Old 22-11-2003, 09:54 PM   #31   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

So I should watch a boring show on the small chance it gets better after 10 episodes?Look,I know you love the show but don't get all frustrated if I don't have the same opinion as you.For the sake of this conversation,let's say I'm only talking about 5 episodes ok?

True guys don't "choose" the girls they wants(or rather they only do in hentais).However,all the female characters mostly center on a male character,wich in itself is good,after all one part we watch those shows is for their idealistic fantasy part right?

Onegai Teacher for example,has made that theme successfully,although 3 girls really like the main charcaters,there's still development,evolution,conflicts,etc...What makes such shows interesting in my opinion.

And that is what Chobit lacked in my opinion.Now as I said I haven't watched that much of it,about 5 episodes or so,but please don't go make big posts flaming me just because you don't like my opinion.
Old 23-11-2003, 04:03 AM   #32   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

I'd have to agree with the early post that said episode 26 of Excel Saga was overrated. I love the series, period, and expected a lot more of it (everyone was all, "lesbians and lolicons and boobs, oh my!"). Granted, it was just as offensive as everyone described it to be, it wasn't as funny. Good thing I watch my anime before letting my little brother watch it, though, or my parents would've killed me dead.

I tend not to purchase "overrated" things (I don't steal anime, it's just a thing of mine, and yes, i am not a hypocrite because i did download music back in the day when i had a cable modem. no, wait, i had a 28.8 modem when i downloaded the 600MB of music i had). If I purchase something, I force myself to like it, because either way, it ain't going back to the store.

And yes, DBZ does take the cake. One of my "friends" is obsessed with it seriously, one is obsessed with it because he thinks it is the perfect spoof of samurai/martial arts movies. I, personally, hate a great deal of it, though there are bits I enjoy. If they hadn't had all the "I want to be a shoujo anime" bits, where they reminsce (sp wrong, I know) or the parts where they delve into the past or develop gohan in high school and just got back to basics it would be all good, just back to world-saving battles without any crappy memory flashbacks and it would be hundreds of episodes shorter. But leave in the part where Dabura acts madly like a flaming queen, that's just damn funny.
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2003, 06:21 AM   #33   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Yeah, Tenchi Universe is definitely better than the OAV, and definitely better than Tenchi in Tokyo..
raynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2003, 06:43 AM   #34   [permalink]
MaNgA4LyF
Forum Elite

Send a message via MSN to MaNgA4LyF
DBZ just not that good too much train fight train fight =\ then agian that sjust me.

thats about it =\
MaNgA4LyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2003, 09:02 AM   #35   [permalink]
Maguamaru
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Maguamaru Send a message via Yahoo to Maguamaru
Quote:
Originally posted by Darklightz
So I should watch a boring show on the small chance it gets better after 10 episodes?Look,I know you love the show but don't get all frustrated if I don't have the same opinion as you.For the sake of this conversation,let's say I'm only talking about 5 episodes ok?
Actually, I don't like Chobits that much. *cough* So in actual fact, your opinion isn't that contradictory to my own, as normally I couldn't care less either way, and admittedly, the legions of KAWAII CHII-CHAN ^-^ Chobits fanboys put me off. However, it is the sequel to Angelic Layer, so I should probably stick with it.

Quote:
True guys don't "choose" the girls they wants(or rather they only do in hentais).However,all the female characters mostly center on a male character,wich in itself is good,after all one part we watch those shows is for their idealistic fantasy part right?
Agreed, can't find fault with that.

Quote:
Onegai Teacher for example,has made that theme successfully,although 3 girls really like the main charcaters,there's still development,evolution,conflicts,etc...What makes such shows interesting in my opinion.

