Old 24-02-2005, 04:18 AM   #31   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Minami-ke

More teh funnay from the manga that brought you Today in Class 5-2.

Minami-ke by Sakuraba Coharu

A simple, "slice-of-life"-esque, comedic manga revolving around the three Minami sisters: Haruka, the oldest, Kana, the middle child, and Chiaki, the youngest.

As noted, it's by the mangaka that did Today in Class 5-2, and so far, the humor seems similiar. I'd just chalk this one up as "If you liked Azumanga Daioh.... as I did with the other one.

Of course, this is only based on two very short chapters. Yep, just like in 5-2, the chapters are short. And, this one has just recently begun being scanslated, and therefore only those two short chapters have been released.

This was co-done by Jinmen Juushin & We, the Fans.
Old 26-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #32   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Started Miname-Ke, quite enjoy this as I liked Today in Class 5-2 and Azumanga Diaoh. I hope this will series will span longer then one volume ala Today in Class 5-2.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 12:34 AM   #33   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Dengeki Love Machine

Yea, definitely. Sakuraba's style of humor, though not necessarily unique, has a nice mix of styles (and randomness) that warrants more then a volumes worth of manga. Plus, Sakuraba's characters are cute and fun... something that would be pretty interesting were it more fleshed out. (That's refering more to Today in Class 5-2 though I'd expect similiar interesting characters out of those in Minami-ke).

EDIT: Hmm, I'll throw something in for the hell of it cuz I just finished it.

Dengeki Love Machine by Hayakawa Tomoko

Genre: Shoujo, Romance, Comedy

No synopsis. Why? Cuz you don't deserve one! Haha, no, not really. It's because this is a short volume of one-shots, meaning, each chapter is it's own story. I liked all the stories in this one, which is not common when I read one-shot manga series' as this one. Anywhoo, that's that.

The only volume has been completed by ShoujoMagic.

EDIT2: "one-shot manga series'"... what the hell is that? This ain't an anthology, cuz I view anthologies as compilations with different mangakas... um.. what to call this..... geh, screw it.

Last edited by oppa; 27-02-2005 at 12:42 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #34   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

MPD Psycho

Whoo, been a while. Was hoping there'd be some others who'd post during this time I hadn't, but alas, I had hoped too much.

I checked out the first volumes of both Priest and Nausicaa. Both were very good and I will definitely get some more copies down the road (finances are rather tight lately). Kudos for the solid recommendations from TeldakSS and Project Akira, respectively.

Now for something very grisly... I had started this a couple years back, but put it off and kinda sorta forgot about it until recently. I slap myself for doing so, because it's been a solid read.

MPD Psycho written by Eiji Otsuka & drawn by Sho-u Tajima

Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Horror, Mature: EXTREME Graphic Violence, Nudity

Taken from Omanga's website:
"A detective with multiple personalities and a dark past struggles to find out who he is while solving cases and unraveling more threads of his past"

I didn't write up my own synopsis because, well, for something like this, I'd be REALLY long-winded. The concept of multiple personalities has always intrigued me, since I've always been interested in human psychology. The way it has been portrayed here was what initially hooked me.

The first 5 or so volumes is like a series of detective stories with a dark main story floating in the background. Eventually, the main story starts to kick in hardcore, and well, it's hasn't been as fun of a ride. The storytelling is still well done, but some parts of the plot don't flow as well as the earlier volumes.

Nonetheless, I have been enjoying this and I breezed through eight volumes in one sitting, so that accounts for something. Once again, I slap myself for having put this off.

Ten volumes have been scanslated jointly by The Hawks and Omanga. I think I'll give my brain a break and finish the last two tomorrow, hehe.

Just before hitting the "submit reply" button, I did a quick search and noticed there had been a thread about this manga. The link is right here. Regardless, I'll keep this one in this thread since it still doesn't seem to have gotten much notice.

Last edited by oppa; 14-03-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 22-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #35   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Nana

Note: I decided to write up about this one a few days ago (after I had caught up to what's out) and just now, I randomly find out that it's been licensed. Oh well, I'll throw it in here anyway. Also, this one has been sparsely mentioned in this forum (mainly just by snowcherry, really), but, even though I'm quite late to it, it feels deserving enough to be here.

Nana by Yazawa Ai

Genre: Shoujo, Drama, Romance, Comedy, Mature: Mild Nudity (very mild)

Komatsu Nana and Oosaki Nana have absolutely nothing in common, except for their first names. Komatsu is very open, energetic, outgoing, and talkative. Oosaki is musically gifted, and has a cool, laid-back attitude about her. The Nana's may as well be oil and water. Two girls with completely different personalities from very different pasts will fatefully encounter each other, and end up beginning a future together that neither would have ever imagined.

This was the second manga I've read from Yazawa Ai. The first being Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai. I hadn't realized it was by Yazawa until after a few volumes, when I finally started noticing a similiarity in the style of humor used. Seeing as how I am thoroughly enjoying TNJN, it's no surprise that I've been enjoying this one (as well as the third one I've recently started by Yazawa entitled Gokinjo Monogatari). Yoshizumi Wataru had been the only shoujo mangaka that I've enjoyed all the works of until now. I've yet to be disappointed in Yazawa Ai's works (though it's only been those three I've read).

Anyway, back to this manga. The dramatic, yet lighthearted tone of the manga is incredible. The story, and especially the monologues, really draw me in, but it doesn't overdo it to the degree of them other angsty mangas. That is definitely a huge plus for me. The stories that open up for these two very lovable girls, and the not-so-predictable twists that occur, really kept me from sleeping early, as I had planned, the night I marathoned this.

As previously mentioned, Nana has been licenced by Viz and will premier in April (I believe), along with a few other shoujo titles, in the upcoming Shoujo Beat anthology. The promotional one-year subscription wasn't that expensive so I signed up for this one for at least a year. If it starts off as well as Shounen Jump did in it's first year, it should be worth it.
Old 25-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #36   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Glad you liked Nausicaa. It's honestly become one of my favorite comics of all time after reading it and I'm more than happy to suggest it to people.

Might I also suggest that you look into Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix? It's a really interesting work from Osamu Tezuka, the god of manga, that I think are representative of interesting ways to present words, pictures, and iconography in comics.

Last edited by Project Akira; 25-03-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #37   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Alive

Nothing new lately, so I re-read this one the other day, and decided to throw it in here.

Alive by Tsutomu Takahashi

Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Drama, Mature: Mild Nudity, Violence

Yashiro Tenshuu is on death row, and on the day of his execution, he is presented with a way out. But, is this path really better then death?

I had mixed feelings about this one when I read it way back when, but after re-reading it, I can understand it better. The strange twist to Yashiro's reason for his stay of execution superceded what I felt was the real trial he was going through.

Ooooh, I wanna say more, but I can't. I actually wrote down a couple paragraphs of what I felt, but of course, I deleted it because I don't want spoilers in this thread, even if it is marked. Anyway, by chance, if someone still remembers reading this, or someone decides to read it now, maybe I'll start up a small thread about it. It really is interesting though, how a more objective reading made me view this manga in a completely different light.

This is only one volume and has long since been completed jointly by Snoopy Cool and Omanga.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #38   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Wow, it's been two months. Amazing. I haven't read anything new in that time. Well, a couple things but most not worth mentioning. Actually, in the past two months, I haven't read much manga, period. Only the one's I've really enjoyed, have I kept up with. So, what's this post for? I'm glad you asked!

I just started this one today. I randomly picked a new one to download, off a very complicated list I created through a system that I took WAY too much time making. Anyway, it's a decent read, and thought, hey, why not post it here? If I don't, no one else will! (Post here, that is... not post this exact manga... though that wouldn't happen either... hrm, nevermind. Just move along now.)

Beauty Pop by Kiyoko Arai

Genre: Shoujo, Comedy, Romance (?)

Synopsis stolen from Dragonvoice's website:
"This is a funny story of 3 boys, a hairstylist, a nail artist and someone responsible for the overall balance. They are the make-over team in school and they select a girl who they will transform into a beauty. Naturally they are popular, but does it really give them the right to pass judgment around as they do? Well there seems to be an anonymous hairstylist with rivaling talent around who doesn't share their opinions and offers help to whoever needs it..."

Sorry, too lazy for my own. That's the jist of it. This being another shoujo is purely coincidental. I had a very thorough list of titles I randomly chose from, and most of it was NOT shoujo. Maybe it's a sign.

Anyway, this one has been a fun read so far. I like the comedy, and I like the main character, Kiri. She's very different from the typical shoujo heroine, and that's why I like her. It's really the only reason I'm still reading this one. The subject matter is so-so, the three boys are so-so, and the overal story/plot is so-so. BUT, as I mentioned, the comedy is good and Kiri is great. Therefore, I'll keep following.

I gave "romance" a question mark because, well, I assume this will be a romantic comedy but there hasn't been any romantic elements yet, so that's why the "?" is there. Why?

Because only the first volume has been released by Dragonvoice.

Last edited by oppa; 12-06-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 20-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #39   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Ai Yori Aoshi

Wow. Over 4000 views with a measly 37 posts (38 after this one). I suppose at least two or three hundred of those views are from me, hehe.

Anyway, since I've gotten back into manga/anime, I figure, why not update this one?

Ai Yori Aoshi by Fumizuki Kou

Genre: Shounen, Romance, Comedy, Ecchi, Mature: Nudity

Synopsis stolen from the back cover of Ai Yori Aoshi Volume 01:
"Just as Kaoru Hanabishi resings himself to going through his college years alone, he runs into the childhood sweetheart he hasn't seen since leaving home. Her name is Aoi Sakuraba and she has come to be his wife."

Call me lazy, but that synopsis is as consise yet to the point as can be written.

I've been buying manga lately (more then usual) and I picked this one up about a month back. I've watched the anime, but since it's been a while, I wanted to check out the AYA story again, but this time via manga.

I've gone through the first 5 volumes and I must say, it's been quite refreshing. Yeah yeah, it's a harem story, but unlike your typical "guy trying to get the girl" main character, this time around he's already hooked up with her from the start. Also, the pace and the stories in AYA are very laid back. I could even call it a slice-of-life shounen romance comedy. Very low angst level, mild drama, fun characters, good comedy, and plenty of ecchiness. Waaaay more then I expected. Plus, the MC has an ominous past which allows for plenty of drama in the future.

It's a refreshing change to the typical shounen romance comedies and I'm definitely liking it. I enjoyed the anime (sans the weak Enishi sequel), but I'm enjoying the manga even more. Hell, after I finish up my forum whoring here at AB, I think I'll go order the next few volumes, hehehe.

Mini-plug! Justmanga.com is a damn good site.

Thus far, 11 volumes have been published by Tokyopop.

Last edited by oppa; 13-02-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 13-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #40   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Hunter X Hunter

I only found a teeny-tiny thread about this one so, since I've begun collecting the official NA releases, I'd try to garner more interest in it in this thread.

Hunter X Hunter by Yoshihiro Togashi

Genre: Shounen, Action, Comedy, Mature: Violence

Gon is your relatively energetic kid. He would've just lived out the rest of his life peacefully on Whale Island with his Aunt Mito if it wasn't for an encounter with a Hunter. Not just any Hunter, but one that knew about Gon's father. This fateful meeting thrusts Gon into the world of Hunters, something his Aunt Mito kept him clueless about. The manga begins as he sets out on a quest to find his father, but before all that, he must become a Hunter. What is a Hunter anyway? Follow Gon as he slowly finds many answers to that same question.

Hmm, that was half a synopsis and half a plug to make you read this manga, hehe. I've been a longtime HxH fan, and as I said, my recent decision to start picking up this manga has re-sparked my interest in it. Besides DBZ, HxH was my first experience into this aspect of shounen (action/comedy) and it is still one of my fave shounen series' (One Piece would be my other). I love the deep storylines in HxH and most of all, I love the characters, and I'm not just refering to the "good guys." The many villians in HxH are also portrayed with deep personalities and back stories. Some are so personified that you even feel sad or sorry for them, even though they are as evil as can be.

Hopefully this will spark some more interest. This is a series I highly recommend to any shounen fan, and it is now more accessible since it's being released in NA.

As of now, six volumes have been released by Viz.

Last edited by oppa; 13-02-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 23-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #41   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Sorry! Nothing new!

Due to intense boredom, I was reading through all sorts of threads here on AB and went through this one as well. I noticed several titles are now licensed. Seeing as how I *am* bored, I thought I'd update the one's that are licensed.

Yotsubato! - ADV (as Yotsuba&!)
Beck - Tokyopop
School Rumble - Del Ray
Midori no Hibi - Viz (as Midori's Days)
Aishiteruze Baby - Viz
Ichigo Mashimaro - Tokyopop (as Strawberry Marshmallow)
Beauty Pop - Viz (Unconfirmed)

//rant on//
I'd like to note that I firmly believe in supporting what I can, especially if I enjoy them. I own all released volumes of Yotsubato! (3) , all released volumes of Midori no Hibi (4), the recently released 1st volume of School Rumble, and have the 1st volume of Aishiteruze Baby on pre-order. I plan on getting both Ichigo Mashimaro and Beauty Pop once they get released.

For previously licensed titles in this thread, I own all released volumes of NANA (2), all released volumes of Ai Yori Aoshi (12), and the first 2 volumes of Hunter X Hunter.

I also own many titles not listed in this thread.

My point? Every one of the titles listed above, except for the last two, were purchased solely because I read the scanslated manga. YES. It was scanslations that allowed me to enjoy these and also what caused me to buy them.

