Old 29-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #46   [permalink]
cryptic soul

Send a message via AIM to cryptic soul
just out of curiousity,
people at this forum have been raving about samurai champloo saying how they haven't been excited about anime in a long time.
i started watching the seires and i agree, it is a very good anime (i've seen 16 eps so far).
but here's my question, why do you guys think the viewer turn out in japan is low?
cryptic soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #47   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
The main character(girl) isn't hot(not a lot of girls either) and girls don't like fightings, so it doesn't appeal to the otaku's and it doesn't appeal to girls either. Also the character said it themselves, this anime isn't going anywhere.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #48   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

ep 18 reveals alot about the flower smelling samurai

i just can't see a great ending coming from that... but we shall see
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #49   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Well the identity of the Sunflower smelling Samurai is out now and I'll have to say I'm disappointed right now...

but ep 20 & 21 did have some nice fight scenes
Old 20-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #50   [permalink]
Nagha's revenge
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Nagha's revenge
Blah, I guessed the identity of the sunflower samurai by episode 16/17 (after the new years break). No surpise there, you could have known by observing Fuu's reaction throughout the series.

Why isn't this doing well in Japan? Why didn't Wolf's rain do well in Japan? Why did NGE do so much better in the west than in Japan? People feel they've seen it. No doubt it being heavy on history, and light on identifiable characters helps. Most popular series in Japan have leading characters the average 'Nip' can relate to, average being the lowest common denomenator. Besides is Japan into the whole 'urban'-vibe of Champloo? Last time I checked Japan is full of Mecha otakus with loli- and shotaru-cons.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."

-- Gandhi
Nagha's revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #51   [permalink]
terifermi

Originally Posted by cryptic soul
just out of curiousity,
people at this forum have been raving about samurai champloo saying how they haven't been excited about anime in a long time.
i started watching the seires and i agree, it is a very good anime (i've seen 16 eps so far).
but here's my question, why do you guys think the viewer turn out in japan is low?
Hey, even Cowboy Bebop was cut short in it's first japanese run...

I think the Japanese market is oversaturated, and i think that just like in the US, you need *BIG* ratings to be considered succesfull. It's not like here in Canad, were a show can be considered "big" in one provence, but not even shown in the others...
Old 23-03-2005, 01:57 AM   #52   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I gotta admit Samurai Champloo finished well, eps 24-26 were awesome. A lot of great fight scenes in the last two eps, it's nice to see such great fights fluidly animated and no spped lines and shyt like in others.
Old 19-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #53   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Been watching Samurai Champloo the past few days and well I've just finished it.

What did I think?

Started off great with the first episode that really hooked me, love the hip hop elements with the beat boxing, the tagging and what not. As I progressed through the series I was dissapointed to realise that they went for 'stand alone' episodes and that the whole sunflower samurai plot took the backbench of the series and those episodes weren't all that great either, mediocre at best story wise that is, the fights are fantastic and I wished there were more. It unbelievably irked me when after finishing the episodes with the blind lady I was met with two filler episodes one about zombies and one about baseball .., it was episode 22 and 23 for goodness sake and they haven't reached Nagisaki (sp?) and they've revealed hardly anything about the sunflower samurai, I began to worry at that stage with only 3 more episodes to go what will they do? At least there were some great fight scenes in the last 2 episodes. But all in all I was a bit dissapointed with this series, I really really wanted to love this series but it just didn't happen.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #54   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Got volume 2 on DVD last week and I'm disgusted with the DTS 5.1 mix! The rear speaker saw some noticeable directionality maybe twice on the first DVD, down to once on the second. What is the point of a 5.1 mix with no directionality? There were plenty of sequences where it could have been used too but instead all they seem to do is mirror the sound effects and music in the rear speakers which is useless.

Series continues to be reasonable though
Old 11-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #55   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

Huh. I'm surprised there's already been so much talk about this series when I've only just heard about it in the last week on Adult Swim. Mugen looks like a back alley thug but then that's a good thing since you don't see too many heroes like that in anime. Bottom line, is Champloo better than Bebop?
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #56   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Guess many of us will get a chance to see it on Adult Swim this next week.

The previews look a bit different, and it doesn't look as good as Bebop. But that's only a fleeting initial impression.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:01 AM   #57   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Originally Posted by DraniX
Bottom line, is Champloo better than Bebop?
Well no not really, I have to admit I prefered the samurai and hiphop elements more then the space and jazz of Cowboy Bebop. But Champloo wasn't executed as well as Bebop, Champloo's standalone episodes some what paled in comparison. It was a fun ride while it lasted though.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #58   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Wow,

This has a nice artistic style, but it seems to have violence just for the sake of violence in the first episode. Once the shock of that wears off, I hope something else will keep my interest. But, I've seen just the first episode.
Old 17-05-2005, 03:28 AM   #59   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

After seeing the first ep, I gotta say that the visual quality is much higher than Bebop, and at least in that respect I'm overwhelmed. Use of shadows, atmosphere...I don't know what happened in the story or its ending to make people shrug with disappointment, but I personally like it so far. A lot, in fact. Besides, it's pretty clear that comparing this to Bebop is like apples and orange soda. CB was about showing us a larger-than-life setting rich with culture and futuristic possibilities for our characters to immerse and interact as they cruise across space and time. SC is about three people living day-to-day wandering feudal Japan. There will be limitations. For my part, I hope I won't end up wishing that I'd watched this before Bebop. No anime should have to live in another's shadow when they both seem so radically different.
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2005, 06:31 PM   #60   [permalink]
cryptic soul

Send a message via AIM to cryptic soul
recently saw the dub version and i think the dubbing was pretty well done.
for those who have seen both subbed and dubbed versions, what did u think?