Old 17-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #16   [permalink]
JapanRecordGuy

Hi guys. Thanks for all the useful info about bootlegs and such. I really started this store to help promote Japanese culture, so whatever tips and advice you can give, please let me know. And thanks for being understanding to a newbie post!
JapanRecordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #17   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
I buy anime, but I search for the best deals.

Lots of stuff I get from eBay or RightStuff deals. Sometimes BestBuy or box sets from

Last week, I picked up a CD "Japan For Sale, vol 2" from a campus mostly used media store.
Old 18-12-2004, 01:12 AM   #18   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
Do I buy anime DVDs and/or CDs? Heck yeah. You should see the shelves in my bedroom.

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
AnkaraStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 01:29 AM   #19   [permalink]
PlasticRetard

Send a message via MSN to PlasticRetard
I just love to see my dvd-shelves filled with dvds and boxes of all sorts, so I must buy more anime all the time.
What's the fun in collecting data-files anyway?
Old 18-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #20   [permalink]
Older Angel slayer
Forum Junkie

Send a message via MSN to Older Angel slayer
I don't buy any anime, because my brother buys it all, he seems to get all his legally though.
In case someone mentions my exploitation of my brother by just watching all the anime he buys and never buying my own, that's because I spend my money on music and video games, and he's made it clear to me that he won't buy either as long as I am, lol.
Older Angel slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #21   [permalink]
Nilrem
Executive Member

I buy most of my anime because I like to actually have the legal product (and it's normally much higher quality than any dodgy stuff).

having said that i only bought half as many disks this year as i did last year, but that's not massively suprising as last year i bought 200 or so
Nilrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2004, 05:21 AM   #22   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Originally Posted by AnkaraStark
Do I buy anime DVDs and/or CDs? Heck yeah. You should see the shelves in my bedroom.
Ditto. My collection has spilled out into boxes on my floor and at the opening of my closet. I have to admit, it's a small closet.
Old 19-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #23   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

I tend to download non-licensed stuff now (currently: Gankutsuou, Bleach, My-HiME). I'm not employed, so I pretty much cannot afford buying licensed anime and I don't download licensed anime (I like to support when I can). I bought a lot when I was employed, though. I usually get my fix from Adult Swim (watching FMA dubbed is odd, though, but it still rocks my world).
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #24   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
Yeah I buy it all. 2 reason for me. I like to watch my Anime in English and I like to watch it on my Big Screen TV
Old 24-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #25   [permalink]
MaNgA4LyF
Forum Elite

Send a message via MSN to MaNgA4LyF
im like Teldak, ill download non licienced anime but ill tend to also go buy series that i really liked just so i can watch it on big screen lol surround sound ._.
Old 26-12-2004, 12:47 PM   #26   [permalink]
hotaru112

If I wanna watch anime that's not on TV, I have to buy it. That is because I have dial-up connection (still, after four years -_-), and I can't really order stuff online.
hotaru112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2004, 11:59 AM   #27   [permalink]
z80

I will sometimes DL an episode or 2 to see if it's worth watching.. I'm usually far to lazy to DL an entire series. HK DVD's aren't worth the plastic they are made of. The one thing that REALLY bugs me is how some fansubs are better than the commerical (real) releases.. Chobits comes to mind as an example. I DL'ed the series and since I liked it (still one of my favorites) I felt compelled to buy the Pioneer DVD's.. well, they suck, I still bought them, but they suck. Stupid english language translation and mediocre, at best, subs. I'm real glad I have a DIVX playing DVD player. I still support the commerical products, I just hope they aren't getting to the point where they take the fans for granted and just churn out endless amounts of crap. I also FIRMLY believe that Anime has become mainstream enough to bring the pricing in line with a normal DVD purchase. Look at it this way, an entire season of Aqua Teen, or Sealab is what, $29.95? Entire 1st season of Magnum P.I. was $39.95.. How much was the entire Chobits? Or Haibane Renmei? And Haibane is only 13 episodes.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #28   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I buy all my anime, mainly imports from the US & Japan.., I very rarely d/l anything these days, because I'm paranoid about viruses.., I downloaded a trailer for something a couple of years ago, & the virus that came along with it killed my HD.., once bitten, twice shy.., so no, I don't d/l anime..,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #29   [permalink]
sunset

I buy most of my DVDs either at eBay or at the FNAC stores.

eBay usually beat the FNAC stores by a year or more in terms of new imports but once in a while, instead of the genuine article IŽll get a bootleg from HK with no dub and AWFULL subs.

Ex: I got this Last Exile boxset where I saw all the episodes without knowing most of the characters names; They would change 3 to 4 times in a row. Claus could be Kurosu, Kuros or Klos, Tatiana was Dakiana, Luciola was Buciora, Meister Delphine was Maisteru Derephine or Derufinu......... a nightmare!
Most of the lines couldnŽt be read directly, they had to be "interpreted" in the context.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #30   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

That's ebay for you. Go ahead and complain to ebay, they don't give a damn. You're better off going to the police and reporting the fraud.