Old 12-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #76   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

You couldn't find a more overrated anime than NGE. Character development is important, but rarely should it take precedence over plot development.
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #77   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by John Faulkner
Watched Nausicaa recently; I agree the characters were not fully developed, but it was difficult to do that in under 2 hours with so many characters. I thought there was sufficient character development, and I liked the way the film doesn't always get a character to blurt out his/her life story to get some character into them. For example, Lord Yupa has an aura of having seen it all, and that's more the way he acts than what he says (which isn't much). Aurally, I thought the music was average at best. The plot I interpret as pretty much symbolic of man VS nature, Nausicaa being the embodiment of how to live harmoniously with it, as opposed to stripping it bare. However, the way the plot is realized is very well done, and was necessarily poignant (the contrast between the valley before, during and after the battles was well depicted). I felt a more tragic ending would have made even more of a statement regarding the man VS nature theme. Overall however, it's one of the best animated films I've seen. And this came out in 1986.
Eh having read the manga and seeing the majority of Miyazaki's other output this for me just ranks near the bottom. Everything really feels truncated in it compared to the story that Miyazaki told as a comic. The plot seems sort of cliched as well as the characters (with the exception of Master Yupa) and again not nearly as intricate and interesting as the one Miyazaki did in the manga. The comic seems to be the kind of story that movie could have been had Miyazaki not been a novice director. There are some nice moments but this movie really ranks as the work of a director slowly coming into his own and just starting out to me.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #78   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Mai-Hime

I keep hearing or reading that it's one of the best anime of all time, but I've watched it and didn't see anything really special about it. I was good, but to me it's received too much praise. Speaking of which, I'm going to have to watch Mai -Otome to see if it exceeds the prior series.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #79   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

Whoever said Love Hina first is speaking the truth. Maybe it's just me but after finally seeing it after all of the hype, and seeing how devoid the manga/anime is from reality, there was nothing for me but to feel contempt towards Love Hina. This is the only anime aside from Tokyo Babylon that I hate with an unbridled, burning passion.
hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #80   [permalink]
BrikHaus81
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to BrikHaus81
Wow, I started this thread 2 years ago, and finally wandered back to Animeboards after a long absense. I can't believe it was "relatively" high on the list of subjects still being discussed. I guess a lot of people think Eva is one of the most overrated shows of all time. If I may add some more fuel to the fire, lol
1) Gungrave
2) Hellsing
Please keep in mind these are overrated, but not necessarily bad shows.
Old 28-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #81   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Originally Posted by BrikHaus81
Please keep in mind these are overrated, but not necessarily bad shows.
Ditto for pretty much all of these shows.
Old 28-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #82   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by iwakura
Ditto for pretty much all of these shows.
... well thats the thing here ... the shows mentioned in general are actually good examples of solid anime ... but due to hype and commercialization ... the show falls into the trap of promising more than ANY anime could realistically deliver on.
Virtually any anime, when placed in the context of " man, you gott see this one, its the coolest show ever ..." will fail at least partially due to the elevated expectations of veteran watchers.

Sam
Old 30-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #83   [permalink]
warlock
Executive Member

Is NGE really overrated,nah???!!!

I would say Dragon ball Z, although I've watched like a gazillion times! Sometimes the episodes seemed so similar and its all about beating the crap with one another and blowing things up with their powers!!
warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #84   [permalink]
The Creeper

Originally Posted by hakai
Whoever said Love Hina first is speaking the truth. Maybe it's just me but after finally seeing it after all of the hype, and seeing how devoid the manga/anime is from reality, there was nothing for me but to feel contempt towards Love Hina.
I TOTALLY agree. I was super disappointed with Love Hina, and I had heard such good things from it. All it was, was the same joke repeated OVER and OVER. Not only that but it's the one joke I can't stand seeing: male bashing.

Love Hina is one male bashing joke after the next and it got real old quick. Other animes I don't think are worth their hype:

Escaflowne
Naruto

Escaflowne just didn't work for me. I wasn't a fan of the animation style and I never found it as deep or compelling as others did, I don't know why I just didn't work with it. Naruto however I think is the BIGGEST overrated anime.

I do not see what the big fuss is all about, the show is nothing spectacular and outside from the original concept (ninja schools) and some interesting main characters, this isn't eye grabbing stuff. It didn't make me want to watch it.

I've seen about 3 or 4 episodes and I honestly couldn't find out what the big draw to it was. Sorry if I sound like a newb or an idiot but I really didn't find Naruto to be anywhere near the massive hype that's been built up around it.

- From......Guess

Last edited by The Creeper; 11-08-2006 at 09:26 PM.
The Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #85   [permalink]
Kusunagi
Forum Junkie

Dragonball Z!!
Kusunagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #86   [permalink]
animeD

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Trigun
Gantz
animeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 01:38 AM   #87   [permalink]
The Creeper

I don't know if this counts but this anime sure disappointed me, and it's gotta be some kinda record because it went sour only after 2 freaking episodes I just got finished watching like 5 minutes ago.

Moon Phase

It has beautiful artwork, it had some REALLY interesting characters I was actually really getting drawn into it. Then at the end of the very 2nd episode it KILLS the whole mood by bringing out a cliche anime gag.

"Having the magical/mysterious weird girl suddenly appear at home living with the main anime male, with no one shocked about it except him"....

It gets old REAL quick.

- From......Guess
Old 16-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #88   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

The most over-rated new show is easily Elfen Lied. People orgasm at the very mention of the series and will go on and on about how mature and inventive it is, but the only reason I have ever really been given for this opinion is that it has nudity and excessive violence. The characters and story are weak and uninteresting and I have no idea why so many people get hard for it.
Old 16-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #89   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Kusunagi
Dragonball Z!!
People actually have to "rate" it before you can call it overated, or do you value the opinions of 10 year olds?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #90   [permalink]
The Creeper

Originally Posted by Westlo
People actually have to "rate" it before you can call it overated, or do you value the opinions of 10 year olds?
Dragon Ball Z is NOT for ten year olds. If you've seen anything of what DBZ is like, you'd know it's hardly for anyone below the "teens".

- From......Guess