Old 29-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #1   [permalink]
dez1982
Banned

"crouching tiger, hidden draggon"..why did the girl commit suicide?

i was wondering why she jumped of the bridge at the end of the movie?...or did she actually believe the myth her boyfriend told her? (if she jumped, a wish would come true)

if so...was it the director's intention for the wish to come true...or for her to fall to her death...as dictated by gravity

even gravity isn't a certain factor in the movie as the actors apparently had de ability to fly small distances....

your opinionz plz...

-dez
Old 29-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Good question, although this should probably go in GNAD...

It doesn't show her dying so I think it's all up to your own interpretation. I always thought she jumped off the bridge because she was sacrificing herself for her wish. I don't think it matters if the wish came true or not, because it was really the only way for her to show the depth of her regret and how much she wished she could change what she'd done.

I haven't seen the movie for awhile so I could be wrong, but I seem to remember her flying off in the end, through the mist... rather than falling. So maybe the director was actually trying to show that her wish had come true.

Hmmm. I think I need to watch it again.

dheu
Old 29-10-2003, 09:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

She might have wished to be re-united with her love, which could have happened whether she fell to her death (if you belive in an afterlife), or she survived to have her wish granted.
Old 30-10-2003, 08:09 AM   #4   [permalink]
dez1982
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by raynebc
She might have wished to be re-united with her love, which could have happened whether she fell to her death (if you belive in an afterlife), or she survived to have her wish granted.
but she allready was reunited with her love...the long haired chinese guy
Old 02-11-2003, 03:32 PM   #5   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
[Moving to GNAD.]
Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 PM   #6   [permalink]
zxzxzxzxzxzx
Executive Member

just out of interest, I heard some rumours about a prequel apparently titled "Precious sword, Golden Hairpin", or something like that, and with the possibility of Jet Li as a younger Li Mu Bai.
Anyone else know anything about this?
Old 03-11-2003, 01:00 AM   #7   [permalink]
Speedy
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Speedy Send a message via AIM to Speedy
Here's hoping.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:54 AM   #8   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Dez it's really quite simple. Ancienta chinese legend speaks of sacred pool where young penguin drown tragically two thousand year ago. Now, anyone who jumps off mountain fall into pool and be united with the sexiest penguin of them all: the penguinator.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:30 PM   #9   [permalink]
Eva unit 07

Quote:
Originally posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Dez it's really quite simple. Ancienta chinese legend speaks of sacred pool where young penguin drown tragically two thousand year ago. Now, anyone who jumps off mountain fall into pool and be united with the sexiest penguin of them all: the penguinator.

I think she just felt sorry for that (I forgot his name) guy who wanted to be her master (and died at the end), and she had done a lot of stupid things which couldn't be undone.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:49 PM   #10   [permalink]
Timon
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
Geez, isn't it obvious?

Anyone who has seen Highlander, or at least listened to its brief yet effective plot summerization given by Master Shake on that episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, knows that mountains have lots of magic (and I mean tons, everywhere), and by jumping off one you become immortal.

Last edited by Timon; 03-11-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #11   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

Ok... Dez... Go jump off a mountain and become immortal please...

~_~

Old 03-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #12   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

I hadn't seen the movie in a while, I forgot it was her master and not her lover that died in the movie..
Old 03-11-2003, 11:16 PM   #13   [permalink]
vlakorados
Forum Master

The ending was left open to the viewers' interpretation, and that's the way it should be. Personally I thought she jumped and wished that Li Mu Bai and Shu Lien could be together again (does the mountain have the power to raise the dead?), since in the legend the boy floated away and never came back, but his sick parents were cured. Wouldn't it be kind of hard to wish for herself and Lo (his name was Lo, wasn't it?) to be together in the desert, as Lo wished, since she would just float away and not return? It was all her fault though, so I guess it wouldn't be fair to wish for good things for herself. Poor Lo, though...
Old 04-11-2003, 02:44 AM   #14   [permalink]
zxzxzxzxzxzx
Executive Member

Yeah, it was harsh for Lo - tragic I guess is the best way to put it. I think when Li Mu Bai was dying she realised how much of what was happening was her fault, and by the time she leapt off, she just wanted all the pain to go. Or something.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:01 AM   #15   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
That was the worst part of that scene. The fact that Lo chased her everywhere, only to watch his lover kill herself. It sucked. Lo was a cool character.

dheu