Old 13-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #136   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Had to necro, may have already said this in the thread:

Tsubasa Chronicles
Who overrates that aside from CLAMP fangirls?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #137   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I used to, and still do, see a lot of threads about that anime. I stopped before season 1 ended after I realised it really wasn't going anywhere. Just an exercise in showing off all the CLAMP characters to idiots who fall for that crap.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #138   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

FLCL. Great sound and animation; wafer-thin plot. Yes, it was meant to be a psychedelic action-comedy, but the whole Haruhara Haruko-infatuation-with-younger-boy dynamic: I don't know, didn't really catch on for me. Wasn't bad though.

Originally Posted by Linna32
pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh and beyblade yuk
Digimon series 1 & 2, Pokemon series 1, Beyblade series 2 & 3: definitely under-rated by the older generation. Yu-gi-oh is slightly over-rated. Always felt the characters were a bit wooden. B-Daman was also under-rated too in my book.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #139   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
I used to, and still do, see a lot of threads about that anime. I stopped before season 1 ended after I realised it really wasn't going anywhere. Just an exercise in showing off all the CLAMP characters to idiots who fall for that crap.
Should see the few ecchi works they do first. I'd post them for you Penny_Kenny, but we all know if we see a tit on AB, the entire board will explode in a fireball.

CLAMP does seemed to be blessed with the power to turn ---- into gold, although to their credit they know their way around various anime series. At least they knew G-Gundam when I met them.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #140   [permalink]
eatpork

1. Dragon Ball Z (the biggest roster of annoying characters, the story pretty much remains the same throughout the entire series, the characters always scream and act like they're constipated)
2. Naruto (unoriginal, annoying characters, ninja who wears orange)
3. Full Metal Alchemist (stupid plot, annoying characters)
Old 18-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #141   [permalink]
Nayla

I have but one, incredibly overused, 3 syllable word for u:

NA-RU-TO
Nayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #142   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Let me ask the bandwagon something, because it's massivly popular and using the same forumal for a long time, does it make it overrated? If Gurren Lagann went on for 50 episodes, would people say that was overrated?
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #143   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Black_Knight
Let me ask the bandwagon something, because it's massivly popular and using the same forumal for a long time, does it make it overrated? If Gurren Lagann went on for 50 episodes, would people say that was overrated?
The old addage follows ...

"Familiarity breeds contempt" ... now add to this formula a relatively young demographic that thrives on "the new and novel" ... and ...

The answer is yes.

Overrated in the sense tha it does not live up to the standards or expectations garnered when new, novel or unpredictable.

Keep in mind, the ACTUAL or projected target audience for many of these shows, is the primary motivator, and as such, then much of the complaints IMO would appear to be irrelevent or inconsequential at best (as they come from the "fringe" viewing audience)...

Say for example a show like Naruto ... what would you guess the industry target be in terms of age? My guess would be between the ages of say 9 - 16 (a good indicator of this in general is the age of the main character for purposes of identification and association) thus Naruto's initial age is ....

The problem as I see it, is found in the longer term anime fans, due to their progressively extensive background in watching anime for an extended period (I myself would be a prime example of this phenomena) ... So, if one takes into account the anime's tendancy to be formulaic and or biased for ratings/popularity, then it become somewhat obvious that the stream of anime would seem unorigional, repetitive, draggy and increasingly juvenile ...

... all of which may be true (and eminently predictable due to the above mentioned demographic and marketing intent) ... follow this broad outline of criteria and guidelines, and one can reasonably predict the type of show that will be promoted, the general plot, the incidental use of filler based upon material availabilty, protagonist profile, antagonist profile, type of support characters, psychology of the show, time slot ... perhaps even the type of commercials slotted in to complement the series.

Actually, I would'nt be surprised if there is a marketing group in Japan which has imputted all of this information (and more) to create a predictor modeling program that plots trends and past/present genre material in order to project the "strawman" plot for what is to come next.

Reverse engineer ... virtually any popular series today and you will probably find some rather obvious and formulaic linkages to past successes ... in hopes of supplying that intended demographic with a continued "fix" of what they expressly want to see.

Teen: Wow, NGE was ... like revelational ... deeeep ... whats next ... hey does anyone know of shows like this??

Sam

Last edited by SamIam; 19-08-2007 at 04:25 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #144   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Teen 2: Oh, well, I hear that "Rah-Xephon is pretty similar"

Rah-Xephon fans: " Uh noooo, RX is original! We didn't copy! NGE copied Gundam! wah wah wah!"
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #145   [permalink]
sidewinder
Forum Addicted

Originally Posted by John Faulkner
Digimon series 1 & 2, Pokemon series 1, Beyblade series 2 & 3: definitely under-rated by the older generation. Yu-gi-oh is slightly over-rated. Always felt the characters were a bit wooden. B-Daman was also under-rated too in my book.
Digimon 1 is very underrated, but 2 sucks ass...it isn't even a true continuation of the first season, because one of the key plot elements of season 2 (not being able to digivolve to ultimate/mega because the dark spires negated the crests or some nonsense that i don't care to remember...in short: the whole reason for armor and dna digivolving and the reason why they have a new cast) is a complete contradiction to the conclusion of season 1, where they realized they no longer needed the crests. And that's only scratching the surface of what's wrong with season 2...

Anyway, can't believe I haven't posted here yet...Dragonball Z is probably the most overrated. FLCL is definitely overrated, but it doesn't garner the attention of a series like DBZ. Naruto is overrated. NGE is overrated. Gundam is way overrated...great potential there, but it's hardly touched. Bebob is overrated. FMA is overrated. Inuyasha is overrated...

So yeah I probably didn't post cause I haven't added anything to the discussion...

vBulletin Message:
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #146   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by sidewinder
Digimon 1 is very underrated, but 2 sucks ass...it isn't even a true continuation of the first season, because one of the key plot elements of season 2 (not being able to digivolve to ultimate/mega because the dark spires negated the crests or some nonsense that i don't care to remember...in short: the whole reason for armor and dna digivolving and the reason why they have a new cast) is a complete contradiction to the conclusion of season 1, where they realized they no longer needed the crests. And that's only scratching the surface of what's wrong with season 2...
The thing about series 2 is that it had a dreadful first half or so, and only picked up later. Series 1 had a pretty rounded conclusion and I guess they tried to freshen things up for series 2. However, Davis looks like a carbon copy of Tai, and I felt the new cast lacked that certain charisma. There wasn't the dramatic set pieces in the plot such as Matt and Tai having a fight in the midst of extreme survival conditions. There was too much focus on flash, such as dna digivolving. But the ending was sweet, real emotion by the voice actors; real comradery among the characters.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #147   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Teen 2: Oh, well, I hear that "Rah-Xephon is pretty similar"

Rah-Xephon fans: " Uh noooo, RX is original! We didn't copy! NGE copied Gundam! wah wah wah!"
I haven't seen a single RahXephon fan claim it was original, can't say the same for NGE and it's fanbase though!

Unoriginal =! bad

You should go youtube the South Park Episode "Simpsons Did It".

Last edited by Westlo; 22-08-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #148   [permalink]
Cookiepop

My most overrated series list:

1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion

One Piece and Naruto are shounen series to the core, and that automatically makes them overrated. Evangelion is good, but certainly not good enough or sensible enough to warrant all its attention and remakes.