Old 26-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #1   [permalink]
ry_goody

Ok this is what I think it means.

First, you have to realize that director Anno was in a serious pit of depression when writing the script for NGE, or so I hear from rumors. I do believe NGE reflects what Anno was feeling during his depression and my guess would be that Anno sees himself as Shinji.

Throughout all of NGE the whole thing is about people not treating Shinji correctly, much how Anno probably felt people were treating him. So from that you can guess that the resolution to NGE is going to be somewhat of an answer in how to make people treat each other properly. Which it was, everyone turning into a soul and no body would get rid of greed and lust, making everyone respect people for who they are. But of course, that has no real meaning in real life.

I think the message Anno was trying to convey in the real world is that you are in fact 2 different people. The person you see and the person that other people see, NGE goes into depth on this in episodes 25 and 26, but not so much in the movie. So basically, you understand yourself and why you do it. From another persons perspective, you are a different person, they see what you do and why you do it, in a different way.

I believe that Anno thinks that the cause for all the mistreatment is people cannot see the other them, they only see the one side to themselves. If one cannot see the side that other people see, then there is no reason for people to exsist. Because in episode 26 they talk about how limits define who you are. Limits are other people. If you can't understand how other people see you, then the limits exsisting will not help you define who you are.

So then in the EoE movie, everyone pops into LCL. The limits are all gone and the only thing that defines a person is themself. Then right before shinji goes back in EoE, Rei's voice says something along the lines of "those who can see themselves int here hearts can return", thats not the exact line but it's similiar. I think this is meaning that the people who can see both sides of themselves, the one inside them and the one others see, can return to earth. Basically anyone who can properly use the limits set by other people to their advantage can return. Otherwise, whats the point of having those limits if you can't use them properly?

I think that Anno belives if people were to just stop and realize what other people thought about them, then all emotional problems would be fixed. For people both like Shinji and Asuka. Shinji would stop and see that other people really don't view him that badly. Asuka would stop and see that she treats others very poorly, especially those that matter.

Now, at the very end of EoE, when just Asuka and Shinji are on earth I alone. First off, I believe other people will return to earth, it's just that Shinji and Asuka are the first to return. But when Shinji starts to choke Asuka, Asuka then touches his face softly etc etc, you all know how it goes. So I believe that since Asuka returned she can "now see herself inside of her own heart", or however goes. Meaning she now understands how other people view her. Then when she says 'how disgusting' at the very end, she is reffering to herself. 'How disgusting this is that I could make someone cry, even attempt to kill me, that at one point truly cared for me, all because I could only see one side of myself'.

So basically, whats the whole point and message in NGE?
Always consider the feelings of other people and what they think of you.
ry_goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 02:48 PM   #2   [permalink]
Bomberman00004
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Bomberman00004 Send a message via AIM to Bomberman00004 Send a message via Yahoo to Bomberman00004
i like the way you saw the EoE end scene... never thought of that one myself. it sounds plausible. evangelion is a weird series though, and you could analyze and overanalyze it for years (as we've been doing here at ab). there's no way to say you're right or wrong, but i like how you put it.

anno did use a lot of psychology in the series though, like the see yourself and how others see you thing.
Bomberman00004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:25 AM   #3   [permalink]
Del Akari

One opinion is that Eva is basically a critique of the human race. Epic, grand.
Del Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:12 AM   #4   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Quote:
ry_goody
I think the message Anno was trying to convey in the real world is that you are in fact 2 different people
Maybe Anno was saying that we are 2 different people if we build up a persona/ego based on what others expect of you, social status, the possessions and "knowledge" you possess etc., rather than being what you really want to be. The key might be to get rid of this persona. Is that the symbolic message when everyone turns back into LCL, where everyone sheds their persona and returns to the same essential human essence?

Quote:
ry_goody
I think that Anno belives if people were to just stop and realize what other people thought about them, then all emotional problems would be fixed. For people both like Shinji and Asuka. Shinji would stop and see that other people really don't view him that badly. Asuka would stop and see that she treats others very poorly, especially those that matter.
....their actions could be due to selfishness to an extent.....but they were also affected by the selfishness of other characters e.g. Gendo is selfish for using Shinji for his own means and Misato questioned whether she was doing the same. Is this selfishness part of the AT Field?

Quote:
ry_goody
Now, at the very end of EoE, when just Asuka and Shinji are on earth I alone. First off, I believe other people will return to earth, it's just that Shinji and Asuka are the first to return. But when Shinji starts to choke Asuka, Asuka then touches his face softly etc etc, you all know how it goes. So I believe that since Asuka returned she can "now see herself inside of her own heart", or however goes. Meaning she now understands how other people view her. Then when she says 'how disgusting' at the very end, she is reffering to herself. 'How disgusting this is that I could make someone cry, even attempt to kill me, that at one point truly cared for me, all because I could only see one side of myself'.
....possible. And maybe Shinji stopped strangling Asuka as he realises that he doesn't really want to do it, after both saw "inside" each other.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:57 AM   #5   [permalink]
DrZepp
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to DrZepp Send a message via AIM to DrZepp
Originally Posted by ry_goody
Its a really interesting way to look at it... That Asuka was refering to herself at the end. I usually think of it similarly, but I have a few different views.

First of all, I dont think anyone will return from the LCL. I mean, its possible, but something tells me that no one will. The fact that we see each character 'submitting' to one thing or another right before they turn into liquid (Fear, desire etc.) seems so permanent to me. As a storyteller bringing his characters to an end, it would just seem backwards to have a revelatory demise like that... with the chance of coming back to life. Eitherway, I cant be assed to think of more support for this hah.

As for the VERY last scene... it is pretty desolate. Obviously. The idea that Asuka is refering to herself is actually a bit more positive than how I saw it. I think that Shinji and Asuka experienced the humam collective. Being assimilated by the Borg (from star Trek -wow, im a ------- nerd-) is about the closest analogy I can come up with. They basically peered in on every facet of the human mind. I imagine that would be pretty overwhelming, which is what Shinji and Asuka are struck with. And they are both horrified. Shinji reacts by strangling Asuka, maybe wishing that they had both died, and Asuka utters the word disgusting, refering to the human race.

Thats one way of looking at it I suppose... and there are lots more.

I wonder if the great literary works of our time have gotten half as much discussion as Eva has
DrZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:41 AM   #6   [permalink]
PowerofGod

I do agree that anno wanted people to see they had 2 selves, i mean Shinji had to learn that not everyone thinks the way he does, everyone has a different perception on things, and he could have any perception he wanted, he could be whoever he wanted to be, but others would always see him differently. Anno was Shinji, but anno was also gendo, he even looks like Gendo, anno was actually alot of people in the show.

I also agree with the more positive end of eva, i think asuka was digusted with herself, but also with shinji, lots of people think shinji was showing strength by stangling asuka, i think he was running away again, trying to get rid of her so she couldn't hurt him, and she says how disgusting like meaning the both of them. Yet in another translation i've seen, asuka says i feel sick, so i dont know.
PowerofGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:48 AM   #7   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Quote:
PowerofGodI do agree that anno wanted people to see they had 2 selves, i mean Shinji had to learn that not everyone thinks the way he does, everyone has a different perception on things, and he could have any perception he wanted, he could be whoever he wanted to be, but others would always see him differently. Anno was Shinji, but anno was also gendo, he even looks like Gendo, anno was actually alot of people in the show.
It was an arduous journey to discover human nature, not just for Shinji, but for all the characters. Maybe at the end, Shinji discovers that even though perceptions fluctuate, including his perception of himself, his "inner self", which has the ability to "love", never changes.

Was there a bit of Anno in the Evas as well?
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote