Old 10-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #1   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Fresh opinions on Heat Guy J & Argentosoma

My nutty Canadian cousins bought me the third DVD of Heat Guy J and the second DVD of Argentosoma for Christmas. I've heard of these series in the past and they generally got good reviews, but before I buy the first volumes (I won't watch the episodes I have until I see the previous ones), are these series good enough to buy?

For reference, my favorite animes are FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, etc.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #2   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
I've only seen volume 1 of Heat Guy J and from that I have to say I enjoyed it immensely, very cool. I guess I liked the whole sydicates and crime lords esque thing (bit like Cowboy Bebopo might I dare say) and the visuals are very nice too.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 12:39 AM   #3   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Anyone else? Don't make me go back and search through all those threads!
Old 21-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #4   [permalink]
Newtype05

I'm about to see first DVD of Argentosoma series so I'll post a review next week. From what I've heard it's like Evangelion-esque but with less slap-stick humor and no fanservice, supposedly a serious anime. I couldn't keep enough interest going to watch through Rah Xephone so I might not like this one either.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #5   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Yeah. Argentosoma is a very serious anime. Parts of it are very reminiscent of NGE, but at the same time it's very different.

Hmmm.... Argento Soma. I've kind of got mixed feelings about it. I think I liked it, but I'm not sure if I'll watch it again any time soon. But at the same time, when it's shelf-cleaning time and I'm looking for series that I don't really care for that much to sell back, AS is always skipped over. The storyline was good; aside from the "aliens coming to Earth" aspect, it's actually different from NGE, particularly when you found out what the heck was going on. I liked the characters a lot. They were complex and had various motivations that came out throughout the course of the show, which helped make them more realistic. Animation was decent. The music was just nice, nothing too memorable, with one exception: Hattie's song, and especially the orchestral arrangement of it that is played at the end of the epilogue episode. Very, very gorgeous.

Not too sure what else I can say without revealing anything. It's been awhile since I watched it last.
Old 22-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #6   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
I haven't seen Argento soma in a while as well, what I do remember is that I like it more than NGE. The story was better and the character felt realistic in comparisson to NGE. I would definately wanna see it again if I can remember where I left it
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 12:28 AM   #7   [permalink]
Newtype05

Well, I just saw the first DVD of Argentosoma...let's see...I fell asleep about three times...and realized I should give RahXephon another try, so basically, it was terrible. The story is not very fluid, and characters are not very unique...and none of the elements were memorable, it was like a bad dream, blurry, and dim. I just couldnt get into the story, I guess the blame can be due to a bad storytelling, but anime quality isn't all that good either. A very forgettable anime, I wouldn't mind skipping this altogether.
Old 23-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #8   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Originally Posted by Newtype05
Well, I just saw the first DVD of Argentosoma...let's see...I fell asleep about three times...and realized I should give RahXephon another try, so basically, it was terrible. The story is not very fluid, and characters are not very unique...and none of the elements were memorable, it was like a bad dream, blurry, and dim. I just couldnt get into the story, I guess the blame can be due to a bad storytelling, but anime quality isn't all that good either. A very forgettable anime, I wouldn't mind skipping this altogether.
Funny, I thought the same about Raxephon, its one of the few animes I couldn't bare to watch any further cause it felt like a badly ripp-off of NGE.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #9   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by Takahashi
Funny, I thought the same about Raxephon, its one of the few animes I couldn't bare to watch any further cause it felt like a badly ripp-off of NGE.
Ditto. I struggled through six volumes of RahXephon before finally calling it quits. Maybe I'll finish the series later, but overall, despite the good animation, it was forgettable IMO. (Literally, because I could never remember what was happening from one volume to the next.)
Old 23-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #10   [permalink]
Newtype05

Yeah I thought RahXephon was boring too, but after seeing 1st DVD of Argentosoma I realized RahXephon wasn't that bad. There's a reason Argentosoma isn't popular, and I've witnessed it firsthand.
Old 24-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by Newtype05
Yeah I thought RahXephon was boring too, but after seeing 1st DVD of Argentosoma I realized RahXephon wasn't that bad. There's a reason Argentosoma isn't popular, and I've witnessed it firsthand.
Bah. The reason AS isn't popular is because, comparatively speaking, it wasn't hyped up half as much as RahXephon was.
Old 24-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #12   [permalink]
Newtype05

Well at least RahXephon can back it up with high quality art work, Argentosoma is just blah. Nonetheless, they are both subpar in the plot department.
Old 28-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #13   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I love Argento Soma! I saw it years ago. I bought the box set a few months back.

Oh wow..so good. I love it. Its a great anime. But then who knows how I think?

I felt that the music, storyline, characters had more 'colour' than NGE.
*cries*
So beautiful.
It only looks like an NGE clone until you get further in.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #14   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Personally for me RahXephon > Evangelion > ArgentoSoma

RahXephon (A) was great the whole way through
Evangelion (A-) was amazing yet flawed
ArgentoSoma (B) had a good start, horrible and I mean horrible filler during the middle but an amazing ending which was the best of the 3 easily.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #15   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

I appreciate the help.