Old 23-10-2003, 03:24 AM   #1   [permalink]
Bomberman00004
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Bomberman00004 Send a message via AIM to Bomberman00004 Send a message via Yahoo to Bomberman00004
Now and Then, Here and There

I went to Blockbuster tonight looking to rent an anime. They had all the usual... Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, etc. but I noticed three DVDs with a title I hadn't seen before. The anime was called Now and Then, Here and There, and on a whim, I rented the first DVD.
It contained five episodes of an amazing anime, of which I can't wait to view the rest of. This anime came out in 2002 apparently, which would explain why I hadn't heard much about it yet. I wonder if anyone else had had the pleasure of watching this series yet and what they thought of it...
Bomberman00004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 09:54 AM   #2   [permalink]
Midi surfer

I have had the pleasure of watching this utterly superb anime. It was highley reccomended so i ordered it off the net (Anime aint rented out around here).

It is without a doubt one of the most moving yet tragic stories ever told, and even though its only 13 eps long it feels much longer. I dont want to say much because i may spoil somthing, but im disgusted that this show is not mentioned more often.
Midi surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 10:13 AM   #3   [permalink]
Petezilla
Executive Member

would you mind just saying a little about the story to know what its about I'm guessing its a drama series from what you say.
Petezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 11:12 AM   #4   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
Without giving too much away.... There is a young boy (Shu is his name, I believe, but it's been about a year since I've seen it so I could be mistaken) who is transported to an alternate dimension. This is a desert world and it is at war. Lord Hamdo (the bad guy) is trying to take over the planet with his advanced technology. Shu, obviously, dislikes Hamdo, and wants to escape his compound and free his friend La La Ru. I liked the show a lot, but the only let down was the very abrupt ending, and lack of explanation about La La Ru's magic powers. Don't worry, I didn't spoil anything. This is a great show. Check it out.
Old 23-10-2003, 06:52 PM   #5   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
This anime manages to kick you in new, more painful ways as the story moves along. It is indeed very tragic and even more so because the main characters are so young. The things they have to go through are very ugly. One of the best parts about this anime is it's ability to deliver an honest moment without flinching.

Not for children.
Old 23-10-2003, 07:55 PM   #6   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

I hate it when, after long periods of time, someone comes in and posts something about NTHT. I always end up sitting there for minutes re-pondering and re-thinking about the anime.... and it manages to break my heart into pieces all over again. Yet, I still regard NTHT as one of the most incredible anime stories I've ever watched. *sigh* ...now I'm sad again.

I was actually thinking about this recently, and it's conveniently appropriate someone made a new thread about NTHT. I always had a bias against animes that used little kids for whatever reason (outside of comedy). I initially thought that for NTHT as well, way back when I watched it. Now, I feel the anime just wouldn't have been the same if the main characters were even 4 or 5 years older. NTHT uses the characters, within the environment as well as through interactions, to draw a very connecting emotion between us, the viewers, and them. Basically, we nearly "feel" what the anime characters "feel". By having the kids being so young, we become even more emotionally attached to the characters and feel that much worse when viewing them in their situations.

This might not make complete sense, since I'm just gathering my thoughts as I'm typing this, but here's a simple example: Imagine slave labor and sweat shops. If it's slave labor of people in their middle ages, we tend to feel sorry for them but if it's slave labor of kids under 10, we feel significantly more sorry for them and feel that it is incredibly immoral and unjust. Both situations are horrible, but the latter just seems worse. That's the point I was trying to make.

Anyway, just some random thoughts I had when I re-watched this series recently.
Old 24-10-2003, 12:31 PM   #7   [permalink]
EKnatsumi
Executive Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EKnatsumi
What I like about NTHT is the way it doesn't mince things, but also the way it doesn't show excessive gore in the process. For example, yes, we know about rape occuring in the series; no, it doesn't show it. What it does show is the agony it can cause to the person raped, as well as the people around her.

I also like that NTHT dealt with such issues. Even news usually avoids for more cheerful or more sensational things. It happens, it really happens. It happens in our time, it can happen in the future.

Finally, I like that, despite everything that happens, the show is full of hope in general, about the goodness of man. ^_^ That's the way it should be.

EK 8 )
EKnatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2003, 05:32 PM   #8   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

What La La Ru symbolized, and what she did in the end because of what Shu came to symbolize for her was also very interesting, and left a strong sense of hope at the end despite all of the bad things that happened.

And yeah, it pulls no punches, but it's great. Very emotional, mostly realistic, and very dramatic. I mean, you can't help but feel horrified at what these people have to go through, but you want to keep watching, hoping that they will survive and go on. And sara, man, she went through pure hell.

It's only thirteen episodes, but paces itself well and ends well. It's one of my favorites, and I'd definately suggest you see it, especially if your blockbuster has it. My Blockbuster carries a gigantic load of anime as well (a whole aisle devoted to it), and they have NTHT also. But I bought it long before they got it

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #9   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
You're lucky. My Blockbuster only has one shelf devoted to anime and all that sits on the shelf is a VHS copy of Akira and a bunch of Dragonball Z dvd's.
Old 25-10-2003, 12:51 PM   #10   [permalink]
Midi surfer

well where i am the most we get is 1 copy of metropolis, its been like that for a year or so.
Midi surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2003, 08:38 PM   #11   [permalink]
kindred350

I am just amazing of just now everyone saw this anime. This has to be the most drama of drama of anime I saw before. Well I do not know about that not, because grave of the firefiles was like this to. But with more saddest. But anyway I hear that shes the ultimate weapon is the same way. Now is it like drama like now and then here and there. Or is it just drama.
Old 26-10-2003, 03:36 AM   #12   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

RE: You're lucky. My Blockbuster only has one shelf devoted to anime and all that sits on the shelf is a VHS copy of Akira and a bunch of Dragonball Z dvd's.

Yeah, I am. They have all of Berserk, all of Evangelion, Rahxephon, Excel Saga, Noir, Devil Hunter Yohko, Burn Up Excess, Real Bout High School, and several volumes from GTO, Nadesico, Zone of the Enders, Devil Lady, etc. They have a bunch of movies too, including the Cowboy Bebop movie, usuals like Akira and Ghost in the Shell, as well as Metropolis and Grave of the Fireflies. All on DVD too.

I've seen at least 6 whole Anime series through Blockbuster, many of them free because we have a rewards card that allows me to rent a free non-new release (not on the back wall), whenever I rent a new release. So everytime my Mom or Dad rented a movie for themselves, I tagged along and got me some anime. I had seen NTHT a long time before this though. Before I even had a DVD player in fact. I have the first volume on VHS, which I ordered from Amazon.com soon after it's release in the US. Volumes 2 and 3 I have on DVD, volume 2 being the first DVD I purchased upon getting my DVD player (this was all a while ago though). That happened to me with several releases. I have Vandread Volume 1 on VHS, and 2-7 on DVD, and I have Nadia 1-5 on VHS, and 6-10 on DVD because of that.
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #13   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I bought "Now and Then, Here and There" from my local JB HiFi remembering the name from this messageboard. At the time I now realise I had been thinking it was "His and Her Circumstances". Anyways, the first few episodes had me hooked. Watching this kid, I could see the anime would be very important.
I havent yet finished seeing the series (I ran outta money.. )

1 thing though, to Australian members. SIREN distributes this in Australia. Some of you may not know who Siren is. Let me fill you Siren:
SIREN IS THE DEVIL.
You will note, that Siren's abilities to subtitle are, how do I say? Absolutely ridiculous and downright insulting that they release this anime for the same price as a professionally subtitled anime. Often they wont even translate a passage. I've seen far far superior subtitling from fansubbers.
If you want a great example of this, they also did 'Vandread'. Just watch the first few eps, andd count the number of times an entire paragraph isnt translated.

Next, you'll note they dont actually put the corrosponding episode numbers on the DVD case. in other words, it might say eps 1-3, but might give you 1-4, then the next DVD says 4-7 and gives you 4-6. I wonder if it's illegal. At any rate, if you buy the DVDs in order (yes I know, they dont make it absolutely clear what the order is) you get the eps in order. I just hope you arent looking for a specific ep ccos your guess is as good as mine as to which dvd that ep will be on.
I cant wait to see the rest of this anime.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:33 PM   #14   [permalink]
Bomberman00004
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Bomberman00004 Send a message via AIM to Bomberman00004 Send a message via Yahoo to Bomberman00004
Over here the boxes didn't have any episode numbers, so it was just a lucky guess that I got the first one first. I also watched the second one since my post, but I haven't had a chance to grab the third.
Bomberman00004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2003, 11:19 PM   #15   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
I recommend this series. It had good reviews, and those reviews were accurate.
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote