Old 06-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #31   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Well, it's official...Wallace and Vomit, oops, I mean Wallace and Grommit won....
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #32   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Twas the fan favourite so no surprise there I was more shocked by some of the other upsets the oscars provided yesterday!
Old 13-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #33   [permalink]
Gunblade
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gunblade Send a message via AIM to Gunblade
Guys, anyonew know if there's any difference between the UK and US DVD releases? It looks like some different extras...
While that may be nick picking it does make me think
Gunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #34   [permalink]
Gundam_pilot01
Executive Member

Just got it on DVD today, and I have to say that I regret not seeing this in the cinema when it was out, I loved it! I am so happy to see that Miyazaki has brought out another amazing movie, the story and artwork were brilliant.
This is definetly going on my top favourites, along with Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

10/10 A Masterpiece.
Old 26-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #35   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I like the movie, but I think it would have been better if it'd felt just a little less disjointed. I.e. if Miyazaki'd put in more character development or explanation of what was going on sometimes. Or maybe if it'd followed the book more closely, it would have felt more cohesive.

Sidenote: Howl's seiyuu has one sexy voice.
Old 29-05-2006, 01:16 AM   #36   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
Just watched it today, finally! I have to agree with dheu, some more background on the whole war situation would of been nice. I mean what were Suliman's motivation, why did she abruptly decide to call off the war in the end?

But other than that it was quite an enjoyable movie, the moving castle was stunning and I quite liked the cast of characters. Though I can't say it's up there among my favourite Miyazaki films though.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #37   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Originally Posted by orochi X
I mean what were Suliman's motivation, why did she abruptly decide to call off the war in the end?
Yeah, that always bugged me. Why did, all of a sudden, she just basically say, "Alright, let's call this stupid war off," when all along she seemed to be strongly supporting it?

Soon after I watched the movie for the first time, I read the book. I highly recommend it to anyone who was confused by the movie. It's a quick read, but it's very well-written and very enjoyable. I love the book, definitely a lot more than the movie. It's fun to see everything animated, but in comparison to the book, the movie comes up way short.

For one thing, in the book, the war isn't even taking place; it is merely something looming in the future. That would explain why the war scenario in the movie felt a bit off, because it had no background to go off of, and why Suliman so abruptly dropped the war at the end of the movie. Miyazaki inserted a war out of nowhere. The ending of the book is radically different from the ending of the movie, and it's much more fulfilling in my opinion.

That's not to say I'm being elitist and saying that the movie HAS to be the same as the book. I'm merely pointing out that, though the movie stands well enough on its own, it might have been overall a much more entertaining movie if it'd followed the book more closely, since then we wouldn't have been left with the feeling that something wasn't quite being explained.