Old 27-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #1   [permalink]
Newtype05

Need a recommendation on following anime series

Well I'm trying to decide which anime series to watch next, and the choices are:

Berserk
The Twelve Kingdoms
Samurai X

Now, I've heard great things about all three, which makes it even more difficult to choose, so if you have watched all three, please rate them from best to worst. A short comment on why it's good would be great too.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #2   [permalink]
cryptic soul

Send a message via AIM to cryptic soul
i don't know about berserk because i have never seen it. and i haven't seen samurai x either. but i absolutely love twelve kingdoms. it's one of my favorite animes. so, out of the three i strongly recommend you see Twelve Kingdoms.

Last edited by cryptic soul; 28-01-2005 at 09:56 AM.
cryptic soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #3   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Originally Posted by Newtype05
Berserk
The Twelve Kingdoms
Samurai X

Now, I've heard great things about all three, which makes it even more difficult to choose, so if you have watched all three, please rate them from best to worst. A short comment on why it's good would be great too.
God, no. Assuming that "Samurai X" refers to the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs and not to the movie... your question sucks.

A brief overview of each:

Berserk - The good: Some of the most compelling and complex characters you'll find in any anime; shocking twists throughout; excellent music; war tactics are more realistic than most anime. The "bad": The ending?; violence of series might unsettle those with weak stomachs.

Twelve Kingdoms - The good: Characters with realistic and complicated motivations, who actually develop over the course of the series; beautiful animation and gorgeous music; a serious, uncliched, complex story that creates a completely new and believable world. The "bad": Creation of a new language means learning a lot of vocabulary, which might put off the casual viewer.

Rurouni Kenshin OVA: Trust and Betrayal - The good: Powerful romantic storyline; strong characters; excellent soundtrack; one volume, which is good for the financially tapped. The "bad": A bit difficult to follow the historical events the first time through unless you know Japanese history (however, understanding of the historical events is not really necessary to enjoying the OVA).

And after much consideration.... best to worst...... "worst" being relative....

1. Twelve Kingdoms
2. Berserk
3. RK OVA

I have to give the slight edge to Twelve Kingdoms over Berserk. A very, very slight edge, though, because both of those series are on my top ten list. RK comes third, but only because it just isn't as complex as the other two, which is understandable considering it's just an OVA.

If possible, get all three. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend either Twelve Kingdoms or Berserk.

Last edited by dheu; 27-01-2005 at 11:07 PM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #4   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

The Twelve Kingdoms is the longest of all three of those (unless you mean the Rurouni Kenshin series instead of the Samurai X OAVs). I just finished watching it a few days ago and I was very pleased with it. On the downside, there are many names and titles to memorize and it can all get confusing at times. It's best to watch it twice.

Berserk is about 6 DVDs long if I remember and is also very good, but if you are sketchy about gore and violence, you may want to wait with it. The story pans out well and it has good detailed animation. I'm not going to spoil the ending for you, but you may want to leave the lights on.

Samurai X (OAVs) is also very good. I would recommend watching the OAVs first (Trust and Betrayal), then the TV series Rurouni Kenshin, and follow it up with the last OAV Reflections, which is made in the same art style as the first OAVs and is a good serious and heart-renching ending to the saga of Kenshin.

All in all, either way you go you're gonna spend a lot of time watching any of them, and for the most part they are all serious-grounded and violent at times.
Old 28-01-2005, 01:23 AM   #5   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

RE: Samurai X (OAVs) is also very good. I would recommend watching the OAVs first (Trust and Betrayal), then the TV series Rurouni Kenshin, and follow it up with the last OAV Reflections, which is made in the same art style as the first OAVs and is a good serious and heart-renching ending to the saga of Kenshin

Just never become aquainted with the Manga if you choose to watch Reflections. Because honestly, in my opinion, if you want a conclusion to Kenshin the best option would be to watch the TV series up until the end of the Kyoto Arc and then read the Manga's Revenge Arc when it becomes available in the States. Most people who are aware of how the series truly ended were either disapointed or disgusted with Reflections.

BTW my Suggestion would be Twelve Kingdoms. Berserk was good too, but Twelve Kingdoms is within my top ten Anime.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #6   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

RK OVA's are a masterpiece
Berserk is incredible
Twelve Kingdoms is the best animated tv series this decade
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 12:58 AM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Damn..now I have to see this 12 kingdoms to find out what y'all blabbin aboot.
I better not be disappointed. You dont want to see me disappointed >.<
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 05:36 AM   #8   [permalink]
Newtype05

I've seen the first DVD of Twelve Kingdoms, and so far I'm not very impressed nor entertained. The story is already getting repetitive, with as routine as ever action sequences of the main character slicing away creatures with a sword effortlessly, this is not looking good. And the whole magical creature stuff ain't anything new nor impressive for an anime really, it might get better but I'm not gettinig into the whole alternate world setting, I knew I shouldn't have expected much when I saw NHK was the broadcasting station. Maybe I'll give it one more DVD try then decide whether to keep watching.
Old 30-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #9   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Junni Kokki hits it's straps from about the 3rd dvd onwards, but if you don't like things like plot or character development forget it.
Old 30-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #10   [permalink]
cryptic soul

Send a message via AIM to cryptic soul
I've seen the first DVD of Twelve Kingdoms, and so far I'm not very impressed nor entertained. The story is already getting repetitive, with as routine as ever action sequences of the main character slicing away creatures with a sword effortlessly, this is not looking good. And the whole magical creature stuff ain't anything new nor impressive for an anime really, it might get better but I'm not gettinig into the whole alternate world setting, I knew I shouldn't have expected much when I saw NHK was the broadcasting station. Maybe I'll give it one more DVD try then decide whether to keep watching.
i wasn't really that into the series until mabey episode 12, so stick with it for a while it gets better.
cryptic soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

My God. No offense, but are you the most picky anime watcher in the world or what? So critical....

Repetitive? This anime is as far from repetitive as you can get, because the characters are constantly changing and evolving. Yoko can slice at creatures effortlessly because her body is being controlled, not because she knows instinctively how to handle a sword.

The "magical creature stuff" isn't a new idea. The idea of a schoolgirl being dragged into a new world and forced to find a way to survive isn't a new idea. There are no new ideas under the sun. It is the presentation and the way that the story is told that makes Twelve Kingdoms truly unique.

Try another dvd of it, if you can or if you feel like it. The character development really starts to kick off from that point. If you like character development, that is, and don't see it as "stupid" or "uninteresting."
Old 30-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #12   [permalink]
Newtype05

I'm not really that picky, it's just that fantasy anime isn't really what I watch. But lately there aren't enough quality anime to watch so I'm just giving this a try.

Anyway, Twelve Kingdoms is high quality anime so I'll keep watching for now, at least Sugimoto is interesting, she has spunk! I hope there's a good plot twist, and a serious character makeover because Nakajima is already annoying with her constant whining.
Old 30-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #13   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

She stops whining around dvd 2.
Old 30-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #14   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

I'm not really that picky, it's just that fantasy anime isn't really what I watch. But lately there aren't enough quality anime to watch so I'm just giving this a try.

Anyway, Twelve Kingdoms is high quality anime so I'll keep watching for now, at least Sugimoto is interesting, she has spunk! I hope there's a good plot twist, and a serious character makeover because Nakajima is already annoying with her constant whining.
Oh yeah. She is pretty whiny in the beginning, isn't she? But thankfully, Westlo's right. Her character does a complete 180 during the second dvd. I'm glad you're going to stick with it for awhile more, because I think you'll like it a bit better the further you get into it.

I would never have stuck with it either if she'd stayed the way she was at the beginning.
Old 31-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #15   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

IF you think her character does a 180 between DVD 1 and 2, wait till you see how she changes by the end of the series. By DVD 7-8 the girl was a friggin Badass, and she is one of the most well developed characters in any series due to the amount of growth and change that she undergoes through the 45 episodes.

And as good as the Opening story arc from episode 1-13 is, the best of the best is Arc 3. Watching those episodes is what bumped Cowboy Bebop off of my Top Ten List.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote