Old 22-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #1   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Cool Samurai Champloo!!!!

Spoiler:
All hell has broken loose!!! This thread was inevitable!!! I watched the first episode and I must say that I haven't been so excited watching an anime since Cowboy Bebop, which Shinichiro Watanabe directed. This anime is just oozing with so much style and substance from beginning to end. You could really tell and feel that alot of work was put into this. I don't know, words can't begin to describle what I saw, but I'll try!! What made Bebop enjoyable were the characters. This anime is no exception. We get introduced to three central Characters: Mugen, Jin, and Fuu-chan. Mugen and Jin are the ones I am feeling the most right now. Mugen is pretty much like Spike, the badass whom doesn't give a damn!!! I like his fighting style too. He combines his sword techinque with some capieora or breakdancing which makes for some interesting fighting sequences in this episode. Then you have Jin, whom reminds me of Jet. Very cool, calm, and collective. Also very skilled with the sword. I like the way he swings his blade with just one arm, if that makes since. If not, you'll have to see for yourself!! Fuu-chan is pretty much a klutz right now. Nothing too special or unique about her. But I'll give it time before she blossoms.

My favorite scenes were when Mugen and Jin clashed with each other. The Yin and Yang so to speak. The fight between them flowed so smoothly and with style. You'll have to see to understand....

As for the plot, there isn't one yet. This episode was to introduce the three characters and to get a feel for them and their way of life. At the end, they end up going on a journey to find the Samurai whom smells like sunflowers??!! Episode 2 can't come soon enough!!!

One area that was interesting is the music. On one hand, I was surprised that Kanno wasn't working with Watanabe, since this somewhat mirrors Bebop as far as style is concerned. But here, I found the music enjoyable. The opening has rap, with english. It's put to good use with the style and theme of the anime. The ED music is more mellow and relaxed, which sounded great too.

I just like how everything here just flows together from the music, style, fighting, characters. Everything just flows naturally. That's why I am typing so much!!! This definately the "Must See Anime" right now. To answer most questions, this anime is definately worth the hype!

Last edited by ACE2001; 22-05-2004 at 07:36 PM.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Since you've got your review in spoiler tags, I guess I'll do the same. Baa, baa.

Spoiler:
Whoa......

Just... Yeah!

Man.... What an awesome first episode. It's been a long, long time since I watched something and thought, "This is damn cool!" The fight scenes were awesome, particularly the one between Mugen and Jin.... loved it! The slickness of the animation, the music, the wicked style... This series is not only worth the hype, it's well worth those four exclamation points you tagged onto the title of the thread, ACE2001.

Argh. I'm currently in love with this series. When does the next episode come out?!
Old 23-05-2004, 01:00 AM   #3   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Well, I am in Japan right now, so it comes out for me on every Thursday at 26:00 on Fuji TV. I imagine that episode 2 will be subbed just as quickly as the first!
Old 23-05-2004, 04:00 AM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Agh, do you know how much I envy you for that? "The Land of Anime" indeed... and you don't even need to wait for it to be subbed!

Old 23-05-2004, 09:40 AM   #5   [permalink]
NewGenesis

Send a message via ICQ to NewGenesis
That is so not fair...! I have wanted to see this series ever since I read about it in Newtype...Ack, now it looks like I will just have to move to Japan.
Old 24-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #6   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I love hiphop and anime so do I like this? Like a chick who doesn't give head thats a no brainer!

Samurai Champloo owns me.

Spoiler:

The animation is highly detailed and fluid just like Bebop! It's great to have a fighting anime that shows each swing and movement instead of just the slashes on the screen (see Samurai Deeper Kyo and non important fights in Kenshin) like in the Kenshin OVA series.

This anime looks like it will be blast from it's great fighting, it's crazy characters, the way it cuts from scene to scene and the hiphop breakbeats.

I love the way Mugen fights though I seem to like always prefer the secondary main hero character (Ryuhou over Kazuma, Saito over Kenshin, Vegeta over Goku, Wolfwood over Vash, Sessy over Inuyasha etc) which is Jin in this case and Fuu chan looks like good comedy relief.

I can't wait for a story to start not that it needs one right now

Thankfully I have dsl now and props to AF for the low file size of the encode on Champloo, this was the most impressive first episode I've seen since Cowboy Bebop (it was better Bebop really hit it's stride in ep 5) and the first time I'm actually hyped for the next fansub release since RahXephon & Junni Kokku back in 2002.

New Genesis PM me if your got broadband and I'll tell you where to go and if you have dial up and don't think 140 meg is too much to get PM anyway.

Last edited by Westlo; 24-05-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2004, 12:57 PM   #7   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

140 MB?! D'oh!

Originally Posted by Westlo
Spoiler:
I love the way Mugen fights though I seem to like always prefer the secondary main hero character (Ryuhou over Kazuma, Saito over Kenshin, Vegeta over Goku, Wolfwood over Vash, Sessy over Inuyasha etc) which is Jin in this case and Fuu chan looks like good comedy relief.
Ah, I agree. (In fact, with the exception of Wolfwood over Vash, I agree with all your statements, actually. Secondary main characters are almost always the best.) After one episode, I can say that Jin rocks. Mugen's a thug.

Also, with Fuu-chan, the set-up has a whole "Blade of the Immortal" ring to it, only with two samurai instead of one helping her. Which is good, because BotI is one of my favorite manga series. Having two people like Jin and Mugen at each other's throats all the time adds a new dynamic to the story.

Although technically, I suppose Mugen isn't a samurai.
Old 25-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #8   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Nagha's revenge
Oh. My. God.

This is how I always hoped a samurai anime would be, finally technology is able to fulfil my fickle desires on a weekly basis. ^__^

Originally Posted by more reviewing and spoilers!
This anime is so awesome. OP is a great story-telling rap. Basically this the way this rap flows is the way the series flows. Smart, thoughtful, smooth, and with a lot of attitude.
The lighting in this series is very nice - think soultaker but with greater detail. The animation is smoooth, swords fly and you actually *see* swords fly. Character movement, scene transitions, mouth movements, the expression "hot knife through butter" comes to mind.
The first episode just meshes the paths of Mugen and Jin together scenes crash into each other with (free)style. I don't recall the last time when a main character was just plain stupid (re: uneducated) the way Mugen is, without there being something to compensate or make you think he isn't *really* stupid. It's hard to explain but I find his lack of refinement honest and refreshing. Jin on the other hand seems to be the exact opposite, though he has more of a cold blooded killer in him. For the time being they mesh well and have great chemistry.
Fuu-chan seems to be comic relief, and I was slightly disappointed with to see Momo (the cute flying squirrel) I don't think this series need cute fluffy animal sidekicks. Still a series is allowed to have some beauty marks.
I can't wait until I get my mitts on episode 2 if they continue this manner of storytelling I'll be one happy viewer (and DVD-owner).

So AF subbed it as well? I got mine off of Aoi-anime, they did a lovely 197 meg Xvid encode (I think).

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."

-- Gandhi

Last edited by Nagha's revenge; 25-05-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Nagha's revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2004, 05:52 PM   #9   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Just a little quick side note: This anime series is licensed by Geneon, so be careful about giving away the links. Man, I can't wait untill tonight, to think I will be the first one to see episode 2!!!
Old 26-05-2004, 10:23 AM   #10   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Yep Anime-Forever did it and it looked like a well done encode as far as I can tell.

The animation is smoooth, swords fly and you actually *see* swords fly

Yeah I know it's amazing isn't it

It's like Kenshin mixed with Cowboy Bebop
and did i mention it has hiphop

Yeah fear my rhyming skills

Anyway how many episodes is Samurai Champloo slated for?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2004, 12:22 AM   #11   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Bad news guys, looks like we will have to wait another week for episode 2. Seems that Fuji TV sports programs are getting some more air time then expected. To think I stayed up all night just to watch episode 2!!! Oh well, there's always next week.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:32 AM   #12   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Well, I've seen the first episode and I must admit this is an unusual concoction. There are certain elements that work but it's not exactly consistent: It's weird to have hip-hop beats accompanying samurai battles but there are times when it actually works.

Mind you, for a first ep, this is one helluva entertaining anime. And I did love that 'Earlier that day' Sequence

I wonder: Does the presence of a hip-hop soundtrack kinda create the impession that this anime is all a scam to sell to the Americans?
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #13   [permalink]
Shadow War
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow War Send a message via AIM to Shadow War
I saw episode 2 a few days ago and it is good too. I think this is shaping up to be a good series. Wonder when the bad guy will be introduced? I hope he is as cool as Vicious.
Shadow War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #14   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Finally caught the second episode.

Once again, the action sequences are awesome. The fight between Jin and the assassin was just so cool..... Very gorgeous animation. Plenty of money is being put into this, and I hope that well doesn't dry up before the series ends. I'd even be willing to wait two weeks in between episodes, as long as the animation quality doesn't go down.

The hip-hop elements are toned down a bit in this episode; there's none of the scratching scene changes that were in the first, although the music is still everywhere. Which is a good thing, because somehow the hip-hop works in this series.

I'm really looking forward to more.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:39 PM   #15   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

I think other's have already said what I feel, or something like it.

However, the 2nd episode wasn't as good, but damn this show has promise. It's Cowboy Bebop all over again. Sweeeet.
thedarkmarine is offline   Reply With Quote