And that is what Chobit lacked in my opinion.
Fair comment, that. It's not anyone's opinions on anime that I'm here to get worked up over. (Hell, if I did that, I'd have broken down into TEARS OF UTTER DESPAIR long ago in this forum because I like the Wild Arms anime) Pressing on:

Quote:
Now as I said I haven't watched that much of it,about 5 episodes or so,but please don't go make big posts flaming me just because you don't like my opinion.
Actually, I made a big post flaming you because not only did I find your stance on the show to be full of omittances, and downright unfair, but you also made some pretty big assumptions about my stance on women, which I felt the need to correct. Your original allegation was that I, as a - let me get this straight - 'Chobits fan' thought that girls were submissive toys or something of that ilk. The exact wording was:

"A Chobits fan are you?Well I"m sorry to disappoint you but real girls are not playthings who wait for you at home and fulfills your every fantasies without asking for anything in return."

Ho ho ho!
Maguamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2003, 11:54 AM   #36   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

you're right,I did push it a little there,I apologize.
Old 25-11-2003, 12:56 AM   #37   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
I would like to add RahXephon and Full Metal Panic! to my list. Keep in mind, not bad, just overrated.

Cheers
Old 25-11-2003, 02:32 AM   #38   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Quote:
Originally posted by BrikHaus81
I would like to add RahXephon and Full Metal Panic! to my list. Keep in mind, not bad, just overrated.

Cheers
I agree with you on RahXephon. It seems like a very well-told story, and I enjoy it when I have nothing else lined up to watch, but for some reason I can't get as into it as everyone else seems to be getting.

I want to defend Full Metal Panic! (it has to be one of my favorite series, since both seasons are so great), but it seems stupid to argue when you're just stating your opinion, so I'll shut up now.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #39   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Most overated anime?

Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing, Hellsing...

Well, someone had to say it
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2003, 07:48 PM   #40   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Hah. How long did it take you to type all of that out?

Oh, and welcome back. I thought you were going to be gone for a year? Oh well. No one can fight the pull of AB, I guess. Resistance is... futile?

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2004, 01:14 AM   #41   [permalink]
Citizen Zemo

always thought Full Metal Pacic was a little UNDER-rated BrikHaus, Oh well Diffrent Folks, Diffrent Strokes

and BTW DBZ is over-rated

like NGE but it's a wee just a wee bit over-rated, But only Wee Bitty

I thought I was dead, Turn's out I was only in Nebraska - Unforgiven
Citizen Zemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #42   [permalink]
Frubam

Well, I know it's 2004, but I recall reading in some mag from 2002 that Chii was the best loved char in Jpan, Tohru (Fruba) being second. After hearing that, and watching the 1st volume (I have up to vol 6, now though), I pretty much thought that Chii was an overrated char. It could have been the simple fact that Tohru (my favorite anime char of all time. I LOVE Tohru!!! ) was second to Chii, and Fruba IS my favorite anime, but I know I hated her with a mad passion.

Of course, after seeing the entire series, i see she is ok, though still nowhere near the overall perfection of Tohru.
Frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:47 AM   #43   [permalink]
Newtype05

Pound for pound, ounce for ounce, based on the degree of popularity itself, Cowboy Bebop has to be the most overrated anime ever. CB movie is the only saving grace, without it I'd say the popularity is totally unfounded.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #44   [permalink]
martial_monk

Originally Posted by Newtype05
Pound for pound, ounce for ounce, based on the degree of popularity itself, Cowboy Bebop has to be the most overrated anime ever. CB movie is the only saving grace, without it I'd say the popularity is totally unfounded.

I'm forced to disagree. IMO Cowboy bebop is a truely great anime, and has just become increasingly popular somewhat due to the film, with western otakus. This doesn't mean it's over-rated.

I hope he grins like Jack Nicholson
And forces you to play a game called "Balls On Chin"
And whatever happens next is all a blur
But you remember "fist" can be a verb
martial_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 AM   #45   [permalink]
Newtype05

Vandread is great in terms of cgi and artwork, but does that qualify for a great anime? No, I don't think so. Cowboy Bebop falls into the same category, flashy, but no substance.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote