Old 15-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #1   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Fanservice Redefined

My fellow AB poster dheu once told me I start the most interetsing thread topics

-----------------

I just picked up the latest edition of Anime Insider and there was this article which i thought was rather interesting.

It was an article on fanservice.

Personally, I don't like fanservice in my anime (with a handful of exceptions) and tend to avoid it like the plague.
But the most interesting part I found as that there is a female perception within fanservice. Whilst fanservice generally means dodgy camera angles and tight clothing, it seems it can also mean bishie looking guys having their shirts ripped off and getting it on with each other.

That being said, this article also judged the top five series in the context of both perceptions:

For the men:
1. Ikki Tousen
2. Love Hina
3. Kiddy Garde
4. Nurse Witch Komugi-chan
5. Ai Yori Aoshi

For the Ladies:
1. Gravitation
2. Revolutionary Girl Utena
3. Weiss Kreuz
4. Gundam Wing
5. X

I haven't heard of this new perception before and I must admit this is something of a revelation. Sure I have seen a few ...er....odd moments in Card Captor Sakura and Fruits Basket (two of my personnal favs), but I could never really see what made the anime fans of the feminine perception keen.

But in any case, no amount of additional perceptions will change the universally acknowledged idea of fanservice - The tight clothes and the dodgy camera angles. Oh well.....
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 11:40 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Originally Posted by Spike 558
I just picked up the latest edition of Anime Insider and there was this article which i thought was rather interesting.

It was an article on fanservice.

Personally, I don't like fanservice in my anime (with a handful of exceptions) and tend to avoid it like the plague.
But the most interesting part I found as that there is a female perception within fanservice. Whilst fanservice generally means dodgy camera angles and tight clothing, it seems it can also mean bishie looking guys having their shirts ripped off and getting it on with each other.
Whoo-whoo!

Ummm... Ahem.

Actually, I don't care for fanservice that much either. Typically it's out-of-place and eye-rollingly obvious, and I'd rather have character development and plot over pointless exposure of body parts any day.

Quote:
That being said, this article also judged the top five series in the context of both perceptions:

For the men:
1. Ikki Tousen
2. Love Hina
3. Kiddy Garde
5. Ai Yori Aoshi

For the Ladies:
1. Gravitation
3. Weiss Kreuz
4. Gundam Wing
5. X

I haven't heard of this new perception before and I must admit this is something of a revelation. Sure I have seen a few ...er....odd moments in Card Captor Sakura and Fruits Basket (two of my personnal favs), but I could never really see what made the anime fans of the feminine perception keen.

But in any case, no amount of additional perceptions will change the universally acknowledged idea of fanservice - The tight clothes and the dodgy camera angles. Oh well.....
Hey, we females need our fanservice too. Call me crazy, but the panty-shots and "accidental" breast revealings just don't do it for me like shirtless guys do.

More seriously, talking about the men "getting it on with each other," one of my professors for my Japanese culture classes was fascinated by the popularity of shonen-ai/yaoi in Japanese fangirls, and she spent a good amount of time lecturing on it. Shonen-ai's appeal is mostly, she said, in the fact that it portrays men as sensitive and emotional, whereas in Japanese culture men can be very conservative and emotionally distant from their wives. I'm sure that the same appeal can attract fangirls from any culture, since so many guys worldwide still have this macho image they have to uphold.
Old 20-08-2004, 01:49 AM   #3   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Wonder how graphic the men hitting on each other gets before it's a turn off for the gals. It doesn't take too much action to be a total turn-off for most straight guys.
Old 20-08-2004, 10:07 AM   #4   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

For the men:
1. Ikki Tousen
2. Love Hina
3. Kiddy Garde
5. Ai Yori Aoshi

For the Ladies:
1. Gravitation
3. Weiss Kreuz
4. Gundam Wing
5. X
Are those supposed to be the top 5?

I do remember once talking to a lesbian girl who said she loved watching bishounens and such.Bah,I don't know how girls think,so if they like some types of fan service,good for them.
Old 20-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #5   [permalink]
onop

Send a message via ICQ to onop Send a message via AIM to onop Send a message via MSN to onop Send a message via Yahoo to onop
I don't see how any manga can top LH for fan service, but I think it's good if girls have similar fanservice in manga, because then I wpn't get lectured about it as much by my girl friends. So it's a plus, but also another reason to steer away form shoujo, at least from the straight guy's perspective.

Just tell her to leave my Digi Charat underwear alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, how the mighty have fallen. Nerd.
onop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2004, 11:37 PM   #6   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
For the Ladies:
1. Gravitation
3. Weiss Kreuz
4. Gundam Wing
5. X
I'm sort of suprised to see Utena on that list and Saiyuki no where to be seen .. Saiyuki is angsty bishies a plenty!!, but other then that the list is pretty much expected.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 08:59 AM   #7   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

it can also mean bishie looking guys having their shirts ripped off and getting it on with each other.

For the Ladies:
1. Gravitation
3. Weiss Kreuz
4. Gundam Wing
5. X
Thanks, you've just told me all the anime's to avoid.

I'm surprise Hanaukyo Maids isn't in the mens catagory. That show's nothing but fanservice and at times is borderline hentai.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Fan service doesn't really bother me that much considering the fact that I watch hentai!! But what does bother me is pointless fan-service. Fan-service that's thrown out-there for the hell of it. One fan-service anime I like is Najica. It's done tastefully and isn't thrown out there like Ikkitousen, which falls under pointless fan-service. The point? I like fan-service.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #9   [permalink]
DreamcastDC

Fan service is pretty good if done right
DreamcastDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 10:52 PM   #10   [permalink]
onop

Send a message via ICQ to onop Send a message via AIM to onop Send a message via MSN to onop Send a message via Yahoo to onop
Ace, I don't exactly see what you mean.

All fan service is good fan service!

Old 23-08-2004, 10:53 PM   #11   [permalink]
onop

as long as the characters being victimized by said fan service are girls/women, and not transvestites!

Old 24-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #12   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Well then, they obviously never heard of Najica (Was that the name?) Or Project Akia, it puts these "fan service" animes to shame.

Love Hina's Fan service was like Evangelion's fan service. Non existant.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #13   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Or how about the last episode of Excel Saga? That's about as close as fanservice as you can get without becoming an H anime.
Old 24-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #14   [permalink]
dita chan

Fanservice doesn't really bother too much. I may roll my eyes a bit and I might gasp a little at some things, but I'm not offended by it. I've just come to accept it as part of anime.
dita chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 06:40 PM   #15   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by raynebc
Or how about the last episode of Excel Saga? That's about as close as fanservice as you can get without becoming an H anime.

That was overrated.

You want an series that protrays what you're thinking, watch hanaukyo maids.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote