Old 23-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #1   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Shuffle

Top anime!
Parody, Harem, high school, slapstick. I love it. I really enjoy all the characters, INCLUDING the male. Ok, so he's not quite as good as some males (Handmaid May's Kozomu was a great central character, smart and a bit perverted) but he's good enough. He doesnt mistreat girls, he's not much of a loser, and he does realise the situation he's in.

The demon/god lords are awesome, and "Asa-Senpai" and her mum are cool. I think the voice actors for the girls need to tone it down a bit, but otherwise this is a wonderful anime if you're into this kind of genre.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #2   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I really like it as well.the male character reminds me of Hiroyuki from To Heart.A very laidback guy who barely notices he gets surrounded by cute girls.ALthough in this particular case it's harder not to notice with both living next door lol.It'll be fun to see how this turns out.
Old 24-07-2005, 01:53 AM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I liked "To Heart". The male char in it didnt really stand out to me, but the love-triangle resolution issues were nice and clean. A harem anime in only 13 episodes is a plus in my book anyday.

I recently watched the sequel, which I didnt enjoy at all. The male character was irritating, and all the ground that got covered in the first series was seemingly undone. He was back to denying/ignoring his friend's feelings, which to me is very unattractive in an anime. It seemed to be aiming for sentimental sales or something, by basically having him now re-train the robot. Ok, I admit that I gave up after about 3 episodes. It really just wasnt in my taste.

But 'Shuffle' is fantastic. To some degree I also like "Heartful Days". The male is a bit wussy and the female is too 2D, but at least the ridiculous "he's mine" "no he's mine" doesnt exist.
Old 25-07-2005, 12:32 AM   #4   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Hey you know about To Heart. Is that anime good?
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 05:34 PM   #5   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

The original?
I liked it, but it is a love story yanno.
Old 27-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #6   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
I watched the first three episodes and I find the premise of the show to be a bit....silly and weird. Humans, Gods, and Demons living together on Earth? In perfect harmony? Another thing is that the Lord of Demons and the Lord of Gods are entirely stupid!! These are Lords (supposedly) that we're talking about here and they act like a bunch of babbies?!! And why are they getting along too? Ahh!

What I do like about the anime though is the fact the main character of the show isn't a complete idiot. He comes off as a very reserved and thoughtful person. Not the typical "pervert" found in most Harem anime. He somewhat reminds me of Tenchi a bit. The girls are also a breath of fresh air. They actually have legitmate reasons to like him not because "I saw him first, I want him now!!!"

Don't misunderstand me, I like the anime, it's just that the plot is a bit too silly for my taste. I'm interesting to see if this will actually turn into a darker series or not.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 03:19 AM   #7   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Silly? Dude..its HAREM ANIME. Its ALWAYS silly.

What else did you expect when the lord of the gods gets belted over the head with a chair by his daughter? Its quite common to portray fathers as being a little silly when things concern their daughters. Being a lord of demons just helps demonstrate how much he loves his daughter by behaving the way he does.

Also, I think the whole gods/demons thing in Japan is slightly different to the West. Ive seen a fair few anime where gods are the bad guys, or demons can be heroes (isnt Inuyasha half demon?).

And Tenchi, whilst he was my favourite once upon a time. Fact of the matter is that he was just as rude towards the girls as many harem anime males. That attitude annoys me. They're always "go away, go away" when there's no good reason to behave like that.
Old 28-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #8   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Tenchi rude? I don't think so. Considering the fact that you have goddesses, space pirates, galaxy police, etc.living all under his roof he had show some sort of backbone there. After all he is "the man" of the house. I find the fact that he's handling the girls pretty well considering the odd predictament he's in at this point. I find that Tenchi is definately maturing with each new OVA, anime series.

As for you comments on Shuffle!...I guess I was taking the anime a little bit seriously, although I still find the premise to be a bit on the weird side.

Last edited by ACE2001; 28-07-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 28-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #9   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Really? I see it as a mockery of the other harem anime. For instance Tenchi.

Tenchi Muyo - Has a choice between marrying a princess, or a super duper powerful pirate chick.

Shuffle - Has a choice between having power A, or having power B.

In both cases, you take 2 opposite extremes and have the character stuck between them. Pirate/Princess God/Demon.

Love Hina - the 2 real choices are between that stupid bitch that always hits him, and that not stupid chick who is always gentle. So again, Energetic/Anemic is 2 opposites.

Tenchi Muyo (as in, the original OVA) he wasnt too bad towards the girls. But Shin Tenchi/Tenchi in Tokyo he was pretty bad. He couldnt stand them most of the time. Sadly Ive never seen Tenchi Universe, even though I am pengi_KEN-OHKI. Oh well.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #10   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Watched episode 4. I really like the tone of this show. It's supposed to be a harem anime, but really isn't acting like normal harem anime. The main characters is *gasp* actually normal and mature especially in the situation he's in. That's what's really suprising me about the anime. Also, the girls are a nice change of pace. You don't see crazy fan-service or boobs popping out everywhere or crazy things like that. They are very in tune so to speak.

Anyways I thought episode 4 was cute. Watching Nerine trying to cook for Rin-sama was so cute......At this rate Nerine will definately snatch him up before the other girls even have a chance.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #11   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

I'm guessing it's the first of the classic each-girl-has-her-moment-with-main-character-episode cycle.

You know,one of the things I like about this series is that there's no competition between the girls.Far from it,they encourage each other.It makes it a fantasy within a fantasy.It sorta reminds me of Final Approach

Last edited by Darklightz; 02-08-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #12   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Well I couldn't get past the first episode, sorry! I though I'd give harem anime another go after a hiatus of a couple years but I think its time to close the door altogether.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #13   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Originally Posted by MrBS
Well I couldn't get past the first episode, sorry! I though I'd give harem anime another go after a hiatus of a couple years but I think its time to close the door altogether.

Dont you think its curious that 2 girls with super powers have previously met the main character that barely remembers them? A character whose parents are both dead? Cant you just FEEL the drama that is going to arise from that introduction? Drama == good. The world should be drowned in agony!
Im pinning my bets on ~ep 15 (assuming it is 26 ep).
Unless this is truely a parody anime, then I have nfi.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:10 AM   #14   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Mate, that better be sarcasm because if you are trying to point out the originality let alone the *wow* factor of this show you seem to be failing, badly I might add .
Old 03-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #15   [permalink]
sjyek

from what i've watched so far.. i have a feeling that the main character is having a problem with choosing who he likes... i mean.. 1st this girl.. then that girl... well.. i guess it's normal for teenage boys to feel that way ^_^

and up to ep 7 i think the main char's more interested in sia than nerine.. but i can't say much coz he seems to like asa-senpai too

but apart from that i think this anime is quite ok.. if u like this sort of animes... the storyline is quite catchy.. u're gonna keep on guessing on who will he choose..

Last edited by sjyek; 03-09-2005 at 05:53 AM.
sjyek is offline   Reply With Quote