Old 18-08-2004, 06:24 AM   #31   [permalink]
EVA Type-R
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to EVA Type-R
Ah, boy, this is the first time I've been able to talk about anime on AB for a looooong time. Makes me feel quite good, frankly.

Anyway.

Spoiler:
Up to episode 10 has been subbed by AnimeForever, which means discussion on this anime hasn't been happening for a while. Either way... For a while, I didn't like a lot of this anime because it was inconsistent... Inconsistent with a lot of history, I mean. Episode... 9 was it? Where the guy started straight up beat-boxing? Haha... I was disappointed for a while. But the more I skim through it (and read the manga a bit here and there), the more I come to appreciate the satire of it all. At this point, Watanabe's making subtle jokes at a lot of things.... In the first episode there was the kid randomly walking down the street in the "flashback," listening to his radio... In ... I don't remember which episode, but in that one, they poked fun at those samurai shows way back when... And more recently, the beat-boxing thing I was talking about. It's always refreshing to see anime that's not too serious (as much as I love the more serious anime, I need a break from mind-bending )... Aaand.... Thank god for the soundtrack. Anyway. Yup. Sounds about right.

One thing that's getting aggravating so far is Watanabe's complete refusal to give any sort of history to any of the characters. So far, there's only been a quiet mention of Jin's past... NOTHING of Mugen haha... And some random sunflower dude in the past of Fuu.

Which brings up my next question, what about this Sunflower character, hm? There are a lot of possibilites as to who he could be, so far. I'm really, honestly hoping it's not just some random love interest, though. Too many films have gone down that path and completely failed to come back with anything of value. My (hopeful) theory? It's her brother. I'm saying her brother because I also don't want it to go down the path of "SUNFLOWER MAN KILLED MY FATHER AND MOTHER LEAVING ME A HELPLESS ORPHAN I WANT REVENGE BLAH BLAH"... Buuut, it really doesn't seem like that since Fuu doesn't have any sort of aversion to this character... Also, I'm saying this because when she mentions his name, the entire scene doesn't go all shoujo-y, nor does it get all dark and stormy. Which means he's got to be someone that doesn't have a hugely affecting relationship on her... But someone she just wants to find out of hope that she might have some sort of relative she can depend on or... something. I don't know, I'm probably wrong, but I hope not.

ANYWAY. Episode 10 was awesome. One thing I was wondering about was how Mugen suddenly learned to use that wind or whatever it was to blow away the Tsujigiri's sword. Clarification, anyone?

So that was a long post. Wow. Anyway.
Old 21-08-2004, 04:54 PM   #32   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
Originally Posted by EVA Type-R
Ah, boy, this is the first time I've been able to talk about anime on AB for a looooong time. Makes me feel quite good, frankly.
You know, I'd participate in this discussion, except a certain somone who said they'd DL them for me because BT is a b**** to my connection never does.

- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 08:55 AM   #33   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

Gee, I too am having trouble remembering the last time I talked about anime on this board. If only I'd bothered reading about this anime sooner, I wouldn't have to be doing so much catch up. (I'm madly trying to download all the fansubs I can find) I steered clear of for so long as the name never really inspired any confidence in me (who else thinks it sounds like some sort of hair care product?) BTW does anyone know what champloo means?

I think it's a very good piece of work, and its definitely got that Nabeshin touch. The hiphop sound track grates on my nerves, but then again I'm an ardent hiphop hater, so I'm biased in that regard. However I will admit Nabeshin (I'm just going to call him that as Watanabe Shinichiro is just too much to write) did a good job of making the soundtrack fit into the show. I do love the lyrics of the opening song, I only wish it had been done....differently.

I've only seen eps 1,2 and 11 (dl that thinking it was 1. teach me to pay closer attention to file names), and at this point I'm willing to bet that the sunflower samurai is either Jin, Mugen or that hired assassin from ep2 (he did say he'd back...)
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 11:44 PM   #34   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
It takes a little Googling, but apparently there was mention of it's meaning in a Newtype interview with Watanabe (Unfortunately, I can't find that link again, although I think it was the October issue.)

One person explained it thusly:
Quote:
Champloo is an Okinawan dish. Specifically, it is Okinawan fried rice. In the Okinawan tongue (I'd rather not call it a "dialect" since it is very distinct), it means "mish-mash", or as godot would pretentiously like to put it, a "melange". Champloo is also the name of the style of "swordsmanship" Mugen employs when he fights, at least according to the website, and Mugen is from Okinawa (or Ryuukyuu, as it was called back in those days). Mugen basically fights like a wild animal.
One site, however, claimed it was misspelled. Hm. Another said it's a word not every Japanese would know, beng more slang than a "real" word. Whatever is truth, the title now makes sense.

- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 01:11 AM   #35   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

It also makes him the central character, but I don't think he's the sunflower samurai. It makes it too obvious.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #36   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Wow,I just watched some episodes and this is one fun anime!

My only worry is that it'll become loaded with fan service.As it has been pointed out Fuu gets more screen time now,and twice now she almost got stuck being a whore.If it happens a third time I may stop watching this series.

But I love Jin and Mugen.A true Yin Yang pair!
Old 23-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #37   [permalink]
EVA Type-R
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to EVA Type-R
Hm... You bring up an odd point about the assassain being the sunflower samurai, Lurker... But I don't think it's either Mugen or Jin. It couldn't be, the trio has had enough contact by now to realize what they smell like. XD

I do get kind of pissed off every time they mention him, though... The amount of cliche that's in that one element of the story is just ridiculous. But anyway.
Old 29-08-2004, 06:56 AM   #38   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Spoiler:
Well...the first half of Samurai Champloo is done and I must say that I am pleased with what I am seeing so far. Episode 13 was a definate cliffhanger as we watch the boat explode not knowing whether or not Mugen is still alive. Knowing him, that bastard survived anyway. Can't comment too much on this episode yet as I've only seen in raw.

My thoughts on the first 13 episodes is this....there's no doubt that this anime is oozing with style. Fluid samurai scenes and good music makes this anime really stand out. However, there has yet to be much substance to back up the style, which is the thing everyone is complaining about. If we learned anything from Wantanabe doing Bebop is that he saves the best for last so I am sure that Samurai Champloo wont be an exception so I am not worried about that part. I believe that Watanabe is taking the time to flesh out the characters and make them "loose" before actually confronting the "samurai whom smells like flowers." I believe they'll find him probably around episode 20 or so. Hopefully, he's a kick ass character, as he's in complete mystery right now, so I can't wait to see his character. Now that I think about it, does anyone have the feeling that it could be Fuu's father?? That would be too predictable but I just have a weird feeling....

Some bad news, for me anyways, looks like after episode 17, Fuji TV is taking Samurai Champloo off air and putting it on a satellite channel. It sucks that I don't have satellite, so I'll have to wait just like you guys.

With that said, who do you like so far out of the 3 characters? For me it's Jin as he's more down to earth and shows a more emotional side than Jin does. Also his sword style is reserved and unique, which makes a joy for me to watch him swing his sword with ease. I like Jin too for his reckless sword techniques, but I admit he seems to be a bit stronger than Jin right now. It be interesting to see if they even last long enough to fight the final battle between them. Fuu is without a doubt the glue that is holding them together. It's actually surprising considering her age, I am impressed that they haven't completely abandoned her. I wonder how long it will last and what will happen when they meet the Sunflower Samurai.

Man, I defiantely enjoying this series and looking forward to more episodes.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #39   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I've seen upto episode 14 (the later eps courtesy of #anime-heaven)

Spoiler:
Well it started off brilliantly but hasn't quite reached the level of Cowboy Bebop yet. It has had some good episodes (10 & 11) but there has been imo no standout episode like ep 5 of Bebop. The recap episode was actually enjoyable to watch and I've liked the little touches like the beatboxing and stuff throughout it.

But like you said he saves his best for last so we shall see how good it ends up being, the sunflower samurai plot device better have a good payoff and not be something corny.

As for favourite character it would have to be Jin at the moment and I'm hoping for some more episodes based on Jin to be coming up soon though I've sure he will be running into his former masters students sooner than later and theres also the samurai from episode 2 who had his measure.

At the moment I'll rate this a C+/B- and I can't wait for the rest of it, I'm just hoping for no more recaps during the series.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #40   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Well, I've managed to see up to episode 16.....

Spoiler:
.......And I must admit that would have to one of the best ep's I've seen to date. I liked that female ninja and how she managed to use Mugen's amorousness against him. Priceless

But her concluding comment (you'll know when you see it) is certainly perplexing. And in that sense, I have to see more becuase I have absolutely no idea how this series is going to end! (A similiar thing happened earlier this year when i watched Kimi ga Nozomu Eien)
It's not like Bebop when Spike's inevitable fate was established at the beginning and hinted at throughout.
But in any case, I'm going to have to wait until the series is released in Australia to see any more.
(things like these happen when you have a crap computer)
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2004, 02:42 AM   #41   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I've now also seen upto 16 and the last two eps have been good anyway I came across this in one of the fansubbers channels

Champloo 18 Will Air Mid Jan 2005, Don't bug us about it until you have read thi'

Fuji TV dropped it after episode 17 due to bad ratings
Old 19-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #42   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Originally Posted by Westlo
I've now also seen upto 16 and the last two eps have been good anyway I came across this in one of the fansubbers channels

Champloo 18 Will Air Mid Jan 2005, Don't bug us about it until you have read thi'

Fuji TV dropped it after episode 17 due to bad ratings
I read on one of the forums i go to that it's moving to satellite with episode 18. of course, i don't know how reliable that is

edit:I was told that it was moving to PPV

Last edited by Fatal Outlaw; 22-10-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #43   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Episode 18 is now subbed and I've downloading it right now...

I guess i better watch ep 17 first....had it for months..... which would tell you what i think of ep 16's cliffhangar

The first dvd is out as well I think...
Old 27-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #44   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Originally Posted by Westlo
The first dvd is out as well I think...
yep, trust an importer to beat the US members posting here

The video looks great and I have no complaints about the translation, extras are few but the big dissapointment here was the promise of the jap 5.1 DTS track. Sure the DVD has it and sure it sounds great, the music in Champloo sounds incredible thanks to DTS but the dialogue and effects is so front channel loaded its practically stereo! Across the whole four episodes I could count the number of times the show hit my rear speakers on one hand with fingers to spare!

Still better than plain stereo but its not exactly reference quality. Highly recommended purchase though!

Last edited by MrBS; 30-01-2005 at 07:49 PM. Reason: I need an intern to proof read my posts!
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #45   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Hmm I can't wait till it comes out in Australia so I can tell my friend to buy it.

*while in jbhifi*

Me - Get Samurai Champloo

Friend - Samurau what?

Me - it's by the guy who did bebop and it's about samurai plus it has hiphop

Friend - WHAT THATS OFF ITS HEAD!!!

Me - *cringes and looks around whilst slightly backing away*

Anyway I rather enjoyed episodes 17 & 18, I forgot how fun this series is.