Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #136   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master
 
Westlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Jul 2001
Location: Welcome to Mel bourne City!
Posts: 6,204
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Had to necro, may have already said this in the thread:

Tsubasa Chronicles
Who overrates that aside from CLAMP fangirls?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #137   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Registered User
 
Pengi_Ken-Ohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Sep 2000
Location: 0.0
Posts: 11,640
Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I used to, and still do, see a lot of threads about that anime. I stopped before season 1 ended after I realised it really wasn't going anywhere. Just an exercise in showing off all the CLAMP characters to idiots who fall for that crap.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #138   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
FLCL. Great sound and animation; wafer-thin plot. Yes, it was meant to be a psychedelic action-comedy, but the whole Haruhara Haruko-infatuation-with-younger-boy dynamic: I don't know, didn't really catch on for me. Wasn't bad though.

Originally Posted by Linna32
pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh and beyblade yuk
Digimon series 1 & 2, Pokemon series 1, Beyblade series 2 & 3: definitely under-rated by the older generation. Yu-gi-oh is slightly over-rated. Always felt the characters were a bit wooden. B-Daman was also under-rated too in my book.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #139   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member
 
Black_Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16 Aug 2001
Location: Evangelion Unit-03
Posts: 11,387
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I used to, and still do, see a lot of threads about that anime. I stopped before season 1 ended after I realised it really wasn't going anywhere. Just an exercise in showing off all the CLAMP characters to idiots who fall for that crap.
Should see the few ecchi works they do first. I'd post them for you Penny_Kenny, but we all know if we see a tit on AB, the entire board will explode in a fireball.

CLAMP does seemed to be blessed with the power to turn ---- into gold, although to their credit they know their way around various anime series. At least they knew G-Gundam when I met them.
__________________
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Getting hit on AB is like an attack in my own home. Curse you BK, CURSE YOU!
"I am simply living life the way I see fit. Anything can go unpunished if done in the name of God. Convenient, is it not?"
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #140   [permalink]
eatpork
Member
 
eatpork's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26 Jun 2007
Location: Where I live sucks.
Posts: 67
1. Dragon Ball Z (the biggest roster of annoying characters, the story pretty much remains the same throughout the entire series, the characters always scream and act like they're constipated)
2. Naruto (unoriginal, annoying characters, ninja who wears orange)
3. Full Metal Alchemist (stupid plot, annoying characters)
__________________
The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence.
eatpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #141   [permalink]
Nayla
Member
 
Nayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4 Mar 2007
Location: Canada O.o And ja, our milk comes in bags.
Posts: 49
I have but one, incredibly overused, 3 syllable word for u:

NA-RU-TO
__________________
There are no flowers, no not this time
There'll be no angels gracing the lines
Just these stark words I find.
Nayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #142   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member
 
Black_Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16 Aug 2001
Location: Evangelion Unit-03
Posts: 11,387
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Let me ask the bandwagon something, because it's massivly popular and using the same forumal for a long time, does it make it overrated? If Gurren Lagann went on for 50 episodes, would people say that was overrated?
__________________
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Getting hit on AB is like an attack in my own home. Curse you BK, CURSE YOU!
"I am simply living life the way I see fit. Anything can go unpunished if done in the name of God. Convenient, is it not?"
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #143   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master
 
SamIam's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Nov 2000
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 3,557
Originally Posted by Black_Knight
Let me ask the bandwagon something, because it's massivly popular and using the same forumal for a long time, does it make it overrated? If Gurren Lagann went on for 50 episodes, would people say that was overrated?
The old addage follows ...

"Familiarity breeds contempt" ... now add to this formula a relatively young demographic that thrives on "the new and novel" ... and ...

The answer is yes.

Overrated in the sense tha it does not live up to the standards or expectations garnered when new, novel or unpredictable.

Keep in mind, the ACTUAL or projected target audience for many of these shows, is the primary motivator, and as such, then much of the complaints IMO would appear to be irrelevent or inconsequential at best (as they come from the "fringe" viewing audience)...

Say for example a show like Naruto ... what would you guess the industry target be in terms of age? My guess would be between the ages of say 9 - 16 (a good indicator of this in general is the age of the main character for purposes of identification and association) thus Naruto's initial age is ....

The problem as I see it, is found in the longer term anime fans, due to their progressively extensive background in watching anime for an extended period (I myself would be a prime example of this phenomena) ... So, if one takes into account the anime's tendancy to be formulaic and or biased for ratings/popularity, then it become somewhat obvious that the stream of anime would seem unorigional, repetitive, draggy and increasingly juvenile ...

... all of which may be true (and eminently predictable due to the above mentioned demographic and marketing intent) ... follow this broad outline of criteria and guidelines, and one can reasonably predict the type of show that will be promoted, the general plot, the incidental use of filler based upon material availabilty, protagonist profile, antagonist profile, type of support characters, psychology of the show, time slot ... perhaps even the type of commercials slotted in to complement the series.

Actually, I would'nt be surprised if there is a marketing group in Japan which has imputted all of this information (and more) to create a predictor modeling program that plots trends and past/present genre material in order to project the "strawman" plot for what is to come next.

Reverse engineer ... virtually any popular series today and you will probably find some rather obvious and formulaic linkages to past successes ... in hopes of supplying that intended demographic with a continued "fix" of what they expressly want to see.

Teen: Wow, NGE was ... like revelational ... deeeep ... whats next ... hey does anyone know of shows like this??

Sam
__________________
I think therefore I am ... I think :/

Last edited by SamIam; 19-08-2007 at 04:25 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #144   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Registered User
 
Pengi_Ken-Ohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Sep 2000
Location: 0.0
Posts: 11,640
Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Teen 2: Oh, well, I hear that "Rah-Xephon is pretty similar"


Rah-Xephon fans: " Uh noooo, RX is original! We didn't copy! NGE copied Gundam! wah wah wah!"
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #145   [permalink]
sidewinder
Forum Addicted
 
Join Date: 17 Jan 2002
Location: The magical land of unicorns and flying weasels.
Posts: 1,458
Originally Posted by John Faulkner
Digimon series 1 & 2, Pokemon series 1, Beyblade series 2 & 3: definitely under-rated by the older generation. Yu-gi-oh is slightly over-rated. Always felt the characters were a bit wooden. B-Daman was also under-rated too in my book.
Digimon 1 is very underrated, but 2 sucks ass...it isn't even a true continuation of the first season, because one of the key plot elements of season 2 (not being able to digivolve to ultimate/mega because the dark spires negated the crests or some nonsense that i don't care to remember...in short: the whole reason for armor and dna digivolving and the reason why they have a new cast) is a complete contradiction to the conclusion of season 1, where they realized they no longer needed the crests. And that's only scratching the surface of what's wrong with season 2...

Anyway, can't believe I haven't posted here yet...Dragonball Z is probably the most overrated. FLCL is definitely overrated, but it doesn't garner the attention of a series like DBZ. Naruto is overrated. NGE is overrated. Gundam is way overrated...great potential there, but it's hardly touched. Bebob is overrated. FMA is overrated. Inuyasha is overrated...

So yeah I probably didn't post cause I haven't added anything to the discussion...
__________________
Read my Story and give me comments/critiques. I'll get around to writing more sooner or later...

vBulletin Message:
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #146   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by sidewinder
Digimon 1 is very underrated, but 2 sucks ass...it isn't even a true continuation of the first season, because one of the key plot elements of season 2 (not being able to digivolve to ultimate/mega because the dark spires negated the crests or some nonsense that i don't care to remember...in short: the whole reason for armor and dna digivolving and the reason why they have a new cast) is a complete contradiction to the conclusion of season 1, where they realized they no longer needed the crests. And that's only scratching the surface of what's wrong with season 2...
The thing about series 2 is that it had a dreadful first half or so, and only picked up later. Series 1 had a pretty rounded conclusion and I guess they tried to freshen things up for series 2. However, Davis looks like a carbon copy of Tai, and I felt the new cast lacked that certain charisma. There wasn't the dramatic set pieces in the plot such as Matt and Tai having a fight in the midst of extreme survival conditions. There was too much focus on flash, such as dna digivolving. But the ending was sweet, real emotion by the voice actors; real comradery among the characters.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #147   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master
 
Westlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Jul 2001
Location: Welcome to Mel bourne City!
Posts: 6,204
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Teen 2: Oh, well, I hear that "Rah-Xephon is pretty similar"

Rah-Xephon fans: " Uh noooo, RX is original! We didn't copy! NGE copied Gundam! wah wah wah!"
I haven't seen a single RahXephon fan claim it was original, can't say the same for NGE and it's fanbase though!

Unoriginal =! bad

You should go youtube the South Park Episode "Simpsons Did It".

Last edited by Westlo; 22-08-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #148   [permalink]
Cookiepop
Member
 
Cookiepop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Mar 2007
Location: In a black box of cookies.
Posts: 115
My most overrated series list:

1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion

One Piece and Naruto are shounen series to the core, and that automatically makes them overrated. Evangelion is good, but certainly not good enough or sensible enough to warrant all its attention and remakes.
__________________
I am automatic. Whenever I detect cookies, I rise to the surface. That's why I am Cookiepop. Fantastic, like Cookies.
Cookiepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.