Old 09-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #16   [permalink]
cryptic soul

Send a message via AIM to cryptic soul
can anyone think of a few popular animes that actually show a main character where both of his/her parents are alive and living in the same house as that character?
i'm sure there has to be a few, but i can't think any at the moment.
cryptic soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:06 PM   #17   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Marmalade Boy actually has four parents in the same house

The main male character in Rizelmine lives with his two parents.

The main character in Onegai Teacher lived with his parents before moving in with his teacher.

The main male character in Aisiteru ze Baby lives with his parents,his grandparents and his big sister
Old 09-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #18   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Splintr420
Inuyasha. Kagome has two parents. Well one is her mother, the other is her grandfather. So she has two parent figures.

In Onegai teacher, Kei lives with his aunt and uncle, not parents

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Splintr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:11 PM   #19   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
There are two I can think of
Supergals! Kotobuki Ran
Gankatsuo
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:14 PM   #20   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Splintr420
Inuyasha. Kagome has two parents. Well one is her mother, the other is her grandfather. So she has two parent figures.

In Onegai teacher, Kei lives with his aunt and uncle, not parents
I don't think these two counts, cause they are not the parents specifically, their gaurdians.
Old 13-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #21   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Originally Posted by Darklightz
Marmalade Boy actually has four parents in the same house
Ooh! That's a good one. Kinky parents. ^_^

* Mr. Totoro also has parents, although one is in the hospital.
* Tenchi Muyo has a father, dead mother (a common element) and a "grandfather". GXP also has parents.
* Ranma 1/2 has parents, totally absurd, but they are parents.
* Maison Ikkoku has parents
* Love Hina has parents
Old 13-12-2004, 10:31 PM   #22   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

hmmm well Last Exile deals with the loss of parents, if you haven't seen it yet. That'd be an interesting project though. The effect the lack of parents have on the main character(s) and what age group that manga/anime targets.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 14-12-2004, 03:27 AM   #23   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Originally Posted by iwakura
Ooh! That's a good one. Kinky parents. ^_^

* Mr. Totoro also has parents, although one is in the hospital.
* Tenchi Muyo has a father, dead mother (a common element) and a "grandfather". GXP also has parents.
* Ranma 1/2 has parents, totally absurd, but they are parents.
* Maison Ikkoku has parents
* Love Hina has parents
The whole point of this post is to bring up the issue if there are both parents alive or not, one of them is seen in a lot of animes.
Which one of them has parents in Love Hina? I don't remember ever seeing their parents around.
Old 14-12-2004, 04:44 AM   #24   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

hmmm ... Does Flame of Recca count?

Parents (real and foster) play an important role in the show ...

His real parents set the stage ... then Recca is "adopted into the Hanabishi family (father only) mother died ... Lives with foster dad ...

Real father turns out to be the 8th dragon ... and his real mom is one of the main characters ...

Cat Girl NukuNuku ... son lives with brilliant but eccentric dad ... while mom runs a megacorporation (important secondary character) ... lots of parental interaction.

Tenchi Muyo ... Tenchi lives with dad and granddad ...

Princess 9 ... Star pitcher girl lives with mom (dad died)

Speed Racer ....

Princess Knight ...
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 05:18 AM   #25   [permalink]
Shadowbard
Executive Member

Actually, this particular phenomenon is not unique to anime/manga. It happens in nearly every form of literature. The rarity occurs when both parents are present and an active part of the main character's life. Why is this?

Well, for the simple reason that reading about and/or watching contented, happy people live contented, happy lives is freaking boring!! You don't have a story unless someone is in some form of pain, and one of the quickest ways to give a kid pain is to kill one or both of their parents. For those characters that start out their stories as orphans, you kill one or both of their guardians/parental figures. Well, technically you don't have to kill the parental figure(s), but that's the easiest way to remove them from the picture.

Would Peter Parker have become Spiderman if Uncle Ben hadn't died? Probably not. He may have done the wrestling thing for a while, but then he most likely would have just gone about his life hiding his super powers and trying to fit in.

Would Luke Skywalker have gone off to fight the Empire if his aunt and uncle hadn't been killed by Stormtroopers? Almost definitely not; the Empire was far away and didn't really affect them on Tatooine.

Would Arthur have become king if his father had still been alive and he'd been raised at court? Again, probably not. At the very least, he wouldn't have been the king of legends that he is today.

As you can see from these three non-anime examples, parents and guardians dying isn't exactly a rare occurance. The fact of the matter is, it's easier to tell a story with interesting characters if those characters are freed to do things with their lives. Parents generally restrict that behavior until the children are older. And remember, the Orphan is one of the heroic archtypes.

Now, for a few examples of series that do have both parents of one or more of the main characters present and active in their children's lives....

D.N. Angel - While Daisuke's father is not there for the beginning part of the series, he shows up later on and plays an active role. Daisuke's mother is always there.

Kare Kano - Yukino's parents are both alive and well, and they are quite active in her life. Even to the point of driving her nuts at times.

Alice 19th - While still only a manga, Alice's parents are active in her life and care for and worry about her.

The Queen's Knight - Another manga example. The main character's mother is not living at home (she's studying in Germany), but still plays an active and important role in her daughter's life. In fact, the mother is the catalyst for the story. Her father is very active in the home, though her brother's (she has three of them, all older) pick up the slack in many areas.

Nurse Angel Ririka SOS - Ririka's parents are both active in her life and, though they don't know their daughter is a magical girl, are supportive of her interests and actions.

Hana-Kimi - Yet another manga example. The only reason Mizuki's parents don't play a greater role in her life at the moment is because she's going to school in Japan while her parents live in America.

I could go on with other examples, but as you can see, there are series where both parents are still alive. It's much more common for at least one of the parents to be absent from the main character's life, however. And remember, this happens in all literature.

~Shadrach Anki

| Grove | Bardic Musings |
Shadowbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 07:16 AM   #26   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

In Sensei no ojikan, the teacher still lives with both her parents, which brings a lot of humor to the character. Then again its more of a message to the kids, like don't get too attached to your parents.
Tenshi na Konamaiki, both the parents are alive, the father is a hentai and the mother is the owner of some major corporation, they do stupid thing when they are there and most of the time they are not there at all.
Old 14-12-2004, 06:46 PM   #27   [permalink]
Destructa
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Destructa
I guess it is kind of hard to feel sorry for a character when they have both of their parents. I never really thought about it till now. Now it's gonna bug me with every show I watch.
Destructa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #28   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

i don't feel sorry for the characters without parents, I just feel that they are much more mature and strong because they have to deal with crap from an earlier age. I think its just to make the fantatsical elements make sense.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Old 15-12-2004, 07:43 AM   #29   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

If you can make sense out of kids flying gaint robots while most adults can't even get a flying license for a regular propeller aircraft let alone sophisticated jets, just because they lost their (one of)parents, you go right on ahead If say they are more mature than their peers maybe, but entire harems just because their parents are not around
Old 15-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #30   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

No, i'm just saying that it creates truth of correspondence, that is, a situation that mirrors real life that makes the imaginary world you are experiencing seem real.

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!