Old 07-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #1   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
Flat-panel monitors

For all of you out there with flat-panel monitors, I have a question for you.

Have you ever heard of a MAG flat-panel computer monitor? Do you know anything about the quality of the brand and how good/bad it is? I'm just curious because I'm looking into buying a 17" LCD flat-panel monitor but wasn't sure if I should go for an NEC, HP, Dell, MAG or Sony.

Do any of you have any suggestions and/or recommendations?

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
AnkaraStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:18 AM   #2   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by AnkaraStark
For all of you out there with flat-panel monitors, I have a question for you.

Have you ever heard of a MAG flat-panel computer monitor? Do you know anything about the quality of the brand and how good/bad it is? I'm just curious because I'm looking into buying a 17" LCD flat-panel monitor but wasn't sure if I should go for an NEC, HP, Dell, MAG or Sony.

Do any of you have any suggestions and/or recommendations?
For hardware reviews I often go to Tomshardware

Check out this comparison review ...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...123/index.html

Here are our recommendations:

The LG1720B came out on top among the entry-level monitors. This may seem paradoxical, since not so long ago it was the top of the LG line. But since the unit is now on sale for $420, it would be hard to justify saving a few dollars by buying a monitor like the NEC LCD72VM. If outlay is an important criterion in your choice, the LG should satisfy you regardless of the use you'll put it to. It may not excel in any one area, but it's good in all.

In the multi-use category, the clear winner is the Samsung 710T. Its new 13 ms panel is responsive enough to make for good gaming, and it's even faster than the Hydis panel. The Samsung is as much at ease with office applications and multimedia use.

Finally, for those who are more worried about color rendering than responsiveness, I'd advise buying the VX715. Its more traditional format and more acceptable latency make it a great candidate as a main monitor. We particularly appreciated the intensity of the colors and the wealth of shades this model offers. We'd advise it for graphics pros.

Also check out Anandtech ...

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?
i=2289&p=17

This is the conclusion to a review on the newest 19" monitors ... I know you said 17 ... but there is a pricing middle ground that overlaps ... and IMO the extra "2 inches" makes a significant difference.

Final Thoughts
When we first started this analysis, we felt a little confident that the budget monitors in this comparison did not stand much chance against some of the other units among the group. On the contrary, we were very impressed to see the ~$400 units performing better than the more expensive units in our roundup. The low response time of the BenQ P931 played less of a role in our comparisons than we had anticipated, and sacrificing an 8-bit LCD panel for a 6-bit one probably hurt the monitor more than it should have in our comparative report card.

Our Samsung 193P won our hearts in almost every benchmark - colors were great, the design is awesome and we noticed no motion blur. Unfortunately, that amazing performance comes with a $700 price tag - you could almost get two NuTech L921Gs for that price! In fact, the ViewSonic Q190MB and identical twin NuTech L921G performed splendid in today's roundup. The price point is certainly there, and our analysis on the last few pages proved performance just at or slightly below that of the Samsung 193P in applications. For a low cost, no frills 19" solution, NuTech and ViewSonic monitors are hard to beat.

However, don't go away from this article with just the knowledge that the ViewSonic Q190MB and the NuTech L921G are good buys. Recall the steps that we laid out at the beginning of this article on how to buy a good LCD. To sum things up, remember the basics about monitor shopping - don't blindly trust all the specifications on the box and see the unit before you buy it.

Sam

Last edited by SamIam; 08-01-2005 at 12:29 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #3   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
Originally Posted by SamIam

This is the conclusion to a review on the newest 19" monitors ... I know you said 17 ... but there is a pricing middle ground that overlaps ... and IMO the extra "2 inches" makes a significant difference.

Sam
Thank you so much for your help, Sam. I must concur with your statement about the extra "2 inches," as I currently own an old 19" monitor and absolutely love it. I only wish it was dying, lol.

The reason I said I was looking for a 17" screen was because of the increased price variations between the 17" and the 19" monitors at the local stores. But I think I probably will just go through and pay the extra money for the 19", since I know it'll be well worth it.

The reviews you listed were exceptionally helpful and informative, unlike so many other review sites that are out on the web. Thank you once again!

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
AnkaraStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:05 AM   #4   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

One other consideration ... I am not sure what your shopping situation is ... (I live in Hawaii) ... but I have found that reputable mail order houses offer very competitive prices and usually much better selection than can be found at say a "Best Buy" or "CompUSA" ... I have had good results so far from NewEgg and Computergate.

Sam
Old 12-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #5   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

A strong consideration, Casey. A 19" CRT and a 17" LCD have very similar view areas because a 19" CRT is measured 19" across the bezel whereas the LCD is measured across the screen. If you decide to go for a 19" LCD it would be equivelant of a 20" or 21" CRT.
Old 15-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #6   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Hiigaran
A strong consideration, Casey. A 19" CRT and a 17" LCD have very similar view areas because a 19" CRT is measured 19" across the bezel whereas the LCD is measured across the screen. If you decide to go for a 19" LCD it would be equivelant of a 20" or 21" CRT.
True, but I would point out that besides the keyboard, the monitor is one of the most "utilized" of computer components ... one that can greatly affect long term comfort. In my experience, unless space (depth) is an issue, then there is no such thing as "to big" a monitor ... plus, the 20" to 21" in monitor is a nice size to have should you want to convert your computer system to do double duty as a digital tv for a small to medium sized room.

Add to this that the monitor, of all the basic components ... will most likely have the longest practical lifespan ... thus reasonable added expense in initial price (if prorated) should balance out as a cost effective investment.

General rule of thumb for home computer systems ...

1. Get adequate ram ( a good bet would be on the order of 1 gig)
2. (all else being equal) get the largest monitor that you can comfortably afford.
3. Test and evaluate the type of imput device you feel most comfortable with ... it is surprising who (apparently) minor design shifts can create significantly better or worse ergonomics for the individual.

4. (a bit more esoteric, but useful) is to gauge your basic system on the cpu AND MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET ... most salespeople and even manufacturers ... tend to gloss over the chipset in favor of the brand and its clock speed ... which can be very misleading ... most particulary in the "high end" celeron chips boasting 2+ Gigahertz performance ... without going into the technical minutia ... the increased clock speed does not translate into the perceived performance profile associated with its big brother the Pentium 4 series ...

... at present IMO the best bang for the buck is represented by AMD's socket 939 motherboards with the Nvidia NForce4 chipset coupled with the Athlon 64 3000+ (and a good thirdparty cpu cooler) ... the 3000+ is a favorite among the overclocking community for its flexibility in "tweaking" ... but of course it's performance stock is more than adequate for anything but the most demanding high end apps ... and even then the performance is fair... and the overclockability if used "down the road", can effctively extend your system life by perhaps 1 chip generation.

Sam

Last edited by SamIam; 15-01-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 16-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #7   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Just got a 3200+ on an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo. It's quite the sexy beast.

On the bit of monitors, I believe it's obvious my main concern is ghosting as my system is built to play games. I just purchased the Samsung 710T that Tom's Hardware gave its Editor's Choice award. 19" and higher LCD monitors have yet to match the refresh rate of the 17" 12ms monitors. That was my strongest consideration when researching my monitors. I also wanted to have a DVI connection to cut out the analog middleman, a potential source of ghosting and reduced image quality.
Old 16-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #8   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Hiigaran
Just got a 3200+ on an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo. It's quite the sexy beast.

On the bit of monitors, I believe it's obvious my main concern is ghosting as my system is built to play games. I just purchased the Samsung 710T that Tom's Hardware gave its Editor's Choice award. 19" and higher LCD monitors have yet to match the refresh rate of the 17" 12ms monitors. That was my strongest consideration when researching my monitors. I also wanted to have a DVI connection to cut out the analog middleman, a potential source of ghosting and reduced image quality.
Niiiiiice!

ahhh ... wakarimasu,

If the bias is for gaming then, that is a very good point ... but for
"reasonably good" gaming and the advantages of a larger display the reviewers at toms seem to feel that a good compromise has been reached at this point ...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...10/lcd-18.html

The progress the industry has made in bringing us 19" monitors intended for gaming is considerable. While these models are all slower than the best 17" LCD panels, they offer gaming pleasure that's just not comparable and is well worth sacrificing a few milliseconds for, within acceptable limits of course. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the LG-Philips panels and the growing popularity of the LG1915s is more than justified. Its price/performance ratio makes it a very tempting choice.

My preference goes to the LG-Philips 190X5, however, for the quality of its display of blacks and its responsiveness, even if it is more expensive. A monitor is an investment for several years, after all...

Needless to say, we'll be following developments in the realm of fast 19" displays, because it's clear from their quality and the sensation of immersion they can deliver that this display size will quickly become the choice of any dedicated gamer.

Last edited by SamIam; 16-01-2005 at 02:30 PM.