Old 02-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #1   [permalink]
Harima Kenji

Send a message via AIM to Harima Kenji
Post Suzuka TV

Well, I may as well post something about this anime. I read some reviews about it, watched some pics and so on, and I think this anime looks great so far. I'll probably start watching it once is release. Does anybody has any more information about it?

Let me give you some information I found through the internet.
Suzuka TV
Suzuka TV @ Tokyo
Harima Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
I just finished watching the first episode and I must say that I liked it alot. I especially liked the OP and ED music. Really sets the tone for the anime. Well on to the spoilers.

Spoiler:
Looks like this one is a Sports/Drama which really sits well with me since I love sports anime. I felt a bit relaxed watching this. The characters were pretty decent. Asahina and Yamato really looked good together. The only thing that kind of ruined the episode for me was the two drunk girls. I mean, why? They really felt out of place here. I guess this was to off-set the mood of anime which was pretty serious, so I don't want to make too much of a fuss out of it. What's more unique about this is that this sports anime deals with Track and Field, so you know that the "action" is going to be fast paced. Overall, I think this could be one of the best anime this year. But I'll hold judgement on that untill I get a chance to meet the other characters and see how they gell together on screen.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #3   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
It looks like a new anime so it won't show up in the U.S. until somewhere near 2008. I just check it out and saw that it is more than just sports. If it's only about sports then I'll pass but there's also a romance in between so I'll think about it when it release.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 05:12 AM   #4   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Spoiler:
Watched the second episode today. I must say that this really refreshing to watch since the characters aren't totally stupid or annoying. (With the exception of the "drunk girls" but they were on their best behavior this episode.) The relationship between Asahina and Yamato is also nice. There's a little hostility but not to point that Yamato is getting beat up or anything. Unlike Sagara from Full Metal Panic! and Kitaro from Love Hina. The relationship here is just right. I believe that this one of the best male to female character relationship since Ai Yori Aoshi which was very touching show itself.

A new character named Yasunobu was introduced this episode. Watching him also gave off a good vibe as he wasn't annoying at all. A very tolerable character whom is on-point with the ladies. He also ends up helping out Yamato, which I thought was pretty cool.

As far as story plot is concerned, I don't think anything significant is going to happen yet untill they get to school, which is next episode. This anime is definately a must watch for people whom like drama type anime like Ai Yori Aoshi.
Old 25-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #5   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

That's odd,I got the opposite reaction.I hate those ultra slow romances where it takes a character an entire episode just to say a particular sentence.Also there's no other obstacle other than Suzuka herself yet,wich makes it very boring.I dunno,maybe i got used to the crazyness of harem animes,but this series just seems bland.

At least now that Yasunobu has shown up he'll be able to push Yamato when he needs it.
Old 25-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #6   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Finished watching episode 3. Looks there maybe some other obstacles for Yamato as you wanted Darklightz. On to the Spoilers:

Spoiler:
Damn that Yasunobu!! It's hard to tell what his intentions are. Just when you think he's trying to do something good, he ends up stirring bad stuff in the pot so to speak. I don't know whether he's trying to push Yamato to or away from Asahina. But for the most part, his intentions seem good as of right now. I think he may fall for her, but I may be wrong.

The obstacle I was talking about is Sakurai Honoka. Her and Yamato used to know each other back then at the shrine where Yamato and Asahina visited in episode 2. It turns out that she actually lived there. Back then Sakurai ended up denting the shrine bell and Yamato fixed for her. It became their "little secret". Actually now that I've seen Sakurai, I think her and Yamato would make a better couple since they have the same personality almost. Neverthless, time will tell though.

The plot of the episode was okay. Yamato ended up catching a cold helping Asahina get sports drinks for her team by waiting outside for 5 hours after her practice was done. Then of course he was kept at home where Yasunobu ended up bring Sakurai along. But all he could talk about was how Asahina didn't come to see him. Sakurai decides that she was going to cook something for him so she left his house and came back several hours later. By then Yasunobu and Sattori were at his room eating the food that Sakurai made for Yamato, so things didn't go well for Sakurai. Enter Asahina where she finally visits Yamato after everyone else leaves. She brings him some Lemon Tea with Honey.....Only without the honey!!! Then she brought over some boiled eggs....Without boiling them!!! She put them in the microwave! Yamato was still grateful that she came and ended up eating everything. That's were the episode ends.

Like I said before Sakurai may be an obstacle, but for right now Yamato is definately focused on Asahina, which is a good thing. Now if Asahina wasn't so damn stubborn.....
Old 16-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #7   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Wow, haven't been here in a while since I took a hiatus from Anime/Manga.

I finally got back in and this was one of the first series' I went back and watched. Just finished it a couple days ago, so thought I'd bump this bad boy up to see if any of the previous posters kept up with it.

Let's start with the negatives. Watching this series was like reading a manga as a slideshow. What was the budget for this anime, 10 bucks? Sure, the art, at most times, turned out solid, but the animation was horrid. Recycling scenes, little to no background animation... hell, I think southpark has more animated scenes then this one did.

Ok, with that out of the way, I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Using as much patience as possible to ignore the lack of animation, and the fact that the stories were spaced out a bit much which made it seem slow... I did enjoy it alot.

It's hard to say any anime is "realistic" but the characters and their relations were more realistic then your typical shoune romance comedy / harem / etc. This anime took much of the typical "been there done that" characters and plots and actually surprised me on several occasions. When watching anime of this type, one can normally guess what will happen next and how a character will act/react... but this one threw in quite a few curveballs that kept me paying attention.

Low to medium angst level, decent comedy, and solid characters... yep, I enjoyed it. Not the best ending, but this isn't the end of the Suzuka storyline so it's not bad. At least, and this is from hearsay, the anime ended using a scene from the manga, and not with something completely made up (i.e. MSN.. omg, wth were the last few eps of that about!).

Once I catch up on the manga (started from the beginning), I'm greatly anticipating what unfolds after the ending scene from the anime.

This is probably the first anime I watched that I have just as many complaints of it as I do praises... just as the anime itself, my thoughts on it are rather confused, BUT, I do believe I liked it alot.
Old 16-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I finished watching this about a week ago. Towards the end, I felt annoyed with Suzuka and Yamato. They were both selfish and stubborn characters whom I felt no emotional reaction to. Honoka on the other hand was completely different. She was probably the most mature character on the anime out of everyone. In the end, I think that Suzuka and Yamato both deserve each other, because of selfish and stubborn nature. The real question is how long will the relationship last. I read that episode 26 ends at chapter 72 of the manga with about a 100 chapters done. I'm really hesistant to continue with this though as it annoyed me enough just watching it.
Old 17-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #9   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Spoilers abound. All over the place. I'm too lazy to mark just the spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Selfish and stubborn, also indecisive, immature, and impulsive. Yep, both Suzuka and Yamato fit those descriptions. Why am I not as annoyed by them as I should? They're both only 15 years old. In a somewhat realistic context, kids at that age can be like that in regards to relationships.

This is part of the reason I enjoyed the characters. They made rash decisions, based on little knowledge, and much on just what they felt was right. Both of Yamato's confessions, his drive to be better at track to impress Suzuka, his hooking up with Honoka purely because he noticed she was cute after she kissed him.. all these were impulsive. Many people think they like someone because of a certain event, but it may not really be a "like" or "love" towards that person. Yamato said it himself, that he was just "going with the flow." Things would happen and it would drive his feelings in a particular direction... again, 15 year old kid letting situations determine what he feels... all to common I'd say.

Suzuka suffered something no person should ever go through. About 8 years ago, one of my closest friends lost his girlfriend. He was quite a laid back guy. We joked often and such, but after that instance, he changed drastically. This lasted for years. Even today, he's not the same person he was then. It took him 5 years before he finally began dating again... I'm happy to say that he's happily married now with 3 lovely daughters.

The point of that is Suzuka's bitchy and cold attitude towards Yamato was because she had an interest in him from the beginning, but her tormented past kept causing her to distance herself from Yamato. Sure, it's cliche'd, the main character liking the one girl that is the meanest of all the girls, but being that young and having to go through something like losing someone you loved... I can't hate Suzuka for being how she is.

Well, this little essay was much longer then I planned... probably unecessary but given that I typed it all already, hell if I'm not gonna post it now.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention the manga. I've read all that I could find. About 10 or so chapters are from after the anime ending. It started off episodic (one-shot chapters on Yamato and Suzuka's relationship), but near the end, it started getting interesting. But, alas, I can't do anything about it until more come out. It's becoming more cliche'd now, but it's rare to read a shounen romance/comedy on characters that are already together, so I'll no doubt keep following this one. Actually, the only one I can think of atm is Ai Yori Aoshi. Kare Kano is another one, but that one's Shoujo. Oh, but I digress... I want more manga dammit.

Last edited by oppa; 17-01-2006 at 11:33 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #10   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I feel what you're saying oppa, but they really it took it took it to the extreme, especially Suzuka. It was quite ridiculous watching her reject Yamato time and time again because her friend died, which was horrible, I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but she should've been honest with him from the get go, instead of repeatedly dragging Yamato's face in the mud. It almost became painful for me to watch because no matter how hard he tried, the situation just got worse and worse. To be honest, as the series went on, Yamato got stronger and Suzuka got weaker which resulted in her finally just throwing in the towel. I'll be the first one to admit that I admired Yamato for sticking with his guns and not backing down from what he wants, but again it was kind of annoying watching him, especially when kept sabbatoging his chances by being incensitive, or better words "a lack of common sense" or he probably could've had her a long time ago.

It's hard because I really tried to enjoy the show, but in the end, the characters weren't too memorable for me. Honoka made the show watchable as she matured with time. I hope that she's able to find a person that will love and accept her.

I think I may change my mind and continue with the series, just to see if Yamato will mess things up.
Old 18-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #11   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Yeah, I feel ya too. I will admit that there was some exaggeration and "overly dramatic acting", but, the fact that you got so aggravated by Suzuka, and the fact that you felt so bad for Yamato... wouldn't you call that "good acting" if you were watching something live?

As sometimes unrealistically extreme as it was, if the emotions put out by the characters are felt by the audience, then I do believe the "actors" are doing their job.

I despised Suzuka. The first half.. no, up until the last few episodes, I hated her. I kept telling my friend, who was the one that told me to watch it, how much I hated her. Well, I should be more accurate. It's just easier saying you hate someone, hehe. I was very aggravated by her. Her attitude, demeaner... everything. But you know what? So was Yamato. The only difference is that initially, he liked her, and that's what kept him from actually hating her. It's obvious that he was VERY aggravated by her, but kept at it because of this little thing called "love."

That's why I liked her character. Other characters like Naru from Love Hina never gave me that sense of aggravation, no matter how poorly they treated the MC. Suzuka was the first one that did.

Hehe, anyway, I'm not trying to convince you or deter what you think of the show. I just enjoy discussing things, heh. It's a bit strange that it a show like this is what set me off, but oh well.

EDIT: Oh, and about Honoka. I'd have to disagree. I say that she was the most immature of them all, even at the end. It's a tired, done story where a girl likes a guy because of a childhood memory, but to hold onto that, even after being rejected, will never help a person grow. Plus, she only seemed mature on the outside. But, that's the case with most of the chars in this anime. BUT, again, I have to emphasize that they're all 15. I don't expect any 15 year old to display ANY level of maturity. At all.

Without ruining too much, the manga after the anime started something where I'd say Honoka could mature greatly from, even if it was a bit cliche'd, heh.

