Send a message via ICQ to ATh
get a job

buy it.

asking for links to anime will get you banned

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #17   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Very sorry, I didn't make my position clear.

Asking for FREE anime more or less specifically says to the world "hey, I want something for nothing".

Asking for 'new' or 'fansubbed' anime is a lot less rude to the makers and comes off as being more of a general "whats out there" instead of the more "whats out there I dont have to pay for?".

To Westlo, its not that much to think an anime being licensed will discontinue its subbing. Fansubbers are not anonymous, they tend to be associated with domain names, local clubs etc. American companies wouldnt have to try hard to find those who dont behave in a mutual respect manner. Most fansubbers wouldnt bother continueing to illicitly supply anime. Most. There is an underground but atm its pretty small.

Im not anti-fansubbing or anti-free. Im just saying you shouldnt create subject titles that would make Eva2k's site look bad to your average skim reader.

Eventually we're going to have a harder and harder time getting great anime out of Japan. Its best not to wake the sleeping giant that is lawsuits eh?
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #18   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Most fansubbers wouldnt bother continueing to illicitly supply anime. Most. There is an underground but atm its pretty small.

About 10% of fansubbers would stop if a series is licensed and if they stop otherwise it's because they have been threatened with legal action.

And even subbing groups that have the "we will stop if it's licensed" policy get around that. Baka-MX stopped subbing Fruits Basket when it was licensed but lo and behold out comes Furuba with the rest of the series with a remarkbly similar job. Anime-keep & ANBU were doing Full Metal Alchemist and when that got licensed why here's a group called Spoon with another remarkably similar job.

And in the scheme of things MKV DVD rips are much worse, I for one haven't bought a single Anime dvd since I started getting them since MKV have everything the dvd offers except the menu and packaging.

Whats worse

1/ A fansub churned out in a few days to get the lion share of downloads

or

2/ A dvd rip with both english and japanese audio and 3-4 subtitle streams.

And anime is really insignificant when you see the latest movies, games and music cds released before their release dates. If the authorities could close something down it certainly wouldn't be anime lol

Whats so underground about baka-updates which informs you of the latest anime releases for fansubs and dvd rips? Of course they are doing nothing wrong since they only tell you about stuff and don't have links to them, but an open website like that isn't exactly what I would consider underground.

So far we have ~12000 people signed up an account in Baka-Updates. We are still waiting for the other 2/3 to sign up, so please do so ASAP
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #19   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Lol westlo. How long do you think those guys would hang around after a big anime producing company sends a legal letter? It would be a case of "well we make jack *^*&% off of this site designed for ppl who dont contribute..why should we take the fall for a bunch of leechers?"

10%? B/S.
There is a difference between the other torrents being released (mpaa/riaa stuff) and anime. Its HARD to stop OUR culture's movies from being released, because its already in english.
But how many groups exist who will spend huge amounts of time translating and timing something only to then have to hide who they really are and lose credit? There's no reward for subbing beyond having your name stuck to everything you released. So as soon as a group gets a legal letter, its time to disappear. Whereas many western sites will poke fun at cobra. Lokitorrent was one such site, and not only were they taken out but an anti-leech site replaced it.

Im NOT anti torrent/p2p. I AM anti- "make anime fans look like a pack of leeches". I much prefer the "anime fans are a bunch of lifeless nerds who buy huge amounts of manga and dvd merchandise" image. For one thing, it keeps our industry alive and safe.

Oh and when naruto got licensed? killed the seeds I had been running for 2 weeks for eps 1-25.

I guarantee you. It may not be this year, it may take 5 years. But fansubbers who try and step on other people's business (ie release licensed anime) WILL be neutered for it. Companies pay a lot of money for their licensing/contracts, and they have that money because they're businesses. Businesses dont play nice with competition. And the law is on their side. Anime releasers have neither anonymity or conveniance when it comes to underground subbing. Unlike westerner-movie p2p providers, they can suffer because their numbers are so few & easy to target.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #20   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Lol westlo. How long do you think those guys would hang around after a big anime producing company sends a legal letter? It would be a case of "well we make jack *^*&% off of this site designed for ppl who dont contribute..why should we take the fall for a bunch of leechers?"

What exactly is that site doing wrong?

10%? B/S.

Yeah your right it's more like 5%

But how many groups exist who will spend huge amounts of time translating and timing something only to then have to hide who they really are and lose credit? There's no reward for subbing beyond having your name stuck to everything you released. So as soon as a group gets a legal letter, its time to disappear. Whereas many western sites will poke fun at cobra. Lokitorrent was one such site, and not only were they taken out but an anti-leech site replaced it.

Animeone are still around, baka-anime is still around, anime-kraze is still around, anbu is still around and countless others who have been sent legal letters are still around. The only group who actually folded was anime-junkies and they weren't exactly in a stable posistion as it was.

Im NOT anti torrent/p2p. I AM anti- "make anime fans look like a pack of leeches". I much prefer the "anime fans are a bunch of lifeless nerds who buy huge amounts of manga and dvd merchandise" image. For one thing, it keeps our industry alive and safe.

Animefans are a bunch of leechers

Oh and when naruto got licensed? killed the seeds I had been running for 2 weeks for eps 1-25.

Yet it still being served and released by Animeone who are the second biggest irc channel on rizon with nearlt 3000 members.

I guarantee you. It may not be this year, it may take 5 years. But fansubbers who try and step on other people's business (ie release licensed anime) WILL be neutered for it.

There will always be digitial fansubbers even if there was a lockdown like you think there will be. They will do it to spite the authorities and be more like RNS were they don't seek credit but just release things.
Old 22-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #21   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Westlo
What exactly is that site doing wrong?
Do you even have to ask? The anime industry must recognize that fansubs are an opportunity to promote a product in a test market. And even if you are one of those people that don't believe in buying the product, or if you think most people won't buy what they can get for free, there are still paying customers out there. When subbers distribute AFTER an anime is licensed, it trespassing on property that's just been sold to a new owner, and people should be smart enough to quit before they get their a** in hot water.

Quote:
Yeah your right it's more like 5%
Where did you get your figures? Some biased website or is there anything REAL to support that number?

Quote:
Animeone are still around, baka-anime is still around, anime-kraze is still around, anbu is still around and countless others who have been sent legal letters are still around. The only group who actually folded was anime-junkies and they weren't exactly in a stable posistion as it was.
Those legal letters are probably more specific towards particular anime serieses. If a company wants their newly-licensed anime to sell, they can demand people to stop distributing subs for it. If the company wanted to take out the fansub distributor for good, it would be more than easy to slap on a lawsuit and be done with it. The anime industry doesn't hate fansubs that acknowledge licensing. It's like a symbiotic relationship.

Quote:
Animefans are a bunch of leechers
If you want to be part of the "leechers" go ahead, but don't label all of us in the same manner.

Quote:
Yet it still being served and released by Animeone who are the second biggest irc channel on rizon with nearlt 3000 members.
IRC will probably become the target of legal action in the future. But for now, P2P sharing is too huge to take down.

Quote:
There will always be digitial fansubbers even if there was a lockdown like you think there will be. They will do it to spite the authorities and be more like RNS were they don't seek credit but just release things.
They'd have to be anonymous, because they will be hunted like the criminals that they are. That said, the REAL anime fans will reach into their wallet and support the industry by buying DVDs, soundtracks, merchandise, etc.

People who don't buy from the anime industry are just 2nd rate fans, and are more of a burden than anything else.
Old 22-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #22   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

When subbers distribute AFTER an anime is licensed, it trespassing on property that's just been sold to a new owner, and people should be smart enough to quit before they get their a** in hot water.

Have you looked at the site or did you think to give me a lecture instead? The site simply lists what animes have been subbed that is all, how is that illegal?

Where did you get your figures? Some biased website or is there anything REAL to support that number?

Go over the releases database in Baka-Updates, the amount of groups still active who don't do licensed anime is in a very small minority. It may be sad to you but it's reality.

Those legal letters are probably more specific towards particular anime serieses. If a company wants their newly-licensed anime to sell, they can demand people to stop distributing subs for it. If the company wanted to take out the fansub distributor for good, it would be more than easy to slap on a lawsuit and be done with it. The anime industry doesn't hate fansubs that acknowledge licensing. It's like a symbiotic relationship.

Thats all nice and that but Pengi said "Legal letter" which they have recieved and are still around.

If you want to be part of the "leechers" go ahead, but don't label all of us in the same manner.

You have never downloaded an mp3? Copped a bootleg movie, chipped your playstation, installed a friends game and cracked it? Please everyone does at least one of these things if you don't then you are a rare gem.

IRC will probably become the target of legal action in the future. But for now, P2P sharing is too huge to take down.

Doubt it.

They'd have to be anonymous, because they will be hunted like the criminals that they are. That said, the REAL anime fans will reach into their wallet and support the industry by buying DVDs, soundtracks, merchandise, etc.

People who don't buy from the anime industry are just 2nd rate fans, and are more of a burden than anything else.

Criminals lmao have you jaywalked or littered at least once? Your a criminal too.
Old 22-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #23   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Westlo
Have you looked at the site or did you think to give me a lecture instead? The site simply lists what animes have been subbed that is all, how is that illegal?
That's not illegal. I was referring to sites that distribute fansubs of licensed anime.

Quote:
Go over the releases database in Baka-Updates, the amount of groups still active who don't do licensed anime is in a very small minority. It may be sad to you but it's reality.
They're making themselves targets. If I was in the industry, I would take legal action.

Quote:
Thats all nice and that but Pengi said "Legal letter" which they have recieved and are still around.
What does that letter entail? Do you know? If a company sends a letter like that they are prepared to act on it. A demand unknown to yourself may have been met by the recipients of that letter.

Quote:
You have never downloaded an mp3? Copped a bootleg movie, chipped your playstation, installed a friends game and cracked it? Please everyone does at least one of these things if you don't then you are a rare gem.
Mp3? Yes, but I get rid of them if I don't like them. And if I like them, I buy the CD. For Christ's sake I only own over half a thousand CDs imported from Japan. Bootleg movie? Once, but I bought the DVD when it came out. Mod chip? No. Use games I don't own? No. I use roms of games I own, but that's legal.

Quote:
Doubt it.
Don't be so quick to doubt, several bittorrent sites have been attacked. If the anime industry ever gets as angry as the RIAA, there will be more sites attacked.

Quote:
Criminals lmao have you jaywalked or littered at least once? Your a criminal too.
No. I respect the law (sometimes I drive 5mph over the speed limit OH MY GOD ). Maybe you should respect the law too.
Old 22-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #24   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

That's not illegal. I was referring to sites that distribute fansubs of licensed anime.

Thats nice but why quote me then since I wasn't talking about them?

They're making themselves targets. If I was in the industry, I would take legal action.

But your not.

What does that letter entail? Do you know? If a company sends a letter like that they are prepared to act on it. A demand unknown to yourself may have been met by the recipients of that letter.

The letter Aone recieved were along the lines of please stop all distrubution and fansubbing of ADV material. Did I mention I know the three founding members of Aone? Let's see there Deepwalker who still pops in every now and again and SilentVoice & Angelic Layer both from maylasia

Don't be so quick to doubt, several bittorrent sites have been attacked. If the anime industry ever gets as angry as the RIAA, there will be more sites attacked.

Taking down bittorrent sites is like shooting fish in a barrell, the fansubbing industry was suriving easily off IRC, newsgroups and P2P programs let alone bittorrent.

Mp3? Yes, but I get rid of them if I don't like them. And if I like them, I buy the CD. For Christ's sake I only own over half a thousand CDs imported from Japan. Bootleg movie? Once, but I bought the DVD when it came out. Mod chip? No. Use games I don't own? No. I use roms of games I own, but that's legal.

No. I respect the law (sometimes I drive 5mph over the speed limit OH MY GOD ). Maybe you should respect the law too.

Why aren't you a gem, a unpolished one but still a gem.
Old 22-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #25   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Oh hey, you must be better than me. Wait a second...no you're not.
Old 22-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #26   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

*yawns*

Aren't you the girl who threatened to take off Schizms balls?

Btw did you call MTV to Pimp My Ride?
Old 22-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #27   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

wtf is wrong with you?
Old 22-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #28   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

So you aren't the girl who verbally assaulted Schizm?
Old 22-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #29   [permalink]
Zachalmighty

Send a message via AIM to Zachalmighty Send a message via MSN to Zachalmighty
Wtf happened to my topic?
Its turned into an argument between people about a topic that i never brought up! This is crazeeeeeeeeey. Im not asking for something for nothing i just meant that i wanted to know about good anime that is perchance fansubbed!
Zachalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #30   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

*slaps the fukk outta this leacher*

Go play somewhere I'm busy