Old 08-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #1   [permalink]
cr8ter

Thumbs up What do you think about Neon Genesis Evangelion?

It's most probibly my favorite anime ever. Most people hated it because they couldn't understand it, but ones you realize that there is actually no main story behind it and look beyond the story you see, you will find something really amazing
cr8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #2   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
what do I think about Eva? I think there's a forum for it.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Eva. It's not like I didn't understand it, but it's just the fact that it's too complicated. Also, I don't think stuff in there are actually expereinced by real world 14 yr olds, in Japan, US, Australia, anywhere.

Regardless, it's one of the most popular anime series' ever, and should be viewed by everyone.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #3   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Cut'em some slack Fatal Outlaw, it's their first post!! j/k Anyways, I think that EVA is probably one of the greatest if not the greatest anime of all time. It certainly ranks up there. It gives viewers alot to think about when watching, not to mention the fact you can view it multiple times and still learn something new that you didn't quite catch the first time around. Definately has alot of replay value as it still going on strong. This is anime that should definately be viewed by anime fans.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #4   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
I've never seen it but I am interested in it. I plan to get some of its DVDs.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #5   [permalink]
Schizm
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted by cr8ter
Most people hated it because they couldn't understand it

My n00b=ADdispatcher
Schizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 AM   #6   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Quote:
Says cr8ter:
It's most probibly my favorite anime ever. Most people hated it because they couldn't understand it, but ones you realize that there is actually no main story behind it and look beyond the story you see, you will find something really amazing
Welcome to Animeboards, cr8ter.

I rank the anime in my top ten.

We do indeed have a forum reserved for Neon Genesis Evangelion; two, in fact. Please post your NGE-related topics over there. I'll move this thread into the Eva Chit Chat forum.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #7   [permalink]
cr8ter

Thanks for the welcome, I didn't know how you sorted it so searched under the full name and didn't find anything, but I know now
cr8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #8   [permalink]
Zalbag Beoulve

I loved NGE . I don't think I will ever fully understand it, but it's still good. I wish to understand more though. Me trying to overanalyze something just ends up with me being more confused. NGE is definitely an anime all should watch that are interested in anime, even if you end up hating it, loving it, confused by it, or become depressed by it.
Zalbag Beoulve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #9   [permalink]
RiPPa
Executive Member

It's definitly one of my favourite animes and one of the reasons I think it's so popular is because the debates about the reason or truth behind the events, the stories theology, its symbolism and anything else that is a mystery in the Eva world
People just love to expand their understanding and evaluate it in order to get some deeper understanding or to know what the hell is going on in the first place
RiPPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #10   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

I think it was a defining moment in anime and will certainly stand up as one of the premier shows of all time, but I don't hold it as one of my favourite anime's. Personally I like something with a bit more of a conclusion than NGE.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #11   [permalink]
Varney 2

Weird tone, but brilliant.
Beautiful design and narration.

Anno's style of storytelling is like no other.

And as a psychological study it even works.
Varney 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #12   [permalink]
David Ikari
Forum Master

Evangelion was a pretty good anime. When I was in High School, it started to get me thinking about the things happening in my life, and also pushed me towards a path of having such a cheery outlook on life.

Funny, that. It took a patheticly angstry teen and giant robots to do that. ^^

One of my friends is hosting an Evangelion night, where he'll be showing the entire series to his friends. There will be two sessions. One for people who don't talk through movies, and one for people who do.

NGE is a lasting series, with a story and message that wont go out of style. It's good.
David Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #13   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by cr8ter
It's one of the first anime I've seen, and still the best; Not only in the realm of anime, but in any sort of medium. You're right, there's no outwardly distinguishable story, but the motif is certainly the personal struggle of Shinji. I think one of the criticisms of it is the appearance of using symbols randomly without purpose (by people who can't "understand" it?)...... but if you think about them carefully, you can deduce a method to the madness..... I think this is due in part to the director's passion for the work.

Originally Posted by Zalbag Beouvle
NGE is definitely an anime all should watch that are interested in anime, even if you end up hating it, loving it, confused by it, or become depressed by it.
I'd be interested to know why people become depressed by NGE the series - given that it shows the raw emotions that modern society so desperately tries to cover up.

Originally Posted by Varney 2
And as a psychological study it even works.
I've always thought NGE would form a good basis for an end of year summer project or a PhD maybe. I did manage to slip in a sentence about NGE in my HRM essay back at university.

Originally Posted by David Ikari
Funny, that. It took a patheticly angstry teen and giant robots to do that.
--Is that because there is a pathetic angsty teen in all of us.........
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 AM   #14   [permalink]
David Ikari
Forum Master

It's either the angsty teen or the giant robot. Probably both. Hopefully the latter.
David Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:03 PM   #15   [permalink]
RiPPa
Executive Member

Whats not to understand
RiPPa is offline   Reply With Quote