Old 31-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #16   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Yeah. I think I might have gone a little insane with the spoiler buttons when I first started this thread. Should have made one huge one for those posts instead of a bunch of little spoiler tags. Oh well.
Old 26-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #17   [permalink]
Nikachu
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Nikachu Send a message via MSN to Nikachu Send a message via Yahoo to Nikachu
Well I just finished watching the entire series and just HAD to come back to AB after almost 2 years of hiatus to talk about it. Man it's been a while *breaths in the beautiful, smelly AnimeBoards air*

First off, to answer some of the questions that have been lingering...

Tsukiko in the last episode, with short hair, is wearing an OL (Office lady) uniform. A lot of female workers in corporate companies have to wear a standard uniform which I guess do look like high school uniforms. (The fetish never stops in Japan, does it?)

The suicide trio are based on a few past incidents where strangers who met on chatrooms discussed ways to kill themselves, then met each other and carried it out together. I understand the young man was gay, and his wish to die probably has something to do with that. Not sure why the little girl and old man wanted to die though...and what was with that candy? And when exactly did they die? And WHAT does the story have to do anything with the main story?

When the policeman Ikari says 'It's just like after the war...', I immediately thought of 'his world'; the illusional retro town of 1960s Japan where everybody was happy and peaceful, much like Pleasantville. With the problems and trials modern people face, which was the reason Shonen Bat started attacking in the first place, <i>maybe if Tokyo and the whole of Japan got completly ruined just like it did after the atomic bomb, if the whole country could reconstruct itself again, then they could relive through the good, simple times just like Ikari nostalgised for.</i> But unfortunately, Tokyo had quickly remodelled itself back to its previous form. People run around busily and bury their noses into their cellphones. Instead of Maromi there's a cat character even cuter and more calming than Maromi. And now that the old man has died, the young policeman has taken his place.

I think the series has a lot to do with modern society and social psychology, if that's even a word.
Old 27-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #18   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by Nikachu
Tsukiko in the last episode, with short hair, is wearing an OL (Office lady) uniform. A lot of female workers in corporate companies have to wear a standard uniform which I guess do look like high school uniforms. (The fetish never stops in Japan, does it?)
Hey, thanks for the info. I didn't know about OL uniforms, and seeing her walk around in what looked like a school uniform confused the heck out of me.

Quote:
The suicide trio are based on a few past incidents where strangers who met on chatrooms discussed ways to kill themselves, then met each other and carried it out together. I understand the young man was gay, and his wish to die probably has something to do with that. Not sure why the little girl and old man wanted to die though...and what was with that candy? And when exactly did they die? And WHAT does the story have to do anything with the main story?
Maybe it's just there as an example of another way that people try to avoid their problems.

Quote:
When the policeman Ikari says 'It's just like after the war...', I immediately thought of 'his world'; the illusional retro town of 1960s Japan where everybody was happy and peaceful, much like Pleasantville. With the problems and trials modern people face, which was the reason Shonen Bat started attacking in the first place, <i>maybe if Tokyo and the whole of Japan got completly ruined just like it did after the atomic bomb, if the whole country could reconstruct itself again, then they could relive through the good, simple times just like Ikari nostalgised for.</i> But unfortunately, Tokyo had quickly remodelled itself back to its previous form. People run around busily and bury their noses into their cellphones. Instead of Maromi there's a cat character even cuter and more calming than Maromi. And now that the old man has died, the young policeman has taken his place.
Good point.

Quote:
I think the series has a lot to do with modern society and social psychology, if that's even a word.
You're exactly right. It's really more a psychological study than a story about Maromi.
Old 28-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #19   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
I watched this on G4TV a while back.

I liked the beginning, but it started to get a bit too silly for me about 2/3rds the way in.

I really liked the suicide episode. Especially the ending of it.

The overall explanation was OK. So she had some special power that was warped a bit from past negative experiences. It still seemed a bit lacking to me though.
Old 28-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #20   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

I don't think it was so much that she had a special power. I think it was more a psychological tale that was told using Tokyo as a backdrop, showing the effects of hiding the truth from yourself in order to avoid facing the harsh reality of life. In other words, it was all a metaphor.
Old 30-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #21   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Yeah. The ending was good.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #22   [permalink]
Nikachu
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Nikachu Send a message via MSN to Nikachu Send a message via Yahoo to Nikachu
Speaking of metaphors, there's this one theory that I have but am having a difficult time putting it in words...

Basically it has something to do with each of the characters' names, which all have animals or nature in them, especially Tsukiko Sagi. 'Tsuki' is moon in Japanese, and we do see a few shots of the moon during the series (one example being straight after her boss dies in the car crash, and Tsukiko sees the monster Shonen Bat, who disappears and you can only see the moon in the sky that was behind him).

In the very last episode she goes back in time and sees her younger self walking her dog Maromi. The girl suddenly gets pains in her stomach area and crouches down, which leads the dog to run away and get hit by a car. The girl kneels over her dead puppy with anger and hatred in her eyes, and says (somebody needs to tell me what it was in the English version) 'It's all [its] fault, [it] came!'. The [it] is 'aitsu' in Japanese, which is a deregotary term for a person or a being. I think there are two meanings for this. One is the Lil' Slugger, and the other is her period. Yes, I know, it sounds bizzare and like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think there's something that's linked with female menstruation and social paranoia.

Ok I'm going now before I blabber on anymore about menstrual blood.
Old 13-02-2006, 02:23 AM   #23   [permalink]
Wolf359

When it comes to anime, Paranoia Agent tops them all.