Old 29-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #1   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

Yakitate!! Japan

Has anyone else been watching this as well?

Personally, I think it's a nice change from the usual. The basic premise is that the main guy, Azuma Kazuma is out to make Japan (pronounced "jah-pahn", the latter half meaning bread in Japanese). His reasoning is that there is no national bread in Japan, while there is for nearly every European country. He got his start and his dream from the guy who ran Pantasia (a little bread store amongst the rice paddies). Kazuma was introduced to bread by Inaho, his sister, because he thought it all was dry and gross. Pantasia changed that for him and he worked up a couple batches of dough with the owner. Inaho wanted bread to be the breakfast staple rather than rice, but first their grandfather needed convinced. So, Kazuma and Inaho go to Pantasia's owner to find the secret, giving rise (unintentional and subtle pun!) to Japan #1: Soy bread! Grandfather required a bread to go with his Nattou and Miso soup, so Pantasia's owner put in soy milk rather than his normal milk. Grandfather approved and for the following ten years, Azuma Kazuma has been at it and made 63 (or was it 53?) different types of bread. During the passing time, Pantasia has re-opened in Tokyo and spread from there, so Kazuma decides to get a job in Tokyo with Pantasia.

Character design for the series is refreshing, not the same old stuff. My one quip is the Manager looks a hell of a lot like Nabeshin with a less colorful suit. The animation is great, too. I'll try not to spoil too much, but they really do run amok making things overblown (which seems to happen two or three times an episode). The jokes pretty much all play off the fact that Azuma Kazuma knows none of the proper names of the breads he has made, simply what meals they are to accompany. A lot of punnage shows up in the series (which the A-E fansubs do a great job of explaining).

Probably the funniest sequence in it so far is near the beginning of Episode 5, I believe. Inaho and Kazuma are discussing a different type of milk than cow's milk, after Kazuma goes all sentimental. Probably made all the more funny by the fact that I know someone by the name of Hanako who is very...similar to Lina Inverse when it comes to her :: cough :: proportions.
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Haven't been keeping up with the anime, but I've been reading the manga portion of things and I'll definately say for sure that it's got me hooked. Didn't realize that bread can be a unique deilacacy by itself. I always get hungry for bread when I read!! But what's more interesting are the characters whom make the bread. I won't go into much detail as I don't really know if people are watching or reading the manga yet. But this is a definate change of pace from other anime. Much better than Cooking Master Boy, I may add.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 06:34 PM   #3   [permalink]
WierdIsraeli
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to WierdIsraeli Send a message via AIM to WierdIsraeli
I honestly say when that serie makes me want to make bread.
Quote:
"Work best under the pressure of impending death."
WierdIsraeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 01:56 AM   #4   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by WierdIsraeli
I honestly say when that serie makes me want to make bread.
I'm in agreement, the only problem being it makes me want some really good bread!

The horse has got to be one of the greatest random bits so far. I mean, freaking Mr. Ed! It's so random!
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 10:07 AM   #5   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I love that show.They got all sorts of colorful characters like Tsuyoshi and Meister Kirisaki.

Kirisaki looks so sophisticated and dignified,it makes it hard to picture him making bread lol.
Old 15-01-2005, 06:10 AM   #6   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Darklightz
Kirisaki looks so sophisticated and dignified,it makes it hard to picture him making bread lol.
Ah you know senseis- always cool and aloof, then when they get into their domain, it's all action!
Old 16-01-2005, 05:16 AM   #7   [permalink]
Crystal

Love the manga. Only seen a bit of the anime. It's very cute. I'm just wondering if the techniques and stuff they say in the series is actually true. (I can't bake so I can't try it either) My favourite character is probably Kanmuri.
Old 16-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #8   [permalink]
MaNgA4LyF
Forum Elite

Send a message via MSN to MaNgA4LyF
Havent watched or read most of it yet but it does seem interesting. it pulls people in for no reason just like addicted to curry and beck o.O" Beck... now that pulls u in for no reason. especially the anime T_T
Old 19-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #9   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
I like the manga. Wonder how long the anime series will be?

Reminds me of Hikaru no Go which had many, many episodes...

Last edited by iwakura; 19-01-2005 at 10:38 PM.
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote