Old 16-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #91   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Nausicaa. The manga on the other hand was great though.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 12:36 AM   #92   [permalink]
YaoiFanGirl

inuyasha for sure...well i must admit i only saw the first movie..but i couldnt even watch it the whole way through i was that boring.

but then again i think sometimes thing might have been better if people dont rave about them so much..cause what i find is when people constanly go on about how great a series is before you have seen it, you go into watching it with high expectations...so when its not as great as they say you get dissapointed... but if you had watch the same thing without knowing anything about it, it may still be crap but at least you dont leave the expirance feeling let down.
YaoiFanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #93   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

Chrno Crusade
One Piece
Naruto
Love Hina
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Shoujo Kakumei Utena

I think anime in general is overrated. Most anime fans overrate their favourite series and uphold them on this great pedastool when 90% of anime is really crap made for the sole purpose of cashing in on it.

The 10% that isn't crap is still overrated because the ones rating them are obsessive fanboys and fangirls. It's really kinda' repulsive.

Last edited by heart havok; 19-09-2006 at 03:39 AM.
heart havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 05:14 AM   #94   [permalink]
YaoiFanGirl

...dont know how to delete

Last edited by YaoiFanGirl; 19-09-2006 at 05:19 AM.
Old 19-09-2006, 05:16 AM   #95   [permalink]
YaoiFanGirl

Originally Posted by heart havok
Chrno Crusade
One Piece
Naruto
Love Hina
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Shoujo Kakumei Utena

I think anime in general is overrated. Most anime fans overrate their favourite series and uphold them on this great pedastool when 90% of anime is really crap made for the sole purpose of cashing in on it.

The 10% that isn't crap is still overrated because the ones rating them are obsessive fanboys and fangirls. It's really kinda' repulsive.
i do agree with you on some part, but i wouldnt go as far as saying its repulsive...some ppl just really enjoy something to a point and start raving about it in hope that someone else will take notice and hopefully enjoy it too..

but i do agree that some ppl go a little over board at times(and i probably have be an advocate of that at sometime too)

i personally only believe that it becomes a problem when someone trys to argue over how good something and wont except it when the other person doesnt agree..because not everyone will always like the same things.

i mean i love most of the ones you listed as over rated but then again the ones i class as over rated have massive fan bases...many of them cult classics..(but then again a lot of the times i think things become popular as a result of copy cating.. and liking it just because everyone else says its so great...and not judged on their personal oppinion)...

so yea... lol um in the mist of my rant i have completely forgotten what my point was.. i think it had to do with the fact we all rate things differently and well all have the right to our own views..but maybe we all should try and reframe from geting personal if someone does sport a different oppinion..??

wow how faux diplomatic did that all sound lol

i think this must be the longest rant ever written
Old 22-09-2006, 06:00 AM   #96   [permalink]
heart havok
Forum Master

Respectable reply, YaoiFanGirl. Thanks for being mature, insightful and objective in your response.

I understand the reasoning behind getting excited about a series and wanting to share it with others. Notice, however, that I'm referring to overrating series, not overhyping them (or, "raving" about it). Certainly, I have a tremendous gripe about people overhyping things as well. The Matrix, for example, was a film I absolutely loved when I first saw it; but so many people wouldn't stop talking about how great it was that I eventually came to a point where I simply can't enjoy the film anymore. We've all been guilty of overhyping series because we're excited about something we feel passionate about and we want others to find an interest in it.

Love Hina was overhyped because I heard so many good things about it I went in with high expectations. Of course, I was extremely disappointed to find that the only episodes that have the slightest iota of plot are 1-5 and the last three with an enormous gap of filler and not-funny, unoriginal slapstic "comedy" between.

My main problem with people overrating series to an excessive degree is because you can never take anyones' word on anime reviews anymore. There used to be a point where that extremely exceptional 10% of anime was what really stood out of the crowd. With less series and movies being made at a time and preceeding digital filesharing technology, people had limited access to overseas anime and, thusly, had to select the cream of the crop to bring back to their native soil and/or share with their friends.

With the success of anime and the evolution of filesharing technologies, the anime that people are exposed to now is no longer the select few. Thus, when one is interested in looking into a new series you have to digg thru a lot of ---- to find the bone you're after. Digg by researching not only screencaptures, reviews, and summaries (btw, I can't stand reviews that summarise!), but also one must find people with similar tastes in order to filter and direct recommendations and opinions so that they match your own tastes and flavours.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this communication and independent search for what you like is aweful and that other people should decide for us what to look into but, rather, the opposite. I love that there are vastly more and more series for us to consider. This gives fans more variety to explore what we, otherwise, would never be exposed to with the hopes of finding that special series that reaches out to us in a fresh and inspiring way. The real issue here, is that there's so much anime out there that there's hardly a static scale that one can depend upon. Everybody overrates their favourite series simply because they love it. Some people give series positive marks simply based on the fact that it's anime. So many people are basing their rates on such differing systems that what one person might think is a 9, I might think is a 6.

