Old 29-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #1   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Samurai Champloo Vs. Samurai 7

Seeing as AB has been rather quiet of late, I thought I might post this and see how many (more) people I infuriate with it.

Lately, I've been watching the (relatively new) series Samurai 7 and I think it's a great series. Whilst I have the source material (The Seven Samurai) on DVD, I am still enjoying the anime without any regard whatsoever to the original. I don't want to draw any comparisons because I reckon Samurai 7 should stand on it's own two feet. And as such, my enjoyment of the series is better for it.
Unfortunately, some people don't share similiar ideals. The majority of people who have voiced their opinions of Samurai 7 seem all too keen to put the boot in. Their opinions all nod towards the fact that the original movie was better. As such, these comments range from "Kurosawa is spinning in his grave" to "This series is a slap in the face"
The funny part is that a lot of these people never seemed to have got past the first ep.

Yet it's also interesting to note that Samurai 7 arrived at the same time as another samurai series: Samurai Champloo.

Whilst I've enjoyed what I've seen of Samurai Champloo, I must admit it was also infuriating that the first half didn't really go anywhere and Fuu got too much screentime when compared to Jin and Mugen.
Still, when everyone wants to diss Samurai 7 without hesitation, no one has the balls to say a bad thing about Champloo. Interesting, when one considers the former is more 'Japanese' of the two. The fact that Samurai 7 is based on a Japnese film and possess strong samurai themes, indicates that it has the foundations built more on Japanese culture. But on the other hand, perhaps it is an American perception that something of their invention (hip-hop music) is presented in a foriegn context that makes Champloo so popular.

From a personal perspective, I have doubts as to whether my liking for Samurai 7 makes me no better then the many people who think Samurai Champloo is the best series ever made - obviously, the SC fans got more out of it than I did but who, in this situation, is the sheep?

I'll leave on that note.
Flame away, my soon-to-be-former friends
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side

Last edited by Spike 558; 29-11-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 10:27 PM   #2   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Well I can give you all the Samurai Champloo bashing you want.The serie started great but quickly became stale.

Step 1:Fuu gets involved with a strange man

Step 2:Lots of bad guys get involved for some reason

Step 3:Jin and Mugen kicks their butts

Step 4:We get a tenth of a clue who that damned flower samurai is

Rince and repeat

Also I don't like when some characters are mighty and undefeatable.Maybe some people can a kick a seeing their heroes vanquish the villains without breaking a sweat,but I like to see them struggle a bit.

On that I found Samurai 7 really nice.It seems my not having seen the movie helps enjoy more wich is all the better.

Here lots of characters are struggling.Katsushiro had to deal with the blood on his hands,Kambei has to deal with his past failures,the innocent fun-loving Heihachi turned out to be cold-hearted when he wants to and Kikuchiyo his dealing with his own farmer's past.Not to mention all the farmers who are facing the Nobuseris for the first time.

I also like Dark and mysterious characters like Kyuzou.The only reproach i have for this anime is that Katsushiro is too much of a wuss.I hope he gets some attitude before the end
Old 23-12-2004, 07:55 PM   #3   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
Here's something to think about:

- Samurai Champloo is an anime based around a US invention: the music style of hip-hop
- Samurai 7 is an anime based around a Japanese invention: the movie Seven Samurai
- A lot of US viewers are bagging Samurai 7 but are all too keen to say what a great anime Samurai Champloo is
- Samurai Champloo was pulled off Japanese TV due to low ratings

Talk about a difference in taste on both sides of the Pacific
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side

Last edited by Spike 558; 23-12-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 11:01 AM   #4   [permalink]
MerleFan

Quote:
Samurai Champloo was pulled off Japanese TV due to low ratings
Wow, that is crazy
MerleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #5   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

So was gundam and thats the most popular mecha series period in japan, zetas ratings doubled evangelions.....

SC second season (17-26 really) starts again in a few weeks

I love hiphop and I listen to all forms but my fav SC ep is ep 11 which has nothing to do with hiphop........ oh wait it's got hookers and hiphops typecast as being all about money bitches and hoes so that means its based on it for sure
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote