Old 25-04-2005, 11:56 PM   #16   [permalink]
WierdIsraeli
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to WierdIsraeli Send a message via AIM to WierdIsraeli
Originally Posted by oppa
Haha, it kinda reminds me of Quantum Leap with RPG elements. Ok, too early to make such a weird comparison... I gotta wait until they jump dimensions again. Hehehe, sorry, don't ask me why I totally thought QL when the witch said they can go to diff dimensions but they have no control over which one.
Actually, more like Sliders, if you'd ask me.
Quote:
"Work best under the pressure of impending death."
WierdIsraeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 03:19 AM   #17   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Originally Posted by Fatal Outlaw
I want the OST, now.
There's this one piece of BGM I absolutely love, episode one when they appear infront of Yuuko. Just love it!

Anway episode 3 yeah still wasn't that terribly interesting, and Kurogane looked awkwardly lanky especially when he was taking on those punk gang members. But still again like I said it's still only the beginning of the series.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 07:52 AM   #18   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Sliders. I thought of that as well, but I never watched it so I wasn't quite sure about using it as a (very loose) comparison. I know the jist of it, but not enough to use. In any case, after three eps, saying it's like QL is quite farfetched... then again, it was a thought that popped in my head, if anything.

Oooh, and finally some chars that I'm familiar with: Sorata and Arashi. Heh, almost felt like it was a lil treat for those that watched X, given how things turned out for those two there.

The pacing has slowed a bit, but it's still been interesting. And I have to say so as well, that the OST is tight. After three eps, it's easy to say that I will definitely continue following this series. Hell, I'd follow it just to see if I can catch some more cameos.
Old 28-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #19   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

Sounds like an interesting series. Could somebody give me the gist of what it's about so I can decide if it's worth downloading? All my googling has been able to turn up is a bunch of otaku frothing at the mouth about the different characters...
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #20   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I wasnt happy with the length of the stock footage used in ep 3. I have a deep distrust of anime which feels the need to 'remind' its viewers constantly and excessively about everything that happened previously. In fact, the best anime dont seem to do it at all.

If in ep 2 the witch says "you will see identical versions of people you already know in other dimensions", when you see an identical person, you dont need to repeat the whole goddamn sequence of events that starred that person, then repeat her saying it. It makes the anime seem cheap.

Speaking of cheap anime, I just watched first ep of one called 'Kiddy Grade'. Id heard the name before so finally decided to rent it. =( =(
I knew I made a mistake in the first 30 seconds when I saw panties from every angle. Damned ecchi fans. Oh well. It was balanced by 'Iria' and 'Infinite Ryvius'.
I wonder how anime like 'Infinite Ryvius' make it to our shores. There's no shortage of really popular anime, yet the dubbing companies sure pick some obscure titles to buy. (Im not saying anything bad about Ryvius, just thought that if I were an American company Id just buyout whatever's popular on the torrent networks)
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #21   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Yea, the flashbacks were annoying, but it didn't detract me from the series. At least, not yet. If it becomes recurring, then I'll have problems.

Lurker, check out AniDB .
Old 28-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #22   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Flashbacks are annoying,but not as bad as a goody two-shoe speech,so i can bear with it.I just hope Syaoran won't go into a speech about how he has to protect Sakura etc,etc...

Pengi_Ken-Ohki : You should watch a couple more episodes of Kiddy Grade,I know it has fanservice in the beginning,but it quickly turns into a suspense-action series.It also contains a couple of philosophical questions that are intriguing
Old 28-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #23   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Originally Posted by Lurker
Sounds like an interesting series. Could somebody give me the gist of what it's about so I can decide if it's worth downloading? All my googling has been able to turn up is a bunch of otaku frothing at the mouth about the different characters...
I'm going to do this similar to my social sciences homework, in two sentences.

Syaoran and Sakura are from the country of clow, and after an ancient excavation site reacts, Sakura's memories gets scattered in different dimensions. Syaoran then gets sent to the Dimensional Witch, who then sends him and two others on a dimension trip to recover sakura's memories.

But yea, I LOVE CLAMP, so it's my favorite series right now.

As for the flashbacks, I think some people need it. Some people can only remember so much, and there's a 7-day gap between episodes. It's also good for people who started watching at episode 3, or to people who missed episode 2.

Quote:
(Im not saying anything bad about Ryvius, just thought that if I were an American company Id just buyout whatever's popular on the torrent networks)
HA. You should see what's on the shelves here (I'm assuming your in Australia like 75% of the people here?) absolute CRAP, especially manga.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 11:56 PM   #24   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Yeh I never got into manga because Australia's just not set up for it. Years and years ago I bought 6 volumes of .. no im not going to tell you actually. I didnt know it was a girl's manga!!

Anywho, at $20 a volume, thats just not worth it.

I know manga is shared online as well as anime.. but once again its just not worth my effort to seek out.
As far as renting anime goes, a lot of the stores have shoddy collections still full of older style anime (Winds of Amnesia, DragonballZ, Pokemon, Robotech, Evangelion, Ranma).
However if you use online renting (americans: netflix, Australians: Quickflix.com.au or Bigpond's renting service) their collections are quite thorough. I have seen a huge amount of anime since starting with quickflix. There's so damned much out there. No Australian really has the right to say "I download because the local collections are crap". It should be 'i download cos it isnt out here yet".or at least thats my attitude.

I'll watch the next few eps of Kiddy Grade..it better turn out ok. Id checked Animenfo.com right before popping the DVD in and it promised me a series about corruption and stuff. So I was dismayed to see panty shots, lipstick weapons, and conflict resolution that even a 5yo would think was lame.
Old 30-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #25   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
http://www.holic-tsubasa.com/tsubasa.html

Hmm besides the upcoming XXXHolic movie, it looks like Tsubasa will also be getting a movie. That I never knew about until I read it on ANN. Both out in August. Is excited.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #26   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Originally Posted by orochi X
http://www.holic-tsubasa.com/tsubasa.html

Hmm besides the upcoming XXXHolic movie, it looks like Tsubasa will also be getting a movie. That I never knew about until I read it on ANN. Both out in August. Is excited.
Me as well, but I was wondering if the series will finish in july with 13 episodes and will be concluded with the movie. Hopefully not as I wish Tsubasa will get 26 eps.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #27   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

There was definately more than 13 pieces of the girl flying everywhere. Itd need some hella quick conflict resolution to fit in 13.

Hell, its kinda like Inuyasha now that I think about it..or Sonic the Hedgehog, or half a dozen other "go to each place and collect a piece by beating someone down" storylines.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #28   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Hell, its kinda like Inuyasha now that I think about it..or Sonic the Hedgehog, or half a dozen other "go to each place and collect a piece by beating someone down" storylines.
Yeah,I was a bit disappointed it turned out this way.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #29   [permalink]
WierdIsraeli
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to WierdIsraeli Send a message via AIM to WierdIsraeli
There was definately more than 13 pieces of the girl flying everywhere. Itd need some hella quick conflict resolution to fit in 13.

There's nothing wrong in wanting to beat someone in order to find something.
so the plot isn't original, if that what bothers you from watching it, then don't.
Quote:
"Work best under the pressure of impending death."
WierdIsraeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #30   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Who knows, someone might actually show up with all of them, like in [inuyasha spoilers] Inuyasha, Naraku just showed up out of nowhere with 3/4ths of the jewel.

As for Tsubasa being another one of "those" titles, well, yes it is, but they're always different. The one thing I loved about CLAMP is there storytelling and characters.

Anyhow, I just watched 4 and I am in love with the series. Hope this one gets picked up by Geneon in the summer.