I don't know. Does anyone like Funimation better than the other old companies like ADV, Pioneer, etc? I'm just wondering. It's interesting to see how the attitude toward them has changed in the past few years. Is funimation the future of anime? (it's kind of open ended but...)
Maccy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #7   [permalink]
Nilrem
Executive Member

Funimation have basically gone with the market.

from what i can tell they originally filled a role where they supplied kiddy versions of anime for TV (many many TV/DVD companies have started in a similar manner, producing a single show/series for a specific audience or TV channel).

They have since grown more experienced in producing English releases of anime, and moved on to more adult stuff (no longer relying on producing versions for kids TV).

They are no better or worse than any other company in the industry in that respect, i can't understand people's hatred towards them, i've lost track of the number of times i've seen comments along the lines of "but they'll ruin Tenchi/Kiddy Grade, look at what they did with DBZ" (totally ignoring FB and BG).

I wouldn't count them as the best or the worst (Kiseki are far worse), in the industry, but i do think they will probably continue to improve their output in the future (rather like Bandai, ADV and Pioneer have done).
Nilrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:31 AM   #8   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I really like Funimation.

Dragonball Z was their cash cow, a way for them to enter the market and gain a strong foothold.

Their subtitle translation is great much better than anything from ADV, Bandai & Pioneer.

Their release of Fruits Basket has been highly praised, Blue Gender & YYH were quite solid with th ep count being the main issue with people.

As Fatal said they release all their stuff uncut on DVD, sure the english dub of DBZ was bad but aren't we "purists" suppose to listen to the sub track anyway.

Can't wait to see how they go with Tenchi OVA 3, Tenchi GPX, Kiddy Grade, One Piece and whatever else they manage to pick up. (Hoping for Naruto and Saikano personally)

Does anyone like Funimation better than the other old companies like ADV, Pioneer, etc? I'm just wondering

Better than Bandai.. nope, Pioneer...nope, ADV yep

Funimation Fruits Baskets over 4 DVDs > ADV's RahXephon & Noir DVD releases over 7 DVDs.

Yeah but Funimation butchered DBZ some might say well look at Saint Seiya/Knights Of Zodiac release from ADV same thing as DBZ but at least Funi didn't change the name of the anime.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #9   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Maccy99
Does anyone like Funimation better than the other old companies like ADV, Pioneer, etc? I'm just wondering. It's interesting to see how the attitude toward them has changed in the past few years. Is funimation the future of anime? (it's kind of open ended but...)
i definatly like Funi more than ADV. the only advantage of ADV (to everyone) is their huge-ass catalog.

if things keep up, Funi might be as big a competitor for bandai/pioneer/adv
Old 29-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #10   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
All I can say after watching Blue Gender is, have the subtitles be the literal translation of the script and not just what the English version is.

And don't let them do their own editing, it was nuts how they took out all mentions or scenes or innudenos sex.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:32 AM   #11   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

There is two subtitle versions one a trasnlation and the other a copy of the english dub check it
Old 02-11-2004, 04:21 AM   #12   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

eh, not sure about Naruto since no one has made any bids to license it yet Westlo, but Saikano was licensed by Viz a long time ago...a LONG time ago...3 volumes out already, fourth and final coming out next month I believe.

And Funimation has done a great job of evolving into a great company. They may have had a sluggish start with Dragonball Z, but they're making up for it by not only giving fans uncut DVD's, but also a re-dub of the first 52 episodes, restoring the originally cut-out episodes, creating an uncut dialogue that is closer to the original, etc.

Funimation released Blue Gender and Kiddy Grade Uncut, the latter of which has a lot of fanservice and some disturbing Lolita undertones, and the former of which has actual sex scenes.

Funimation has reportedly done an excellent job with Full Metal Alchemist.

Funimation was the company that got 4Kids to start releasing Yugi-oh and Shaman King Uncut on DVD.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 04:24 AM   #13   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Oh, I see this thread is a year old. Never mind then Westlo...how'd this thing get ressurected anyhow?

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:54 PM   #14   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Robotech Master
Oh, I see this thread is a year old. Never mind then Westlo...how'd this thing get ressurected anyhow?
thank Black Knight for that.

anyhow, Fullmetal Alchemist. Good job Funi!
Old 09-11-2004, 10:31 AM   #15   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I was able to dl a tvrip of the first episode and I must say the dub was good.....

It's looking like being a dub in the class of Fruits Basket & Kiddy Grade....