Old 18-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #16   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Well, I can't say I'm disappointed with the replies to this thread.

Originally Posted by Splintr420
I dont really have that much to say, but I do like the length of the series. I don't really care if the plot dies, as long as the series keeps going. I mean, everyone likes closure, but i don't want it to end. Its quite a paradox.
Maybe you should watch Sazae-san
And in case anyone's curious, Sazae-san is the longest running anime ever. It's been running since 1969 and still going strong.
But Sazae-san really shows no signs of slowing down or having it's popularity waning: As long as there are people who are still keen to animate it and there are legions of VA's willing to do the voices, the show will keep going and going.

Originally Posted by dheu
Weird, because last season I was thinking to myself about how series seem to be getting shorter. There was such a big run of 12- and 13-episode shows that I was beginning to think that the industry just wasn't willing to take a gamble on a series of longer length.

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if the old 26-episode format is dying. Many shows now seem to be either those very long ones (like those you mentioned) and the half-season shows. I guess there are those series that the anime companies assume are 1) so popular in another format (i.e. manga) that they can leech it for all its worth (= long shows), or 2) the other shows that might be iffy in the ratings, so a full season of funding is out of the question (= short series).
What I find particuarly interesting is that there seems to be a balance: I mean, you can have a short running series with great artwork (ie, Haibane Renmei) or you can have a long running series with cheap-looking artwork (ie One Piece).

Still, I do find it impressive on how certain anime can establish so much in a short space of time (Voices from a Distant Star for example)

And on that note....

Originally Posted by Westlo
A great director can do more with his cast and story in 13 episodes than an average one can in 52.
Couldn't have put it better myself

Originally Posted by Robotech Master
Yeah, the only reason InuYasha, One Piece, and Naruto are so long is because they are based on successful Manga series that are equally long.

Of InuYasha's 167 episodes, around 135 or so were all adaptations of the manga stories by Takahashi. The rest was filler, but still.
Again, this shows that the anime industry has had so much success that it is willing to take risks. Obviously, the anime creators are staying true to the manga - And considering that countless numerous manga-based anime have inspired fans of the source material to deem the anime as rubbish, these developments are certinly refreshing.
But I'm not holding my breath just yet as to the days of great-manga-inspiring-crap-anime have ended.....

Originally Posted by Fatal Outlaw
a couple of nitpicks, you use the term, at the moment, however, all but one of your examples premiered 2-5 years ago (One Piece ~1999, Inu Yasha ~2000, Naruto ~2002). They're still airing right now (with Inu Yasha ending), but the examples you used do not really represent "at the moment" anime. Try and use more recent anime to back up your observation, as I noticed as well that anime series' are running shorter and shorter, such as Mai Hime, which I wish was 26 eps, but will only run for 13.
I was only using those series as a comparison because they all seem to be rather popular in the US at the moment. And in that sense, when they started seems irrelevent.
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 09:12 PM   #17   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Splintr420
Originally Posted by Spike 558
Maybe you should watch Sazae-san
And in case anyone's curious, Sazae-san is the longest running anime ever. It's been running since 1969 and still going strong.
But Sazae-san really shows no signs of slowing down or having it's popularity waning: As long as there are people who are still keen to animate it and there are legions of VA's willing to do the voices, the show will keep going and going.
oh my f*%king god. what is it about? How many episodes are there? I bet the animation today looks much different from that almost 40 years ago. Thats quite a feat.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Splintr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 11:44 PM   #18   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Originally Posted by Spike 558
I was only using those series as a comparison because they all seem to be rather popular in the US at the moment. And in that sense, when they started seems irrelevent.
I put in the factor of time becuase, adding in the context of the second part of your original post (where you talk about really really new anime like champloo and S7), I just deduced that you're talking about anime airing in japan right now (and not in continous season like Naruto and OP), in which case, I would have used examples like Beet the Vandel Buster and Bleach (which I heard will run for more than 26 episodes).
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote