Old 16-12-2004, 06:38 PM   #1   [permalink]
JapanRecordGuy

Does anyone buy Anime these days?

With all the easily downloadable FTP sites with free anime available on the web, does anyone actually buy anime these days? The reason I'm asking is because I just started an Anime and J-POP Music shop in Fountain Valley, CA. Should I just give up or do people still buy CDs and DVDs???

Last edited by JapanRecordGuy; 17-12-2004 at 10:15 PM.
JapanRecordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 06:55 PM   #2   [permalink]
Spike 558
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Spike 558 Send a message via MSN to Spike 558 Send a message via Yahoo to Spike 558
I buy all my anime because I:

a) have a crap computer
b) Don't know where to find fansubs
c) can't be fucked upgarding / looking

But in as such, my anime collection currently takes up a lot of space compared to people who just have a bunch of spindles.

Mind you, considering that fansubs exist only until the anime is officially released, it does place some people in a postion of advantage as once their down with their fansubs they can throw them away easily - as to compared to me who is stuck with their DVD's for life.
Oh well......
If one of my cartoons has brought joy and laughter to just one person, if I have been able to make just one person simply smile and forget their troubles for only a moment, then that cartoon, clearly, was not worth drawing
- The Complete Far Side

Last edited by Spike 558; 16-12-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Spike 558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #3   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

First of all, I buy TONS of imported CDs. I don't download anime, but in the past I have bought some fansubs, but I buy my anime now. And as a matter of fact, I just bought .hack//sign and .hack//dusk. You're charging over $40 for just one disc of .hack//sign. You're going to have to make your prices reasonable if you want to sell anything. Your CDs are not documented worth a damn, no product codes, manufacturer, release date, nothing. It wouldn't surprise me if most or all of them are bootlegs, especially by looking at how much less you charge for those than the DVDs. You can't run a respectable anime DVD/CD shop unless you're a respectable dealer.

Second of all, you should edit your post and remove that link before a mod gives you a warning.
Old 16-12-2004, 07:51 PM   #4   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Well I haven't bought anime for the past couple of months now, mainly due to my lack on interest with current series but yes I did buy anime. Sure fansubs these days are high in quality but they can't rival dvd picture and sound quality, plus I much prefer watching anime on a TV then the computer screen (sure you can convert the fansubs into VCD or DVD but ehh too lazy)

@ raynebc
What's wrong with that link? All it is is an online store.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #5   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Originally Posted by JapanRecordGuy
With all the easily downloadable FTP sites with free anime available on the web, does anyone actually buy anime these days? The reason I'm asking is because I just started an Anime and J-POP Music shop in Fountain Valley, CA. Should I just give up or do people still buy CDs and DVDs???

http://www.japanrecords.com
Yes, very much so. Most people I know watch a fansub of a previously unlicensed anime and then buy the R1 dvd's. Besides, most fansubs are stuff that are not out here, so I don't think it's going to hurt the anime industry as a whole. Speaking of the anime industry, it's still on the rise. The peak was back on 2000-2002, but it seems like anime is getting more and more releases. So yea, do NOT give up on your store, now's the time to start it.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 08:31 PM   #6   [permalink]
Destructa
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Destructa
I buy all the anime I watch. To tell you the truth, I don't really know anyone who downloads anime off the internet. People still do buy DVDs and CDs, especially if the prices are low. There's nothing like actually holding a DVD case in your hands.
Destructa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 09:18 PM   #7   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Splintr420
You gotta support your favorite artists! If you didn't, then they wouldn't make anime or manga for all of us!

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Splintr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 12:48 AM   #8   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
No one noticed that this is his first post, and he linked to a site selling bootlegs?

*cough*BANNED!*cough*

Dying is so damn expensive, I don't think I can afford it.

Founder and Executive Council member of the Bebop Mafia. Alias: Crimson Tears.
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 07:32 AM   #9   [permalink]
Splintr420
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Splintr420
I clicked it. and it doesn't seem to have bootlegs...

JapanGuy, edit your post. You don't want to make the admin mad...

Feh!

Saiyu sen jiko yo!
Splintr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 11:36 AM   #10   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Welcome to Animeboards, JapanRecordGuy!

Forum Rules:
Quote:
8. NO selling or promotion of your own web services or products. If you want to pay for advertising on this forum contact the Admin here for current advertising rates.

9. NO selling or distribution or discussion of illegal or copyrighted materials on this board.
I'm going to edit your first post to remove the link to your store. We have a series of forums where webmastering, site promotion, and such can be discussed. Don't worry, I'm not going to warn you as you're new. But you did agree to the rules when you signed up so you may want to look them over again.

Quickly looking at the products you sell leaves me with the impression you sell imports or bootlegs. If you could send me a PM and confirm what you sell, I'd appreciate it.

On the topic, Hell yeah, I buy anime. I prefer to own physical copies of the media I enjoy. It looks more impressive on a shelf than in a folder directory under C:\Downloads\anime anyway.
Old 17-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #11   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

That link is still there, Drizzten.

Anyway, a way you can help your site is to elaborate on product info. There are people out there who actually don't mind buying bootlegs, but you better say what your products are, or you can find yourself a lawsuit. Other than that, please note that bootlegs are forbidden by US and international copyright law. The FBI is too busy for online reports, but somebody making a report to a local police station will close your store for good. You better take it seriously because it would only take one or two incidences like that to ruin your entire life.

My suggestion is to study the difference between authentic and counterfeit anime goods. For starters, any "commercial" DVD that is "all region" is bootleg. Laws in USA and Japan require DVD region coding, you'll never find an authentic anime DVD playable in all regions, not even a bonus DVD with an album.

Any seemingly "Japanese" anime CD that does not explicitly say it was made in Japan is a bootleg. By law, all Japanese CDs have release date and price printed on the jewel case insert and in most cases the spine card. Any authentic anime CD will say what country it's made in. Some bootleggers have enough balls to print on their CD that it's made in Taiwan, but that doesn't fool anyone who's smart.

Those are the easiest methods to check your inventory for authenticity, in case you had been ignorant about the bootlegs the whole time.
Old 17-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #12   [permalink]
DarkPrimus
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to DarkPrimus
Originally Posted by Splintr420
I clicked it. and it doesn't seem to have bootlegs...
"Esraflowne" for $41.85? "Stand Alone Complex 1-26" for $41.85? "Studio Ghibli Movie Collection" for $55.80?

Sounds like bootlegs to me.

Dying is so damn expensive, I don't think I can afford it.

Founder and Executive Council member of the Bebop Mafia. Alias: Crimson Tears.
DarkPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 03:49 PM   #13   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

I have about 7 series, but for the past year, I've been mostly renting.
Old 17-12-2004, 06:47 PM   #14   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
Yes, I do. I've bought all my lisenced anime and still do.

Last edited by Nulani; 17-12-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 09:55 PM   #15   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

I still buy the dvds for the series that I am collecting ... fansubs do serve a purpose of giving people a taste of whats new (and they also put pressure on the production houses to get them to the international market) ...
... as for bootlegs ... they do look tempting ... and I have bought a few that were not available any other way (example: Flame of Recca) ... but if the licensed DVD is available, I would buy that.

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote