Old 13-11-2003, 03:10 PM   #16   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

Sliight Question...

everyone here has not mentioned that Gundam is over-rated...

So does everyone here BELIEVES that GUNDAM deserves to be THE NUMBER #1 Polled Anime almost in every poll I've seen?

I mean there's alot of mechies... But No one here is criticizing Gundam?

p.s. I don't intend to criticize gundam... It's a good series...

P.s.s. Something for you to think about... Evangelion sparks Intelligent discussions... If Evangelion wasn't this popular, AnimeBoards.com would not be here today

~_~

Last edited by Kyrakasa; 13-11-2003 at 03:11 PM.
Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2003, 07:34 AM   #17   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Westlo
My overated series list would be

1/ Neon Genesis Evangelion
2/ FLCL
3/ Zeta Gundam
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2003, 07:00 PM   #18   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

1)Chobits : while described as one of the best romance comedies,it looks more like a pervert with his pet doll having fun,very disappointing.This exploits the "submissive housewife" theme to ridiculous extremes
Old 14-11-2003, 07:48 PM   #19   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Maguamaru Send a message via Yahoo to Maguamaru
Escaflowne.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darklightz
This exploits the "submissive housewife" theme to ridiculous extremes
Please

Shut

Up.
Maguamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #20   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

A Chobits fan are you?Well I"m sorry to disappoint you but real girls are not playthings who wait for you at home and fulfills your every fantasies without asking for anything in return.
Old 15-11-2003, 08:32 AM   #21   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

Quote:
1)Chobits : while described as one of the best romance comedies,it looks more like a pervert with his pet doll having fun,very disappointing.This exploits the "submissive housewife" theme to ridiculous extremes
Hideki doesn't take advantage of Chii at any point, and is over-protective of her. Apart from a few silly jokes like finding the On switch, there's not even a nipple shown in the whole series. The episode at the peep show is portrayed as a bad thing. It could have been just like a hundred other predictable and boring shows, with far too much fanservice and very little else, but CLAMP tried something different with Chobits. Sure I would have changed a few things if I could, especially the overall pace, but it deserves better than to be included with the generic robot girl hentai stories.
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2003, 10:02 AM   #22   [permalink]
Petezilla
Executive Member

I have to go with FLCL, didn't think it was bad but I found it far from great.
Petezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2003, 09:01 PM   #23   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

I've never thought of chii as a housewife...

But as a child that needs love and care...

It's true that she has only one objective which is to love hideki, but hideki never asked for anything the entire series...

/turns on MDwigs simulator

So your analogy is noncongrous misrepresentation of a "submissive" housewife, since how can chii be "submissive" if she's never asked to do a thing.

/turns off MDwigs simulator

I just love this new toy MDwigs gave me~!

~_~

Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #24   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Quote:
A Chobits fan are you?Well I"m sorry to disappoint you but real girls are not playthings who wait for you at home and fulfills your every fantasies without asking for anything in return.
No, actually, I'm a sane human being. I have grown out of this "OH MY GOD GUYS, NO, WE MUST BE EQUAL, GET IT, EVERYTHING IS EQUAL IN GENDER AND RACE SORT OF LIKE ZEN ON A WEIGHING SCALE" phase, and I have only ever seen one episode of Chobits.

The only context in which you have 'disappointed' me is by displaying your preoccupation with a tired, old, battered, and frankly irrelevant issue, and by assuming you know more than me about 'THE WORLD' than the rest of us. OH MY GOD, YEAH, WOMEN HAVE PERSONALITIES TOO U KNOW. NO SERIOUSLY, GUYS, TOTALLY SERIOUS HERE, THEY DO, YOU JUST NEVER KNEW BECAUSE YOU WERE TOO BUSY JERKING TO CHII WITH A DICK.

In summary: Nobody cares. Make an anime where the girls FIGHT FOR THEIR RIGHT TO BE INDIVIDUAL AND EMPOWERED if it makes you happy, or something. OH WAIT, IT'S CALLED UTENA. And personally, I don't know about you guys, but I found that show to be boring, overcompensating and pretentious. Why? Because it totally dominated the subject matter with one or two basic 'alternative' key themes, and thus didn't have enough depth of story or interesting characterisation to capture my interest for more than a few seconds. Ever seen those OMG RADICAL kids shows where the parents are TOTALLY UNCOOL and could NEVER UNDERSTAND and the kids are all goths or skaters or kiddie fiddlers or something? Boring, aren't they? Yeah, it's the same premise. Basically, basing a show around proving a 'MODERN ATTITUDES' key point is a really dumb idea.

Oh wait, there we go. That's my contribution to this thread: Shoujo Kakumei Utena. ^_^

Edit: Gryshnak, Kyrakasa - I don't know who you are, but I hereby wish to be bonded by BLOOD to both of you.

Last edited by Maguamaru; 18-11-2003 at 12:25 PM.
Old 19-11-2003, 08:41 PM   #25   [permalink]
Destructa
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Destructa
The most overrated title has to be DBZ.
Destructa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2003, 12:19 AM   #26   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Linna32 Send a message via MSN to Linna32 Send a message via Yahoo to Linna32
DBZ, pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh and beyblade yuk
Linna32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2003, 08:19 AM   #27   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Quote:
I agree with the others, she's just the stereotypical "introvertial passive android with human emotion" (kind of like Cherry from Saber Marionette).

Overrated, I think DBZ definitely takes the cake. Why? The plot takes too damn long to develop in some spots (like some of the major battles), but they breeze over other things, or if they just needed filler episodes, just have minimal development at all, just a lot of narration and inner monologue. Sure, the action scenes were great, it just took forever to get to them.

Next, I might say Saber Marionette Again, even though it isn't really praised much anyway. The cheesy CG animation is insulting after the beautiful artwork from the original series, the artwork that was done by hand was well below par compared to its predecessor, and the plot was pretty damn thin in places.

Last, even though I like it, I would say Love Hina. It sure is entertaining, but they probably could have based it on a little more than what was there, although the themes where the old folks appeared are something to think about (I don't think the manga had the old guys, did it?). This series is so light and fun, but some episodes leave you yearning for something else.
raynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2003, 03:09 PM   #28   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Yikes!Usually my posts on these boards are mostly ignored,It's nice to have so many replies,even if they are just flames.Let me explain myself as you have all greatly misunderstood me.

I said they exploited the Housewife theme,I didn't say Chii was a housewife.I think it falls in the brand of shows where the main male get all the fun and the girls does most the relationship work*(Sister Princess,Mahoromatic,etc..)But at least those shows where quite enjoyable because there were feelings,mutual relationship.Heck even Rei in NGE showed genuine emotion every now and then.

Chii?She's a doll that will do anything Hideki asks her to.Of course Hideki never did anything of the sort(they had to keep it from becoming a hentai).But if Hideki had asked her nasty stuff,she would have agreed without hesitation with a big smile because that's what she is,a doll,although cute,that does nothing more than please Hideki.True,Chii asked for nothing,and that's the problem;she has no purpose other than please Hideki.I admit I haven't watched that far,maybe she develops a personnality of her own later on,but the first 4 episode are nothing more than guys playing with life-size dolls,and that's what I didn't like.

*Mind you when I say work I don't mean house chores,I mean the girls do all the relationship evolution,the guy just has to lay back and choose wich girl he wants
Old 22-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #29   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Darklightz Yikes!Usually my posts on these boards are mostly ignored,It's nice to have so many replies,even if they are just flames.Let me explain myself as you have all greatly misunderstood me.

I said they exploited the Housewife theme,I didn't say Chii was a housewife.I think it falls in the brand of shows where the main male get all the fun and the girls does most the relationship work*(Sister Princess,Mahoromatic,etc..)But at least those shows where quite enjoyable because there were feelings,mutual relationship.Heck even Rei in NGE showed genuine emotion every now and then.

Chii?She's a doll that will do anything Hideki asks her to.Of course Hideki never did anything of the sort(they had to keep it from becoming a hentai).But if Hideki had asked her nasty stuff,she would have agreed without hesitation with a big smile because that's what she is,a doll,although cute,that does nothing more than please Hideki.True,Chii asked for nothing,and that's the problem;she has no purpose other than please Hideki.I admit I haven't watched that far,maybe she develops a personnality of her own later on,but the first 4 episode are nothing more than guys playing with life-size dolls,and that's what I didn't like.

