Old 23-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #1   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Anime titles that will do well if done in US live-action miniseries

First of all, this is all assuming that everything is done RIGHT in terms of story. And by "done right in terms of story," I mean story and names of major characters are kept, all secondary places/characters/events could be changed, ala The Ring. I don't want to hear "nothing, the US will ruin every single anime series evar1111," I want thoughtful and fun posts.

Now, I'm sure all of us here has had the thought, "Wow, this anime would be a GREAT live action tv-series." In fact, there's a lot that will do amazingly well if transitioned into a US (or any other country with main stream appeal) miniseries. The first thing that popped in my head was GTO. I'm watching the GTO live action series, and if that whole thing was made into a US miniseries on HBO, then I'm sure the damn show would win some freakin' emmy's.

The second series that I thought would transition REALLY REALLY WELL would be Gungrave. I've only watched until episode 16, but the entire flashback "saga" is pure gold and would be a ratings hit.

Now, I'm sure someone will say Cowboy Bebop, but I'm betting that the idea of "Space Cowboy Mafia Men Bounty Hunters" wouldn't bode well in a pitch

Any other titles?

(if I ever DID have any power in the media (hopefully after I graduate), I would personally recomend an anime for a pitch for a movie/tv series)
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #2   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Quite frankly,I don't think any live action US-made movie could ever stand up to an anime.And i don't mean that in a "US sucks,Japan rocks" kind of way.Even if the plots and characters are maintained,the average american's views of asian culture would ruin it in the end.

Just think how Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone,became Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone in the american version because they were afraid the average person wouldn't know what the Philosopher's Stone is.A small detail that seems unimportant changed the movie's title.Just imagine how Hollywood would butcher asian customs and mannerisms.
Old 24-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #3   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

I disagree. Hollywood has the capability to do some amazing things, and some of their adaptions of foreign films sometimes surpase the original. America's version of the Ring was, I feel, a much better movie than the original Japanese in terms of plot and scripting. The original had some major plot holes which the American's seemed to have tidied up.

While I haven't seen the orginal Grudge, I thought the American version was done very well. The fact that it was even set in Japan makes me think that there weren't too many changes, but hopefully someone who has seen both could verify that.

It seems to me that were America to do an adaption of an anime series, it could very well go either way. The most important factor would be the people behind the production. Were it to be done by people who knew the anime and knew the culture behind it, I feel they could do a very good job (the Matrix for example). However it were to fall into the usual Hollywood trap, ie production by committee, then we'll end up with the situation we all fear.

As for anime series, I think Cowboy Bebop is exactly the sort of series Hollywood studios would be interested in. Berserk possibly because of it's strong european medieval influences which American audiences could relate to. Maybe Bubblegum Crises so long as its central themes and cyberpunk feel weren't funked with.

Last edited by Lurker; 24-03-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #4   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by Lurker
Were it to be done by people who knew the anime and knew the culture behind it, I feel they could do a very good job
That's the problem.An american marketing and producing team would no doubt make all these little changes to make the series more "identifiable" by an american audience,without knowing(and maybe not even caring) that these changes ruined the content of the series.

Let's face it,Hollywood's out there to make money,so between changing the series to attract more viewers and keeping true to the anime,what do you think they'd choose?
Old 24-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #5   [permalink]
kamikazefstorm
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to kamikazefstorm
And to think, america has been doing this for years and years! *groans* Arrgg..... the misery.....will it ever end.......
kamikazefstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 11:28 PM   #6   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Originally Posted by Darklightz
Quite frankly,I don't think any live action US-made movie could ever stand up to an anime.And i don't mean that in a "US sucks,Japan rocks" kind of way.Even if the plots and characters are maintained,the average american's views of asian culture would ruin it in the end.

Just think how Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone,became Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone in the american version because they were afraid the average person wouldn't know what the Philosopher's Stone is.A small detail that seems unimportant changed the movie's title.Just imagine how Hollywood would butcher asian customs and mannerisms.
Well, like I said in the first post, let's assume that everything is done right and just talk about what anime titles would be great if done in US live-action.

But since we're on the topic, of course things are going to be changed. I mean, it's totally expected of Hollywood (exception of indies though). With the case of anime, it would be pretty stupid to make a US version if all asian mannerisms are there. So how bout this, how bout we give some titles that would be great as a US live action series if everything was retained as well as titles that would be great as live action if stuff ARE changed.

In the case of if things are changed; I still think GTO would be an award winner. By changed, i mean names and places (obviously, title as well) but not the basic plot points (accompanied by great acting). I was thinking about how the setting would turn out to be like a private school in Connecticut or an international school in Japan (which would actually work, America's interest in Japan is very high, with shows like Tom Green, Dave Attel, and Jackass doing shows in Japan). anyhow, before anyone rebuts me about how it won't be GTO anymore; I agree. What I'm suggesting is practically being based of... and not an actual, screen by screen transition.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 01:01 AM   #7   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
  • Blue Submarine No. 6
  • The Castle of Cagliostro
  • Record of Lodoss War OVA
All of them are within the bounds of a number of talented actors, directors, writers, and producers. All have visual and thematic elements that are easily translated to a miniseries. With Castle, one could pad the story with escapades from the TV series.
Old 29-03-2005, 03:54 AM   #8   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Hmm Castle of Cagliostro would be a good live action is done well, actually the Lupin III series would translate well into a live action with the whole cat burgular esque comedy.

I also think Gunsmith Cats would go well, maybe because the anime and manga itself is set in Chicago.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote