Old 14-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #1   [permalink]
Devil Cactus

Eye Shield 21

Has anyone else read this? This is really a shining (and still running!) gem in a sea of unappreciated sports titles (you geeky bastards...)... good times! There's got to be at least one other person who likes this on this board besides me.
Old 27-09-2004, 12:31 AM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Yeah. There is. Me. Because you got me addicted to it.

This is an awesome manga, and I'm looking for more. So far, I've been having difficulty finding more than the odd chapter here and there, and there's a full group of chapters I had to skip in the middle because I couldn't find anyone hosting them.

What chapter have they reached in Japan?
Old 28-09-2004, 05:12 PM   #3   [permalink]
Devil Cactus

I don't know the exact chapter in Japan- I keep track by volume, and I believe the last volume was 9, and volume 10 is to be released shortly. Anyway, if you need help finding stuff, go to www.manganews.net for info on that sort of thing. There aren't any downloads there- just links and news. So... yeah!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:41 AM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Hey, that's a great site. Thanks.

Now if only it would be licensed over here!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #5   [permalink]
Devil Cactus

Yeah.. I'm hesitant to say that, because seeing how Viz's latest line of Shonen Jump titles are going, I would definitely not want them licensing Eye Shield 21, due to the foul language that they'd probably take out. And everything else that's good about it.

Actually, I'm just being anal. I just don't want Viz to water it down for their SJ line, which is being aimed at kids right now
Old 15-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #6   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

*revives old thread* It's alive! It's ALIIIIVE!!

Seeing as how this series now has 4 volumes released Stateside, I'm thinking it's a good idea to get some advertisement out there.

Eyeshield 21 is honestly the best sports manga I've read. Why? Because it has Hiruma, which means it has wacky, off-the-wall, manipulative and conniving comedy in it that other sports manga just don't have. It's got its drama too, and action, and the good messages that most sports manga have (such as finding courage in yourself to face your fears, and not giving up even in the face of defeat, etc.) in one form or another. The characters are awesome. But it's first and foremost a comedy... and there aren't many series as hilarious as this. This manga makes me laugh out loud every time I read it, no matter how many times I read it.

I'd really recommend it. Which means, you must go out and hunt it down now.... or else..... *pulls out her Book of Threats*
Old 16-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #7   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
OMG!!! This crazy, because I just started reading Eye Shield 21 about a week ago and I must say that I love reading it!!! Every character isn't annoying which is a first. It's as if I can't wait to read the next chapter to see what happens. Another thing is that I love football, so this sits well with me too.

I've read up to 52 chapters and I must say that the story definately improves with each chapter. Hopefully we'll see Sena become a complete football and gain even more "God-like" speed. He's faster than Shin, but Shin may catch up with him which would be even more interesting.

Yeah, I'm echoing what dheu, this is definately one of the top sports manga out there. The best IMO would be Hajime No Ippo. Definately buy this manga or (download it! ) if you can.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2005, 08:08 AM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Holy SH!T!!! I just found out whom exactly was the kicker for the DAIEMON DEVIL DOGS!! He kick the hell out of that ball!!! It's strange because I would've never envisioned him as a kicker. Here's the spoiler if you're curious:

Spoiler:
It's Takekura Gen, the one whom helps with the construction of the football team's facility. The bearded guy. What's even more crazy is that he's only 17 years old

Last edited by ACE2001; 16-10-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #9   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Because I've been playing Max Devil Power on the Nintendo DS the past few days I've started reading the manga. Oh yes Max Devil Power is a lot of fun, interactive touch screen American football is amazingly fun having to tap the right spots to dodge and rubbing the screen to tackle and what have you.

Anyway I've just finished volume 10 chapter 85 where they are currently doing the death march to Las Vegas, hmm aren't they up to like volume 16 now?

Why are sports mangas just so much fun to read? I enjoyed Slam Dunk! and still enjoying Prince of Tennis and now I can add Eyeshield 21 to the list. I guess it's just easy to get into, and there's always a great cast of characters; main and supporting that you either just love or hate.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #10   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

GOD DAMN!!! Man....I've just started back reading and now I'm up to chapter 124, which ended on A HUGE DAMN CLIFFHANGER!!! I don't know what it is, but I always get excited reading this manga. Jesus...I nearly jumped out of my seat this last chapter!!!

Last edited by ACE2001; 20-04-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #11   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Yeah that Devilbats versus Poseidens match was great, Sena's devil ghost spin technique of his whilst awesome is bordering along the lines of fantasy, though I don't mind, hey if I was bothered by moves like those I'd of given up on Prince of Tennis ages ago.

Introducing Sena's brother out of nowhere is a bet eh, and oh he just happens to be the one who taught Sena how to run and oh he also happens to be on the Cowboys who Devilbats are about to play.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 AM   #12   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the game between the Cowboys and Devilbats. Knowing that Sena's brother taught him how to run makes these a unique match up. But still, there really isn't anyone that can match Sena's speed right now. Especially since he did the "Death March". Now only if the kicker would bring his happy A$$ back, then they will become a complete team.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #13   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

I reckon Sena will have trouble against his brother.

I'm predicting two outcomes:
- Devilbats win and Sena manages to surpass his brother.
OR
- Devilbats win but Sena loses to his brother in skill.

I actually hope for the later, so far Sena has just been beating all his opponents with some pure fluke talent. It would be nice to seem him lose a couple of times on his road to becoming the best runner.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:13 AM   #14   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Pure fluke talent eh?! Actually Sena has lost to his oponnents, it's just that he's been able to adjust his running game at record pace and adjust to his opponents defensive style of play, to where it makes it seems unbeliveable, but most of it is do to the rigorous training that he's been through, especially with the Death March. I would go a limb and say that he's made for football, but we haven't seen him at his true best, so I'm expecting alot more. Especially when (if) he ends up facing Shinn again. Although it seems that Shinn himself has gotten stronger, I don't think he'll be able to catch Sena in terms of speed, pure demon speed.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #15   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Man, has anyone been keeping up with the later chapters? I'm on 196 right now!! Talk about exciting!! Don't know if I should discuss it or not, but in any case, things are definately getting interesting!