Old 12-06-2005, 10:47 PM   #1   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

Zipang

Is anybody else watching this series?

For those that haven't heard of it, it's about a modern Japanese AEGIS destroyer that is transported back to 1942, sort of an anime version of Final Countdown.

The attention to detail in this show is astonishing. Either somebody in the production staff has actually served on an AEGIS destroyer before, or they've gotten some good technical advisors.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 04:28 AM   #2   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
What I like about this serie is that it ventured in the quantum leap area, in what if they do something that change history as they know it. Also Lt. Kusaka is a nice addition to the suspension since we don't know what his objectives is or if he really considered himself dead.
Takahashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 04:38 AM   #3   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

Personally I don't trust him. He's an intelligence officer, he'll recognize how much of an advantage the Mirai and especially the knowledge of the future could be to Japan's war effort.
Old 14-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #4   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

I'm leaning towards that as theory as well. Especially the way he rushes the learning proces in the library as he might not have a second chance if they are not able to capture the Mirai. Although he can read about how well Japan has fared after the war, there is always the patriotisme that drive men to do suicide bombing(Kamikaze), it would eventually lead to a train of less desirable thoughts of how they could use the knowledge on the Mirai to turn the tide of the war in favour of Japan.
Old 14-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #5   [permalink]
Lurker
Forum Addicted

There's also the need to prevent such disasters as Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the fire bombing of Tokyo. I'm betting he won't make his move until some time after they secure the fuel and supplies from Singapore, he'll use that mission to gain their trust and maybe set up an opportunity later on.
Old 15-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #6   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

I think he is waiting for a chance to safely capture the Mirai without a lot of damage to it, cause a lot of the technology would be lost if they were to take it by force, which could be invaluable since this is near the end of WWII. They don't have time to research and manufacture ground to air missiles that could knock down the B29 that are gonna drop the nukes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, not to mention 20st century state of the art computers, weapons and radar systems.

Last edited by Takahashi; 16-06-2005 at 04:17 PM. Reason: wrong fact
Old 19-06-2005, 12:33 AM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Ahh, I remember final countdown.

This anime sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote