Old 09-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #16   [permalink]
Ckrisz

Definitely a very good show. The last two episodes hit you like a ton of bricks.

Heard somewhere that Daichi based a lot of this on news stories of child soldiers in the wars devastating Central and Western Africa right now.
Ckrisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2004, 10:44 PM   #17   [permalink]
Xizzy44

Lightbulb

I have recently rented the first DVD from Blockbuster, and this series has definitely got me hooked.
The only gripe I have so far concerns the main villain, King Hamdo. He is a cliché mad tyrant type that you see in many movies, but not in real life. This makes the story NTHT seem a bit unrealistic to me.
Most of the real life tyrants are/were in very smart and calculating people. Look at Stalin, Hitler, Polpot, and just about anyone else of the bunch. Such people could be totally paranoid, hell-bent on holding on to power and gaining more at any cost, but at the same time they are shrewd, know what they want and how to achieve it, and know how to make other people do their bidding. Moreover, in case some of the subjects have gripes or ambitions, a successful tyrant knows how to make these subjects be at each other’s throats rather than at the tyrant’s one.
Lets look at our main bad guy Mr. Hamdo again. He shows no sign of intelligence, no sign of leadership abilities, and every sign of requiring hospitalization in a mental facility. Yet, somehow, he managed to command unquestioning devotion of all his subordinates in all ranks. Despite all my efforts, I just cannot imagine how such a guy can manipulate and scheme his way to power in the first place. Even if he gets the power somehow, I still cannot imagine how he can hold on to it for more then a few days without being overthrown from the inside of his state/clan/whotever.
Xizzy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 12:29 AM   #18   [permalink]
Frubam

I don't necessarily believe that it's because of Hamdo that his army is under his control, but through Abelia (sp?) that they follow his orders. She... has her reasons for following Hamdo. In fact, I don't believe that many soldiers know who Hamdo really is. Abelia is certainly a woman who has the ability, power and skill of leadership. I can't say too much more than this, since you've only seen the first volume, but as you watch more eps, the reason will be a bit more apparent, though not completely understandable.
Frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 03:30 AM   #19   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

I think Hamdo may have been an intelligent and powerful ruler at one time. I think it was explained that his mad obsession for Lala-ru's pendant and his running out of water slowly degraded his mind and he became more and more insane.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 08:46 AM   #20   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie

well im going to but this series in 2 weeks then. If you guys let me down.... its a kick in the groin.... females included
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 03:52 AM   #21   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

No Kusunagi, if you dare to dislike this series, then *you* have let *us* down. And thou shall get the Kick in the groin. Once from each of us.

Robotech Master
Old 19-01-2004, 01:44 AM   #22   [permalink]
Bomberman00004
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Bomberman00004 Send a message via AIM to Bomberman00004 Send a message via Yahoo to Bomberman00004
sorry to revive my old post but i had a question...

i still haven't seen the last dvd and sadly there is no way of telling which one of the three is the last one except for the title because there are no numbers on the packaging... i'm pretty sure those ------- at blockbuster mixed up the order and i want to get the last one instead of re-renting the first or second... so what is the title of the third and last dvd of Now and Then, Here and There?
Bomberman00004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2004, 02:02 AM   #23   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Originally Posted by Bomberman00004
sorry to revive my old post but i had a question...

i still haven't seen the last dvd and sadly there is no way of telling which one of the three is the last one except for the title because there are no numbers on the packaging... i'm pretty sure those ------- at blockbuster mixed up the order and i want to get the last one instead of re-renting the first or second... so what is the title of the third and last dvd of Now and Then, Here and There?
I'm pretty sure that the last DVD has the subtitle "Conflict and Chaos."

I'm sure because I know the first two are "Discord and Doom" and "Flight and Fall" respectively.

The picture should have Sara sitting by what looks like a giant mechanical thing that's coming out of the ground, and I think there is an image of someone standing over to the left.

Robotech Master
Old 19-01-2004, 11:21 PM   #24   [permalink]
Bomberman00004
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Bomberman00004 Send a message via AIM to Bomberman00004 Send a message via Yahoo to Bomberman00004
thanks ^_^;
Bomberman00004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2004, 11:55 PM   #25   [permalink]
Frubam

Anyone notice how the first ep plays out like the PS2 game ICO, ESPECIALLY the Shu-reaches-out-hand-so-Lala-ru-can-make-the-gap part?

Last edited by Frubam; 20-01-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 03:43 AM   #26   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

I think NTHT predates ICO

Robotech Master
Old 21-01-2004, 11:49 PM   #27   [permalink]
Citizen Zemo

I thought about Renting this one, Guess I will now. I don't get it cause you now the whole Young Boy being blasted into the Future/Alternate-dimension has been done to death or thing's close to it

I thought I was dead, Turn's out I was only in Nebraska - Unforgiven
Citizen Zemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2004, 03:51 AM   #28   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Yeah, being blasted into the future has happened many times in Anime, but Rarely, if ever, are they this dramatic and just downright brutally honest about the worse aspects of life. It also seems to want to accomplish something...a theme not often conveyed so hauntingly in similar anime.

Robotech Master
Old 03-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #29   [permalink]
Newtype05

If you like this series, I highly recommend watching Conan the Future Boy, the premise is quite similar, but less in terms of brutality and dark drama, and more of adventure and fun, yet has as significant a message as NTHT too.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #30   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I thought I had become strong once more.
Just seeing the name of this anime turns me into a weak little boy.
Im not sure if I should tell you to get it or not. Its like buying a motorbike really. Sure, it might look cool, feel cool.. but it'll turn you into a wreck if you dont focus.

*cries* WHY GOD!!?? THEY WERE JUST CHILDREN!!!!!!! She..he..no they..its not fair!! *cries some more*

I need a hug.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote