Old 02-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #1   [permalink]
mariusz03

what anime?

what anime do you think everybody should watch?
It has to be an anime that you think is the best anme in your opinion and is a must watch for every anime fan.
mariusz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #2   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

I think the godfather of all anime would have to be Akira. In my opinion, it was the springboard for anime titles to cross over to western viewers.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #3   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
I think every anime fan should check out atleast one Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli movie in their lifetime.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:55 PM   #4   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Anime that everyone should watch should be the all time fan favorite series' like Trigun, bebop, Eva, Escaflowne and MSGundam.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:16 AM   #5   [permalink]
Wolfpac
Senior ---------: V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfpac Send a message via AIM to Wolfpac Send a message via MSN to Wolfpac Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfpac
As much as people will disagree with me, for an older audience, I would say Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was the anime that got me hooked. But other than personal reasons, I think Eva has a good mix of everything. It has Comedy, Sci-Fi, Drama, Action and Art-house aspects to it. It has a place for the likes of all type of genres. And this way if you like one side of it, you can look for anime similar to the side you liked. Anything like Evangelion would be good if it can cater for different audiences.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #6   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by Nokari
I think the godfather of all anime would have to be Akira. In my opinion, it was the springboard for anime titles to cross over to western viewers.

..You just want anime to be an unknown thing again.

Evangelion, as already said, is probably one of the best blends. It has so many types of anime in it and really there are few out there that are as good at doing it. Its partially harem, partially comedy, partially drama, partially mecha, partially political/religious, partially skillup, and plenty of art/action.

However, because the the rear end is drama-heavy it can be offputting for some fans. So Id recommend that you try Evangelion, and if you feel that everything after episode 6 wasnt quite what you were after then come back and say so. Anime probably has an many shows and movies as hollywood. Imagine trying to tell a Japanese person what you think the definitive hollywood movie out there is. Not as a fan, but as a person trying to represent the culture's product and sell it.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 AM   #7   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
I can't decide out of these two anime but I think Samurai X and Fruits Basket are the two must see anime fans.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #8   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
FLCL.

It'll tickle the newbie brain with colors, sensations, and concepts. It'll send them out into the Anime Wilderness with burning questions about "nekos", bunny-suited women, and fighting robots. Once the newbie realizes FLCL is a silly amalgamation of anime ideas, he/she may be more likely to seek out the kinds of animes parodied/mentioned within. A high speed rock 'n roll LSD springboard to the anime ocean, if you will. And it has a great English dub.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #9   [permalink]
Gendou Ikari

Send a message via MSN to Gendou Ikari
I too would agree that Shin Seiki Evangelion is a good choice to see for any anime fan. It is my personal favorite. It does get really dark and depressing in the end, so if you don't like that kind of thing then this show isn't for you. And when I say depressing I mean that to the utmost extreem; basically everybody feels no self-worth and could care less if he or she lives.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #10   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
For me, it would probably be Saikano. One of the most emotion-driven anime that you'll probably ever see. I shed tears watching it. Never was I so moved by story and characters like this before. It's one of those anime that makes you say "damn" is this really anime? Truly a must watch.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #11   [permalink]
SenshiNaka
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to SenshiNaka Send a message via Yahoo to SenshiNaka
I would have to say the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs. The art is simply amazing and the story is great and makes you really care for the characters. Also I think this anime can appeal to a lot of different people,.. love, action, it has everything.
SenshiNaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #12   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by Drizzten
FLCL.

It'll tickle the newbie brain with colors, sensations, and concepts. It'll send them out into the Anime Wilderness with burning questions about "nekos", bunny-suited women, and fighting robots. Once the newbie realizes FLCL is a silly amalgamation of anime ideas, he/she may be more likely to seek out the kinds of animes parodied/mentioned within. A high speed rock 'n roll LSD springboard to the anime ocean, if you will. And it has a great English dub.

Except its so absurd that it can be hard to digest. To the non-anime fan, anime is 'cartoons'. The way to bring new fans in is to make them make the distinction between western animation and eastern. Thats hard to do when giant ------- irons are rolling over the landscape like some bad ironing commercial, and nothing is making a lot of sense. Now that you've said its parody I might go back and re-watch it. However Ive *never* liked that anime overly much so I really dont think its for the uninitiated. 'Excel Sage' would be better suited for what you're proposing.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #13   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Kyoto Story Arc for Rurouni Kenshin

Sam
Old 08-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #14   [permalink]
sasuke770

I think everyone should watch "naruto" it was cool for me.
sasuke770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 11:38 PM   #15   [permalink]
Gendou Ikari

Send a message via MSN to Gendou Ikari
I would recomend, as a light hearted show, Pokemon. Just don't watch it too much or you will get bored very quickly.