Now, sure, we all have differing opinions. That's what message boards are all about, the sharing and retrieving of both similar and differing opinions of others, isn't it? (May be faux diplomatic, but it's true.)

I'm a fan of Bleach (though I prefer the manga) and I loved Utena's characters, design and thesis and Fullmetal Alchemist isn't half bad itself for being such a long series. The reason I place those in the "Most Overrated" category is because these are some series that I always find receive top ratings and I don't think they are truly that exceptional (this is ignoring the obvious Gundam, Slayers, Ranma 1/2, and Dragon Ball series; most of which have been previously mentioned).

One Piece and Naruto are crafted for making money. They are non-terminating series that will last as long as they bring in the cash and are based around a structure that we have seen used in anime more than most would like to admit. The creators cleverly disguise this behind archetypical characters and a very general, easily marketable theme (such as Pirates or Ninjas). The fact that so many people are obsessed with these series is proof in itself, but most older fans of such shows even recognise this; they just say they like the show dispite this observation (good for them). Eitherway, these shows aren't all that unique and don't truly have all that much to offer their audience. I think they are overrated.

Utena and Love Hina are the kind of shows that find a system that works and then recycles that system in order to extend the series further. Both shows do this in two different ways, however. The latter is a episodic slapstic comedy so most of the episodes are based around the same joke or two with different setups each episode. Not only is this redundant, but the slapstic comedy wasn't even funny the first time since we've seen it in so many other series prior to this use. The main reason people are attracted to this is, again, because of the characters. Utena has fantastic designs and some unique themes but where it fails is in its monotonous schedule. Almost every episode (and definitely each season) follows the same pattern that quickly loses its flair. Final Fantasy: Unlimited also did this, but I don't know anyone who likes that series anyways. I absolutely enjoy Bleach, but it's really not all that impressive. This is simple entertainment at best.

In my opinion, far too many people base their ratings on entertainment value alone. I think that the entertainment value of a scale system should only raise so far (perhaps to a 7) but I think that ratings 8-10 (I'm just using the 1-10 scale as an example) should be reserved for those series that are exceptionally ingenious and have a special intese quality to them that makes that series excel, above the usual greats (on the entertainment level and beyond).

Of course, I also often run into people who can't even begin to articulate why they like a series and you can't help but believe that they were told to or they are following the crowd or that they like it simply because it is anime.

Eitherway, the main thing you disagree with me on is my use of the word "repulsive."

I use the word repulsive because I can't help but feel that people are losing a valid perspective on what storytelling is. Many people will rant and rave about a series 'wonderful character development' when, thru-out a story, the characters might never really go thru a drastic transformation (this is Character Development); instead they are mistaking character information (when we learn a lot about the characters) for development. In my opinion (there's that word again), and from a scholarly point of view, character development and conflict are two of the largest factors of "good" (there's that other subjective term) storytelling and, in most overrated series, the conflict is not extremely intense, the stakes are not that high, and the character development usually isn't extremely dynamic.

Of course, sometimes we just want entertainment; Bleach is this for me, for example... but if something is "just" entertainment, doesn't that imply that it's missing something pertinent to that which excels?

Thanks for your attention.

Post Script: Trust me, I've written longer rants.
Old 22-10-2006, 03:51 AM   #97   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

Neon Genesis Evangelion. Pwned.
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 06:13 AM   #98   [permalink]
GLB_08

No real over-rated shows for me, but I do find LOVE TRIANGLES overrated. Some are good depending on the story, but when the LOVE TRIANGLE is just put there to be there...it's kind of boring. Strange though, this is coming from someone who likes Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres, and those Love Triangles are Heptagons and stuff.
GLB_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #99   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Naruto, simple and obvious.

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 22-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #100   [permalink]
Majin Buu
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Majin Buu
As muched as I liked them :

Dragon Ball Z: Story wasn't bad or anything, but dragged on for way to long.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: To many people making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Naruto: Seems like it's going to/is becoming the next DBZ.
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #101   [permalink]
Kaneda

pokemon.

i despise anything that lives in a ball.
Old 24-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #102   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Originally Posted by Majin Buu
Neon Genesis Evangelion: To many people making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread.
I was the same with Cowboy Bebop. The hype around it was so massive that there was not way that the series was going to live up to my expectations.
Old 25-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #103   [permalink]
Jagan 1

probaly...ahhh...dragon ball z..dragon ball has a better stroy, much better and GT was just dumb as hell

dis a shoutout to all my dogfood homies, canned or dry, we NEVA die!

I blame ronald McDonald for the war in Iraq
Jagan 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #104   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Nausicaa the movie.

-Sosuke Sagara

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 25-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #105   [permalink]
Gismo

I would have to say Inyasha movie 4. Though I havent seen it, people say its overraated. I've seen every episode so far and have the first three movies on dvd. Those of you that have seen it, should I see it?

I be ownzd

weatherkid is minez
I claim Kenichi

Calling all n00bs this was made for you dont let it die
Gismo is offline   Reply With Quote