Last edited by oppa; 18-01-2006 at 02:41 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 03:52 AM   #12   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Are you kidding about Honoka? You've got to be....she was WAY more mature than Suzuka. We must have been watching a different Honoka or something. Episode 25 said it all about how Honoka's personality really changed at that point. She accepted the fact that Yamato liked Suzuka and did her best to push Suzuka forward in Yamato's direction. Suzuka was the one throwing crazy fits on how Honoka didn't understand or blah blah blah. Honoka grew up significantly considering the fact that she was done dirty by Yamato and Suzuka. Having to watch Yamato still have feelings for Suzuka, while Suzuka denies her feelings but she secretly liked Yamato. All the more hardache for Honoka. I'm pretty sure's she's feeling the most painful right now as she has to push forward the person she really liked into the arms of a person whom really didn't want to acknowledge his existence.

The fact that I got frustrated watching the characters make the same stupid mistakes is what I call bad acting. Okay they are 15, but they never did try to correct their mistakes or use some common sense in delicate situations. I believe that that took the show's stubborness to a high degree here.

Well, I hope their relationship matures, because if not, I could see things go south real quick.
Old 18-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #13   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Sure, all the things you noted about Honoka are true, but maturity isn't only skin deep. If anything, she has alot of courage and selflessness, but I wouldn't call it maturity. Her pushing Suzuka while containing her own feelings was just on the outside. Deep down, and this is subjective, I don't believe that's what she really wanted to do.

Just like how Suzuka is quick to anger, or how Yamato is impulsive in many ways; Honoka initially does things for other people, while disregarding her own true feelings. If she were more mature, I don't believe she would've acted the way she did.

The one and only time I saw Honoka's true feelings come out was in one of the last episodes, where she finally confronted Suzuka (after Yamato's 2nd confession that made Suzuka run away). When Suzuka lashed out on how difficult it is to love some that's dead, Honoka countered with how difficult it is to love some that loves another. That line was probably the most mature line Honoka had.

See, I think alot of the annoyance of Suzuka and Yamato stems from the manga to anime conversion. As I stated previously, watching the anime was like reading the manga via slideshow. Many of the scenes were dragged out in the anime, and I think that added to the aggravation factor. Of course, I tend to read manga kinda fast so extended dramatic scenes go by quicker, so Idk... maybe that's a factor too. Or maybe I have more patience... meh.
Old 18-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #14   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I believe that she wanted the best for Yamato and Suzuka because she already knew that they were a match for each other. At the point where Yamato and Honoka were about to break up, Honoka wanted Yamato to stay, but unfortunately Yamato has been bad at reading signs and her "plan" backfired. Honoka had always been playing second fiddle to Suzuka, whom wouldn't even accept Yamato. She always gave her all to Yamato, but deep down and she was right, Yamato was always thinking about Suzuka which made it naturally hard for her to show her true feelings to Yamato as he was just half-assing being with her. I felt that was the reason she may have not shown her feelings as much, but they were there for us to see.

Honoka "grew up" as the series progress. She was constantly doing things to help her move forward and to make herself a better person, which in the end she really shines and saves the day. She didn't have to tell Yamato in episode 25 where Suzuka was at, she could've got all angry and such. But she put aside her personal feelings aside so that she could see Yamato happy, which she really wanted. That to me was a big step for her as she was able to tame Suzuka and guide Yamato to the one he likes.

Well...I can't say that I hate or dislike the anime. After all, I managed to watch all 26 episodes. I just didn't like the characters as much as other people did. Maybe once I read the manga my views will change.
Old 19-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #15   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

If you believed that that was Honoka's intention, then I can't say much about it. What I viewed as the reasons behind her actions differ from yours, so therein lies our little disagreement. Of course, it's better this way. If everyone got the same reaction from watching something, the world would be quite mundane.

I find it somewhat strange that though the initial topic of conversation was about Suzuka and Yamato, we decided to elaborate our thoughts on Honoka instead, heh.

You gotta admit, even if you decide this series was not that great, how often does a shounen romantic comedy spark such serious conversations? I won't say that it makes the series worth watching, but it does bring up some interesting considerations.