*Mind you when I say work I don't mean house chores,I mean the girls do all the relationship evolution,the guy just has to lay back and choose wich girl he wants
And therein lies the problem. Do your frigging homework next time, because surprise surprise, kiddo, the whole idea of Chobits is that it's about Chii becoming a real person, just like Pinocchio ^_^_^_^^_^_6-6--6^_6-6-56_%^_%^_-6-6_^_^_^_^
In actual fact, it may even be safe to say that Hideki is a NICE GUY (OH MY GOD IS THERE SUCH A THING??? REALLY??? SURELY YOU JEST) because he chooses to teach Chii stuff and let her grow rather than go all "Get down and suck it, bitch" on her. Terribly sorry if the portrayal of a female character in a dependent role got your metaphysical panties in a bunch, but believe it or not, dependent people do exist. In this instance, it went to show that the proper guidance can get someone on their feet. Not everyone can be an AWESOME 'PRINCE' FIGHTING FOR THEIR RIGHTS or a BADASS VAMPIRE OR VAMPIRE HUNTER OR SOMETHING DISPELLING THE MYTHS ABOUT ANIME WOMEN straight off the bat, it's like asking a child to run without first learning to walk, beacuse people have to, you know, grow. (Side note: Not to bash Hellsing here, I actually want to see it. Just regurgitating buzzwords for illustrative purposes.)

Moral of the story: Impressions that you form yourself are infinetly more valuable than ones you send off for on the back of a cereal box.

Edit: As a post-script on the issue of the affectionately-named 'harem' shows: Ever notice how in 90% of them the guy never actually chooses any of the girls? And that when he does, it's usually because he's stuck by the same one since the beginning? You do the math. Simply put, if someone you don't actually want is sitting there 'putting all the work into evolving the relationship', are you really going to reciprocate that workload? In fact, would it be RIGHT for you to if you ALREADY KNOW WHO YOU'RE STICKING BY?

And as for the 'doing all the work' factor, look at it another way. Changing your perspective can bring different results, any basic literature class can teach you that.
By way of an example, I kindly point you in the direction of Sister Princess RePure, a charming little show about a guy whose 12 little sisters all want his hot loving. Granted, they may be subservient, dependent little cutie-pies, but in case anyone hadn't noticed he's also a tremendous fagass. The whole SHOW is fluff. And guess what, yes, they all run around trying to find ways to make their big brother happy, but it's actually him that saves the day in all the scenarios (buying Karen the ribbons to cover up the stains on the cuffs of her dress, lifting Kaho up when she's standing on the scales to emphasise that she doesn't need to care about her weight, etc.), so in ACTUAL FACT it seems rather like both sides are pulling their weight.

(Note: The following is not directed at Darklightz, but is actually, moreover, an expansion of an argument against certain popular concepts held about 'male-centric' romance shows. Thus, count it not as a presumption that the member in question holds said beliefs, but as an expansion on an already-established theme)

It's all very well and easy to take the girls' side on every het romance anime out there, but what one should consider, moreover, is that you're not supposed to be taking sides. It is not a conflict. The idea is a unison. The concept of romance in the traditional sense may be disgusting to some, but one should always remember that one's own view of 'love' or an ideal 'relationship' is not everyone else's. This same mistake is most often made by people in 'alternative' relationships who complain about how the 'mainstream world' expects their relationships to fit into a common mold, while they THEMSELVES, as supposedly 'enlightened' alternative people or whatever, consider their own bonds superior to those of the rest of society. *DUN DUN-DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN-DUN DUN DUN, HYPOCRISY STRIKES lol hypocrits bush administration i h8 them they will take away my gravitation manga ><*

Okay, rant. Stopping it in its tracks.

Last edited by Maguamaru; 22-11-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 22-11-2003, 06:50 PM   #30   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

OMG DOUBLE POST

Also, thought of another overrated anime: Tenchi Muyo. I actually prefer Tenchi Universe, yet everyone hypes Muyo to death... screw it, Universe is much more fun, I actually got bored at some parts in Muyo. And besides, introducing Mihoshi and Ryoko together was a stroke of genius.