I have nothing against scanslations. In fact, I love them. I will admit I still read one's that get licensed. However, I will purchase the majority of those that I read once it's released. Obviously, I'll only read titles I enjoy so purchasing them makes sense.

Go support the manga you like! If it's licensed, go buy it!
//rant off//

I'll step off my soapbox now.
Old 17-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #42   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Sumire 16

Shameless bump but since my other thread is gettin' no love (as of this post, 112 views but no replies!), I'll continue this should-be-long-dead-but-I'll-use-it-for-my-own-purposes-as-I-have-been thread.

Sumire 16 by NAGAYOSHI Takeru

Genre: Shounen, Comedy

Sumire is an energetic 16 year old High School girl with above average morals. She has a somewhat strong sense of justice and isn't afraid to overstep any bounds to make things "right." But for the most part, she's a normal girl who slowly befriends her share of friends and this is a story about her High School life.

Oh, did I forget to mention that she's a life-sized puppet who is controlled by a middle-aged male ventriloquist and due to the Principal of this High School, "she" is allowed to attend just as any other normal student?

I should've left that last part out and made ya'll go check this ---- out, hahaha.

I'm serious. It's exactly as you read it. Sumire is not human and both "her" and her master, the old man ventriloquist, attend this High School. He throws his voice and acts Sumire as a normal girl and interacts with anyone as if Sumire was... yes, a normal girl. Of course, the world around "her" is not make-believe and thus, hilarity ensues.

A lot.

A LOT.

I laughed out loud more during this manga than many other comedy mangas; more than ones I'd consider extremely great and maybe even more than ones I'd stick in my virtual top ten list. Yet, this one would not be something I'd consider "great," it's just friggin' hilarious. You have to be open-minded while reading. The comedy isn't crude or abstract or slapstick, it's relatively normal... its just that it involves a puppet... often... OK, it's sometimes crude but seriously, I'd still consider it normal humor.

I had to share this one cuz it's been far too long since I've laughed so much while reading manga.

26 chapters have been scanslated by an unknown source. A special chapter has also been done by hobo1.

I have absolutely no idea what chapters are in what volume or if chapter 26 is even the last chapter of volume 2 (which is supposedly the end of the series). It definitely doesn't feel like the last story but given how low this manga is on anyone's radar, I doubt I'll ever find out unless I get back to learning Japanese (which has been uuuuuuber slow cuz the only time I don't procrastinate is when I actively try to procrastinate).

EDIT: Scratch that. Ch. 26 was the last chapter of volume 2 (it was written plain as day on the last page... way to put my pseudo-Japanese to some use). The last page also mentions for people to check out the special when it comes out... so... that really was it. I can assume it was simply canceled for some reason.

Drat.

Last edited by oppa; 18-10-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 24-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #43   [permalink]
eatpork

Cannon God eXaXXion.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #44   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by oppa
This one isn't very new, but I recently got into it since it's anime counterpart recently began showing.

Beck by Harold Sakuishi

Genre: Shounen, Music, Comedy, Drama, Mature - Mild Nudity

This story revolves around Tanaka "Koyuki" Yukio. He's your average, normal, unknown, bland 14 year old middle school kid. He has no drive, no aspirations.. basically no goals.

That is, until he is reunited with an elementary school friend, Ishiguro Izumi. One day, they go out and Izumi has Koyuki listen to a song from one of her favorite bands, a very popular rock group named Dying Breed. The events that unfold after this moment change Koyuki's life in ways he never imagined.

When I watched this anime, I instantly got into it. The laid back pace, along with hitting all the important points without dawdling around made it quite the interesting watch. But, the manga still managed to impress me, even after watching 3 eps of the anime.

As the series goes on, it's quite apparent that Sakuishi either enjoys American rock, or has done alot of research because there are MANY references to American rock throughout the series.. references from the 60s to almost the present. I'm a huge fan of 60's and 90's rock, so I suppose I had a bit of a bias towards this manga.

The story is basically a "rise to fame" story. Many of the hardships for bands in the music world, though somewhat exaggerated, are displayed in this manga. The humor is great too. Especially the scenes that involve Saitou-san (pwahaha, I still laugh when I think about it).

So far, 19 volumes have been scanslated by Mangascreener.
I second the recommendation for Beck. I'm a huge rock geek so it appeals to me on that level. I also love how there is an actual buildup for this band's creation and the fact that the main character actually isn't very good at the beginning. There is a real charm to this series and you're really rooting for Koyuki to just hit it big. I've not read a lot of manga in awhile but this one makes me smile.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #45   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Ditto on the Nausicaa manga. Simply exquisite.

Akira manga anyone? It was even better than the movie in my opinion.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote