Old 06-04-2005, 08:13 AM   #61   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
1). Love Hina
2). Cowboy Bebop
3). Boogiepop Phantom

Love Hina and Cowboy Bebop were going down as the best series ever made. I believed the hype on both accounts but was expecting the greatest action sequences and the funniest comedy ever made. And when the Hype is built up that much you know that it is never as good. And Boogiepop Phantom was suppose to be a good as Lain, but didn't have the same impact as Lain did.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #62   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Originally Posted by Wolfpac
1). Love Hina
2). Cowboy Bebop
3). Boogiepop Phantom
I think Azumanga Daiyo was much better than Love Hina.
Cowboy Bebop was OK, but can't think of something in the same category that was much better. Trigun wasn't as compelling.

Quote:
And Boogiepop Phantom was suppose to be a good as Lain, but didn't have the same impact as Lain did.
Yep. It wasn't even close.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #63   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Originally Posted by raynebc
Yeah, Tenchi Universe is definitely better than the OAV, and definitely better than Tenchi in Tokyo..
Well, you got one part correct. Pretty Sammy will blast you for getting the other part incorrect ^_^
Old 07-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #64   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Originally Posted by DrZepp
Thats like saying ---- is superior to vomit.... *dun dun tsss*
Well, you got it vackwards. Dogs routinely return to their vomit but pretty much ignore their ----.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #65   [permalink]
Souijin

1.Big o

2.Evangelion

3.Ghost in the shell
Souijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #66   [permalink]
bigbi

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Don't get me wrong. I adore it. It's just that it's always called "the greatest anime ever!" while I personally think it's not.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:06 AM   #67   [permalink]
bigbi

Oh my Goddes is pure ----. Was there any point to those five horrible episodes?

Cardcaptor Sakura is so cute it makes me want to hurl.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #68   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Gonna have to go with Ranma 1/2. I never hear the end of praise for it, except when I hear how terrible my taste is for not finding it funny.

Same goes for Excel Saga, except there's been less time for nostalgia to build up over that series, so it's only half as rabid.

EDIT: And Slayers. In fact, I have to admit not understanding a lot of the old japanese comedy animes. Something about their sense of humor just never quite seems that funny.

Last edited by Hiigaran; 12-04-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Hiigaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #69   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

re: Ranma 1/2

Some of it sucks; toss out about half of the episodes and it would be one of the greatest series ever made. The OVA was pretty good though.
Old 14-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #70   [permalink]
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside Send a message via Yahoo to Darkside
Lets see....NGE number one.
Although I kinda liked it I would say Hellsing
I also think Blood - The last vampire
GITS the stand alone complex
Old 14-04-2005, 11:22 AM   #71   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Series I found to be overrated in no particular order

-Excel Saga
The Japanese definition of comedy doesn't do anything for me and this series exemplifies this to a tee for me.

-Ruroni Kenshin
After having actually at through about 10 or so episodes of this now, I still don't get why everyone claims it's so good. I stand by a statement I made a few years ago, it's essentially DBZ but with swords and in 19th century Japan.

-Evangelion the series
Love the movies to death. The series on the other hand, do we honestly have to sit through 3 EPISODES SET ON A FRICKIN' TRAIN CENTERING AROUND A SELF-INVOLVED TWIT???!!!

-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
I love the manga to death. I read it recently and it very quickly became one of my favorite comics of all time. So I bought the movie thinking that I would get roughly the same experience I had with the comic. The movie isn't terrible mind you but it certainly doesn't have anywhere near the depth and wonder that the comic does which was a real disappointment for me. I don't think that it's quite the masterpiece that a lot of people make it out to be however.

-Saikano
Any series that completely turns me off of anime for at least 2 years gets my vote.

-Great Teacher Onizuka
Mixing that Japanese defintion of comedy with a cliched show about teachers just never really clicked for me.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #72   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Having never read the Nausicaa manga, I have to say I thought the world in the movie was really inventive and wonerfully developed.
Old 15-04-2005, 12:20 PM   #73   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
I'll agree that I thought the world was fully realized but then what Miyazaki movie doesn't have a fully realized world? I just didn't think the characters were as developed or as interesting as they could have been.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #74   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira
I'll agree that I thought the world was fully realized but then what Miyazaki movie doesn't have a fully realized world? I just didn't think the characters were as developed or as interesting as they could have been.
Watched Nausicaa recently; I agree the characters were not fully developed, but it was difficult to do that in under 2 hours with so many characters. I thought there was sufficient character development, and I liked the way the film doesn't always get a character to blurt out his/her life story to get some character into them. For example, Lord Yupa has an aura of having seen it all, and that's more the way he acts than what he says (which isn't much). Aurally, I thought the music was average at best. The plot I interpret as pretty much symbolic of man VS nature, Nausicaa being the embodiment of how to live harmoniously with it, as opposed to stripping it bare. However, the way the plot is realized is very well done, and was necessarily poignant (the contrast between the valley before, during and after the battles was well depicted). I felt a more tragic ending would have made even more of a statement regarding the man VS nature theme. Overall however, it's one of the best animated films I've seen. And this came out in 1986.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #75   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Squall Leonhart
Lain, I just didnt happen to like it. Boogiepop on the other hand I love, but SEL I just didnt care too much for.

And of course NGE..... -.-'

Funny story about my NGE trials. I was at a con, Kunicon I believe, I might be wrong, could be Jacon. Anyway, there were about 4 Rei's present, none of them together. A lightbulb went off,

I got all of them together and I borrowed the Unbrella swat member and preformed a small skit in the middle of a crowd.

"AH, for the love of Jesus! The clones have escaped again! Here give me that!"

You could tell the NGE worshipers cause they were the only ones not laughing.