Old 14-10-2004, 07:48 PM   #1   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Random Thoughts

Just some observations and ponderings on the way anime is heading at the moment......

Series length:
One thing I've noticed is that various series seem to be getting longer. At the moment, One Piece, Inu-Yasha, Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto are really popular but they are running for a much longer length rather than the usual 26-episodes.
It seems to me that the anime industry is now in a position where the animators are taking risks. In recent years, the industry has made an incredible amount of money (perhaps brought upon by the unholy success of Pokemon) and this, in turn, provides more funding for more series which work free from the restrictions brought from a twenty-six episode series.
However, there are some problems:
Series that run for so long will, inevitably, face problems with quality. Firstly with the plot. It may be hard to maintain a gripping plot over a long space of time but the danger is that things get repititive and, worse, may need to rely on filler.
Secondly, a series may run a long while but this may also mean unusual artwork. Unusal in that it may come out looking dodgy and maybe somewhat strange (incidentally for this reason, it took me a while to warm up to One Piece).
In fact out of Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece and Inu-Yasha, I would have to say that the last one had the best aimation (but hey, when you're dealing with Rumiko Takahashi, you have to have nothing less than the best)
Another problem is the perspective of the buyer: Shelling out so much money for DVD's of a never ending series seems a bit ridiculous - Both in the terms of space and money. If anything, it makes me wonder which series are worth being seen as opposed to being purchased - that being said I can just imagine the fan-subbers are having a field day with the four series mentioned above.

Time:
One thing that has struck me is how quickly the American distributers are to purchase a series. I'm still astonished on how quickly Last Exile came to DVD. Likewise Samurai Champloo was already licensed before the series was/is completed and I hear Funimation has purchased the rights to Samurai 7 (which I'm particularly keen on as I recently saw the first half of the series and was quite impressed).
Again, this shows that the anime industry are keen to take risks. The Samurai Champloo case being a prime example: It's obvious that the US purchased it because of Shinichiro Watanabe's presence - and it certainly would've been interesting had the series turned out to be utter crap.
Obviously, animators are thinking far beyond their homeland and seem to dedicating a stronger concentration on the foriegn market. Indeed, perhaps brought upon by the success of Spirited Away and The Animatrix, it would seem that the anime industry is aware that here is good money to be made on the US. After all, if Japanese audiences don't like it, there's no saying that Amercian audiences would share the same opinions (ie, The Big O) .

I'll leave it on that note.
Bring forth your replies.....
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #2   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Splintr420
I dont really have that much to say, but I do like the length of the series. I don't really care if the plot dies, as long as the series keeps going. I mean, everyone likes closure, but i don't want it to end. Its quite a paradox. Thats why i like Inu-Yasha so much (although it might have ended, no one really seems to know). The length of the longer series allows the viewers to fall in love with the cahracters. Not that it doesn't happen with the 12 or 26 epiode shows, but I love characters such as miroku and sango soooo much better than some of the onegai twins characters (but then again, it wasn't that strong of an anime). You know, it really just depends on if you like things to end. I wish Inu-yasha could go on indefinetly.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Splintr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 02:05 AM   #3   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Strangely enough, I'm the exact opposite, Splintr. Unless a very long anime is still making a point and going somewhere, then I dislike long series. The longer it is, the more I get the feeling that the creator just doesn't know where to take it. I like series that make a point, illustrate the characters and have those characters go through substantial development, and do it without wasting too much time through unimportant filler episodes.

Originally Posted by Spike 558
Series length:
One thing I've noticed is that various series seem to be getting longer.
Weird, because last season I was thinking to myself about how series seem to be getting shorter. There was such a big run of 12- and 13-episode shows that I was beginning to think that the industry just wasn't willing to take a gamble on a series of longer length.

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if the old 26-episode format is dying. Many shows now seem to be either those very long ones (like those you mentioned) and the half-season shows. I guess there are those series that the anime companies assume are 1) so popular in another format (i.e. manga) that they can leech it for all its worth (= long shows), or 2) the other shows that might be iffy in the ratings, so a full season of funding is out of the question (= short series).

Hmmm....

Quote:
Another problem is the perspective of the buyer: Shelling out so much money for DVD's of a never ending series seems a bit ridiculous - Both in the terms of space and money. If anything, it makes me wonder which series are worth being seen as opposed to being purchased - that being said I can just imagine the fan-subbers are having a field day with the four series mentioned above.
That's an important consideration... especially for broke people like me.

All I know is that I'll pass on all of the long series except for Fullmetal Alchemist, which really managed to impress me over the short time I was watching it on the fansub circuit.

Originally Posted by Spike
Time:
One thing that has struck me is how quickly the American distributers are to purchase a series. I'm still astonished on how quickly Last Exile came to DVD. Likewise Samurai Champloo was already licensed before the series was/is completed and I hear Funimation has purchased the rights to Samurai 7 (which I'm particularly keen on as I recently saw the first half of the series and was quite impressed).
Again, this shows that the anime industry are keen to take risks. The Samurai Champloo case being a prime example: It's obvious that the US purchased it because of Shinichiro Watanabe's presence - and it certainly would've been interesting had the series turned out to be utter crap.
Obviously, animators are thinking far beyond their homeland and seem to dedicating a stronger concentration on the foriegn market. Indeed, perhaps brought upon by the success of Spirited Away and The Animatrix, it would seem that the anime industry is aware that here is good money to be made on the US. After all, if Japanese audiences don't like it, there's no saying that Amercian audiences would share the same opinions (ie, The Big O) .
I think it also shows a risk on the part of the US anime companies. They've seen how big of an industry this can be, and they're willing to take a plunge now and then to bring over a series quickly.

It's a good thing. It's nice to be able to get a series less than a year after it was released in Japan. It would be extremely nice if they managed to release it at the same time, but I'm guessing we might be a ways off from that point.

Good comments.

Last edited by dheu; 15-10-2004 at 02:07 AM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 02:39 AM   #4   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

One thing I've noticed is that various series seem to be getting longer. At the moment, One Piece, Inu-Yasha, Full Metal Alchemist and Naruto are really popular but they are running for a much longer length rather than the usual 26-episodes.

You need to know that One Piece, Naruto & Inuyasha are based on VERY successful mangas and Full Metal Alchemist has the Square-Enix (Dragon Quest & Final Fanstasy are the biggest RPG series in Japan in that order) machine behind it with two videogames and a manga series. It's not exactly a big risk to animate them after knowing that.

Like dhue said I think the trend is more towards 13 episode series and not longer ones. The Gundam series are the only franchise to consistantly have series around 52 episodes in lenght. And with Seed selling over 1.6 million dvd's in japan it is very popular and the first episode of the new series is the highest rating episode for a gundam series in the last 15 years I've read.

In fact out of Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, One Piece and Inu-Yasha, I would have to say that the last one had the best aimation (but hey, when you're dealing with Rumiko Takahashi, you have to have nothing less than the best)

Studio Bones Full Metal Alchemist has better animation than Studio Sunrise's Inuyasha hands down. I take it you haven't seen much of FMA have you?

As for Samurai Champloo the network showing it in Japan has dropped it from telecast after episode 17 due to poor ratings.

Of course Mobile Suit Gundam was dropped due to poor ratings and looked what it's spawned....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 02:53 AM   #5   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

Yeah, the only reason InuYasha, One Piece, and Naruto are so long is because they are based on successful Manga series that are equally long.

Of InuYasha's 167 episodes, around 135 or so were all adaptations of the manga stories by Takahashi. The rest was filler, but still.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 06:35 AM   #6   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

I like filler! It makes it longer. Although Ranma 1/2 was basically all filler or random adaptions from the manga. Its really weird to read and watch it. So backwards.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 15-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #7   [permalink]
ssjvlad

id have to agree with dheu on the fact that series are getting shorter, as he said there were a lot of 12 to 13 ep series run recently. the only reason you notice these long series, is well, becuase they are long, if u look at when they were originaly aired the air dates are with about a year or so of each other. Well as long as the series keeps interesting it really doesnt matter how long it is.FMA came out pretty well,didnt really see any flaws with the storyline,One Piece is keeping me amused with all of Luffy wackiness,Naruto is just another DBZ, and as for Inuyasha, i hope it would just end it already, they already beaten the storyline to death.

as for the anime industries taking risks,id have to agree with you there, some anime are getting prelicenced, in other words licenced before they even air, and id say thats a prety risky step.
ssjvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #8   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

awwwww comeon. inuyasha is great! no one should want it to end. and if prelicienceing causes problems for all the anime fans out there, it'll be a biiiig problem and people will get pissed.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 15-10-2004, 05:00 PM   #9   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I think the problem is polls and magazines.As the anime industry is getting more recognized,it's getting changed so as to make more money.You have editors pushing authors to keep series going.
Old 16-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #10   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
The only reason those anime run for longer is because, as was stated, they have long-running manga to draw story material from.

Original anime series almost never go over the normal 26 episode limit... and in fact, more of them are dwindling down to the 13 episode cap.

Dying is so damn expensive, I don't think I can afford it.

Founder and Executive Council member of the Bebop Mafia. Alias: Crimson Tears.
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 12:34 AM   #11   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

13 is way to short! you don't have enough time to really develop all the aspects of the characters, nor do you fall in love with them as much. 12+1 is too short, they need to be longer! probably th3 50-60 range is the best.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 17-10-2004, 01:08 AM   #12   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Originally Posted by Splintr420
13 is way to short! you don't have enough time to really develop all the aspects of the characters, nor do you fall in love with them as much. 12+1 is too short, they need to be longer! probably th3 50-60 range is the best.
I can't agree with you there, some anime series that run for 13 episodes are just fine as they are eg. Gravitation which was one of the better romantic comedies I've seen even though it was a shounen-ai, DNA^2 which ran for 15 episodes but the last 3 episodes were 'specials' which were somewhat pointless but other then that another fine series and Burn Up Excess .. 13 episodes of that is enough for me.

Episode length really depends on the series. FLCL is fine with the 6 episodes and I don't think anyone could handle 50+ odd episodes of Excel Saga.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 02:34 AM   #13   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

A great director can do more with his cast and story in 13 episodes than an average one can in 52.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #14   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Quote:
Just some observations and ponderings on the way anime is heading at the moment......

Series length:
a couple of nitpicks, you use the term, at the moment, however, all but one of your examples premiered 2-5 years ago (One Piece ~1999, Inu Yasha ~2000, Naruto ~2002). They're still airing right now (with Inu Yasha ending), but the examples you used do not really represent "at the moment" anime. Try and use more recent anime to back up your observation, as I noticed as well that anime series' are running shorter and shorter, such as Mai Hime, which I wish was 26 eps, but will only run for 13.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 06:43 PM   #15   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by DarkPrimus
The only reason those anime run for longer is because, as was stated, they have long-running manga to draw story material from.
And who do you think pushes the authors to many so much manga?

I don't like when an anime goes for 30+ episode.The characters are wasting their time,having to do all sorts of things except what they set out to do in episode 1.Take inu Yasha.Every damn village they stop in has it's own resident demon to slay.

The perfect serie number is 26.You get a good story,a couple of episode to go deeper into some character's individual stories and enough time to do a good ending.