Old 30-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #1   [permalink]
LadyP

Dubbing

What do you think of dubbing? Please give examples
LadyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #2   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

It's horrible it's evil even when Japanese seiyuu directors tell their cast to act more convincing like their english counterparts (Your Under Arrest) it's still horrible.

Anime should be watched in the language it's made in first so even though Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust was done in english first, it should be watched in japanese

Anime in japanese settings should be watched in japanese so fantasy animes and sci-fic ones should also be watched in japansese

Enough sarcasm I watch both 90% of the time, the sub track through the fansubs and than the dub on the dvd. Though for some animes I could watch either without caring some I prefer dubbed (Fruits Basket, R.O.D) and some I hate watching in english (Escaflowne, Gundam SEED).
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #3   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
I've enjoyed dubs in the past but I've become somewhat of a purest and go for subs only now. I love the fact that more videogames are being made bilingual these days. That said I can still enjoy a good dub, or even a bad one but my preference is for subs so the only place I find dubbing these day is in video games and well.... it can be a mixed bag. Metal Gear Solid dub good. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time dub bad, Baten Kaitos? Hell I keep putting off playing the game due to what I've seen in the trailers!

Last edited by MrBS; 30-01-2005 at 10:21 PM.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I started out watching dubs, like probably the majority of anime fans. But when I started buying dvds, I found something much better: the original Japanese track. I love to hear the original voice actors, because I feel like it's closer to what the creators imagined for their characters. I love Japanese; it really is a beautiful language. And once you get used to speed-reading the subtitles, you don't miss much of what's going on onscreen.

There are only two anime that I'll watch the dub for now: Cowboy Bebop (which for some reason really works with the English dub; might have something to do with the near-perfect voice acting) and Petshop of Horrors (for sentimental reasons, actually).

The majority of dubbed tracks just... lack something; it's like viewing an image through a distorting filter. I feel almost distant from the anime when I watch the dubbed version.

Call me elitist if you will, but I just like the subtitled version better.
Old 30-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #5   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

I've already said my opinion but for arguments sake....

I love to hear the original voice actors, because I feel like it's closer to what the creators imagined for their characters.

What if the anime is based on a manga or novel? If a director casts the voices then he's as close to what the creators imagined for their characters as the english voice director apart from the obvious langauge barrier.

The majority of dubbed tracks just... lack something; it's like viewing an image through a distorting filter. I feel almost distant from the anime when I watch the dubbed version.

Yeah I know what you mean, I watched the recap ep 26 for Gundam Seed which shows the big scenes so far during the image song Meteor in english, than japanese and english again. The acting and emotion shown was far better in the japanses version. There's daylight between those two tracks.

Worst dub ever is the Australian dub of Macross DYRL (unfortunately it's probably the easiest way to see DYRL and at least the musci was kept the same) which was called Clash of the bionoids. Elitist fans have no right to whine about their ears when watching a perfectly average/good dub when stuff like that is out there.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time dub bad

Yeah that was horrible the only decent voice imo was Albels by Crispin Freeman, thank god for the event skip during replays...... Nel's two subordinates had horrible voices *shudders*
Old 30-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #6   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
English dubbing has improved a lot now compared to a few years ago, to be honest if I were watching a DVD with both English and Japanese track I'd pick the English track first .., probably because I'm generally lazy.

Still in the majority of cases the Japanese track is far better then the English dubbed, though there are cases, I much prefer the English track of Trigun to the original Japanese.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #7   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

For me,I usually prefer watching a series in the first language I start watching it.I get used to the voices and then watching it in another language makes it sound weird.

Last edited by Darklightz; 30-01-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #8   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
I will almost always watch an anime in Japanese first. I like getting that "transcript" feeling of reading the dialogue and comparing it to what I see on the screen. I know that despite their best efforts, some changes have to be made to the English version in order to make thinks look better...and I'm OK with that. It gives me the chance to get two (slightly) different takes on the plot and charaters. And despite being able to read and watch at the same time, there are always things I miss, so I always have good reason to go back and watch everything again.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #9   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

For me it depends on the setting and story. In most anime it makes sense to me to watch it in Japanese because it's based in Japan and the main characters are obviously Japanese. I'll normally also watch anime set in fictional worlds in Japanese simply because I've gotten used to watching subs. However there are times when it just makes more sense to me to watch an anime in english because of its setting and the characters, like Gunsmith Cats and parts of Gasaraki which were set in America and featured American characters. It just made more sense to me to have them speaking english (though it did get annoying having to switch back and forth between the english and japanese tracks every five second in Gasaraki)
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #10   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Yeah I watch Chrono Cross in english since it's set in early 20th century America and it's quite a good dub. Where as RK TV is a decent enough dub it's just not suited to being in english though I maintain the english va was an excellent kenshin oros aside.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #11   [permalink]
Newtype05

I'm glad I don't need dubs. That's what I think.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #12   [permalink]
StlAnglKarinka

I beleive that dubbing is usually quite good. Sometimes there are a few screwups, but I generally like the dubbing job Animes are given. For example, Steel Angel Kurumi and Happy Lesson. I found the voices fit the characters very well, gentle and kind for Saki(SAK), a little unique for Karinka(SAK), and soft and a bit sarcastic for Kisaragi(HL). Of course I'm not saying I dislike the subs, I merely prefer to see the show in english so I can spend less time reading subtitles and more time enjoying the animation!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #13   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

I just hate that there aren't a more diverse number of voice actors. It's kinda hard to hear Spike's voice (Cowboy Bebop) coming from other characters in 10 different series.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #14   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I used to watch dubs all the time, primarily because UK distributers of anime didn't believe that there was a viable market for subtitled anime.., since the advent of DVD, there's always an option for either dubs or subs, so I always watch my anime subbed now..,

I don't mind dubs if they are done well, but a lot of the time it sounds like the VA's are reciting their lines over a phone with little or no emotion.., so give me subbed anime any day..,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #15   [permalink]
J-Syxx

I prefer dubs because the utility of listening to a language I don't speak is not more than the trouble it takes to read your tv. Not that I never read subtitles, but anime usually has a whole lot of dialogue so this makes it a chore. Its all personal preference though. You are not special for perfering subtitles or vice versa.
J-Syxx is offline   Reply With Quote