Old 12-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #31   [permalink]
Darklightz
Forum Elite

You're missing something good Pengi Ken-Ohki!Believe me,it gets much better as it goes on.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #32   [permalink]
Hiigaran
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I stopped watching this at around ep 3 or so..seems it was taking itself seriously and not making a joke =/
In my opinion the series only gets worse from the first episode. I watched through episode 9 and it was worse than Love Hina, which I had rapidly come to strongly dislike.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #33   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Those opinions makes it hard for me to choose if I should watch it or not.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #34   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Just started watching this one (up to ep three) and wanted to make a quick comment.

Unlike most harem animes, I can't guess which girl *should* be the main one, i.e. the MC will end up with (or should but something unprecedented happens that prevents that). I did very little research into the game, which I normally do for animes that had game (or manga) origins, so all I have to go in is what I've seen thus far.

It's usually obvious from the start (like childhood friend or alien/robot/magical creature that suddenly drops in the MC's lap), but Kaede, Sia, and Nerune all seem like they could be the cover girl (by that, I mean most harem bishoujo games as this tend to have the girl that's "suppose" to be picked on the cover of the game or at least, on the menu screen), and as I've said, I did no research to this game so as to keep it a mystery.

It's unusual to not be able to guess right off the bat, so I want to keep that mystery for as long as I can. Guessing is fun!

Ok, seeing as how this "quick comment" has obviously been a lie, I'll make a couple other notes. Agreeing with the other posts before me, the MC is good. A bit bland in personality so far, but at least he's not a perv-maniac, loser, geek/nerd, dying from a disease, or all of the above... yet.

And why do nearly all the girls have high pitched voices? One or two chars with that is tolerable but nearly all of them having it gives me an earful (yes, pun intended).

Ok, back to watching.

EDIT: Up to ep 13 now. The sudden switch to seriousness was expected. I'm sure there would be many gripes about it, but I got used to it playing alot of these bishoujo games. Several game to anime conversions have been like this as well (Da Capo comes to mind). At the least, the drama isn't fake or too exaggerated.

It's such the conundrum. For anime that stem from these games, it's hard to say if it's better to focus on one or two stories or try to focus on several. By going with the first, the stories can drag on and the short time given to the other stories end up hollow. Yet, by going with the latter, the pacing feels like it jumps around too much and the stories seemingly lack structure. I'd slightly favor the latter. It keeps the anime fresher, and if you ignore the hopping around, you gain more diverse stories and by the end, the "main" story can still turn out well.

Ahhh, but I digress. Time to continue my marathon while watching football.

EDIT2: Up to 18, and Pittsburg owned Denver, as I suspected. Carolina should take the next one... um.. mainly because I've been riding on them all season, hehe. Before the season started, they were the underdog team to make the Superbowl... I had no idea they'd get this far at the time. Oops, but back on topic...

Maybe I'm a sucker. Or a sap. Idk, but I like the stories. If it's viewed as a soap opera, except there's only one male lead, then the jumble of stories can be acceptable. At the least, they try to keep things tied in, though it's still a bit random. Again, I can accept it. The characters are nice, even if the voices still get on my nerves.

And though I felt Asa would be the best match for Rin, I wouldn't have guessed her to actually be a candidate to be THE girl. It's not for certain yet of course, but now the pickings just got bigger. I wouldn't mind, since I like her char the most anyway... but I'm a sucker for anime chicks with her personality. I always seem to rate them higher.

Of course, if you go by the typical formula, it's this late in the series and there's only one girl who's story hasn't been fleshed out yet. Yep, Kaede. Given how things are going, she'd be the last story and well... that kinda sorta means she's THE girl. But hey, maybe it'll turn out different. I'm still not counting out the other girls quite yet.

I shall secretly root for Asa, just like I am with Carolina, hehehe. Might be a longshot but I picked 'em early on so I gotta stick with it. Oooh, the comparison analogy works perfectly.

EDIT3: Down to the last three eps, and fuggin' Carolina is getting they ass kicked. Dammit.

Plenty of drama in these past few eps, and done well too. They could've shortened all the comedy one-shot episodes and started off all the drama sooner. It's a shame they had to stretch the series to at least 24 eps, cuz having about 18 would've been fine with some of those useless eps cut down. This anime focused more on drama then comedy, so it could've worked.

I can see why it would turn people off. I may be used to it, but it's obvious many aren't. When something starts off as one thing, and drills that into you, then switches gears just like that... it'd be strange. I still feel this one could've been an exception, had it had less episodes. Taking out some of the comedy and still doing 24 eps would've only dragged out the stories, so that wouldn't work.

I at first thought going a Kimi ga Nozomu Eien route would've worked, but due to Sia and Nerune's unique appearances, cutting out all but the "main" story wouldn't turn out well.

Well, the Jin/Asa/Kaede story *seems* to be closed off, so I wonder what the last three eps will be. My initial guess would be an alternate ending. Rarely a good idea, but given the sporatic flow of this anime, it wouldn't be out of place. Plus, I'd like to see the good ending for Kaede. If I don't, I have to spend hours hunting for info on the Shuffle game endings to find out, and that's never fun... just like I did with Kimi ga Nozomu Eien for the other girl's ending (you know who it is if you have seen it). I know I was rooting for Asa, but during the early 20s eps, I started feeling for Kaede. Now I'm second guessing who I supported. BUT, I doubt the alternate ending. Yet, three whole eps showing off Rin and Asa's relationship is a bit much. Bah, why wonder when I can finish!

Three more eps and I can finally sleep. It's been a while since I've pulled an all nighter. And DAMMIT Carolina, get your ass in gear. Don't make me lose money!

EDIT: Fini! ...stupid Carolina...

Oh yeah, duh, how could I forget about Asa's condition during my last edit. Of course, they had to throw in one more unbelievable premise to go with it, but meh. After the first 327482394 unbelievable premises, what's one more?

In any case, I liked how the series was closed off. Definitely fulfilling and conclusive, after being dragged through alot of random stories (some good, some bad). The series really did jump all over the place, but overall, I enjoyed it. I'm not sure how much the lack of sleep is disorienting my thoughts, but for now, that's what I think. At the least, instead of being a lame series, it turned out to be a solid one with faults... but faults that could've been remedied. If it was just plain lame, there would be no remedy short of a massive rehaul on the story.

If you have some patience to sit through the first 10 or so eps, then I'd say check it out. Well, presuming you had even a fraction of that patience to wade through this entire post, that should be an easy task. I hope I didn't taint this thread too much with this exhorbitant post. Since I was marathoning it, I just felt like jotting my thoughts down when I, uh... thought about it.

Man, now I wanna play this game. Oh, speaking of which, I loved that "harem ending" comment in ep 22. Too funny.

Last edited by oppa; 22-01-2006 at 11:08 PM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #35   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I gave this anime up a while ago, but the other day in this thread someone mentioned it getting serious. Thus, I picked it back up.

I just completed episode 23.

I do not very much like this anime. In my mind Im turning the word "hardcore harem" around. Some anime (e.g 'To Heart') are harem but they maintain balance by giving a clear heirachy or letting the feelings each character feels be slightly different.

Others, just throw a tonne of girls who all feel the same way at a guy. Watching it, the anime Im most reminded of is Da Capo. Not just for the excessive panty shots, but the lame the drama.

'Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien" is one of my favourite "drama llama" anime. It DID ---- with my head as I tried to imagine the 'right' thing to do in the given situation.
This anime however, is sickeningly insincere. Every single episode my mind was ticking off a checklist of fake remarks and statements. Of apologies and hugging that have no insides.

The main male character is ------- lame. You want a good main male char? Check out Handmaid May. He was talented, compassionate, and a bit pervy. (Handmaid may is another harem anime that had good balance).
I hate main characters who are portrayed as being "nice" boys, but do things like yell at people (e.g. god/demon fathers) or grab them and blame them when they feel helpless (e.g. the doctor).

He put them all on hold for nearly the entire series. He spread a lot of pain, and should be held accountable for it even if much of the pain was self-generated by the girls.

The ONLY good thing about this anime is the fathers and Midoriba-kun. It was interesting that the girls all had dark secrets, but it wasnt interesting watching this guy take the spotlight every goddamn time. Girl is sick and dying? Its his fault, lets all give him a hug. Girl is deeply upset? Its his fault for not noticing, lets all support him. Its ------- crap.

Im getting too old for harem, and definately too old for anime in which it takes a guy 3 friggin episodes to ask "Why". He never confronted anyone, and he never asked why. How can you truely understand a person if you use a generic set of rules for interacting with them?

EDIT: Ok, I'll admit ep 24 was pretty good. I particularly enjoyed the scene where Rin eats Primula's food, and what she does afterward. Innocently evil people rock.

Last edited by Pengi_Ken-Ohki; 02-02-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #36   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Well I've been looking forward to watching To Hearts and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien more than Shuffle anyway.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #37   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Hands down, I would recommend both To Heart and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien over Shuffle... and a host of other anime as well, but especially KgNE.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #38   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Man, I cant frakking wait for Akane Maniax. I saw the first ep and was instantly hooked. I NEED it in my veins. Its core like kgne, but in a whole new way, haha.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #39   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
I've been putting this anime on the backburner for awhile. I have the rest of the episodes read to watch, but after episode 20, my irritation for the anime and the main character just became overwhelming. Never had I seen a character whom was so clueless and insincere about people's feelings. I'll probably just watch the last 4 episodes just to get it over with. One thing for sure though, this is an anime that will definately be easy for me to forget about.

Last edited by ACE2001; 03-02-2006 at 04:44 PM.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:40 AM   #40   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by oppa
Hands down, I would recommend both To Heart and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien over Shuffle... and a host of other anime as well, but especially KgNE.

You really would say that?
Old 04-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #41   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Easily.

As easily as I typed that first word.

For me, Shuffle, against the general consensus of this thread, was entertaining in it's own aspect. It had many faults as does many bishoujo/hentai/visual novel game to anime conversions, but unfortunately, I'm a sucker for these since I play alot of the games. Overall though, it falls quite short compared to the few conversions that were done well.

To Heart had a relaxing pace and low drama. Decent.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien had intense drama and a deep story. The difference between this one and many of these conversions is that it focused on just two of the girls. The game had many branches to the story but the animators chose to only stick with a couple of them. This way, we got a deeper story and less of the "what the hell is going on? Where did she come from? Man, they keep jumping around" ---- that plagues these anime. HIGHLY recommended.

Umm... I should stop before I derail this thread too much.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #42   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Kimi Ga was a game too? Goddamn..
Old 04-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #43   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I finally got back to watching Shuffle!....I finished off episode 21. Watching this episode, I felt like heart was literally being ripped to pieces....Damn, for a second I felt like I was Kaede. It was definately hard to watch considering the traumatic events she went through in the prior episode which made this episode very sad and wonderful at the same time. I truly underestimated my feelings for this show and I found myself gritting my teeth and trying not to get pissed at how things were going. Just to let them play itself out.

After watching Rin this episode, I still don't like him!!! I don't know, to be honest, I liked him in the beginning, but when he started messing up with Kaede and being irresponsible, my thoughts about him changed drastically. I hated the guy. But after watching this, I think I somewhat got a better understand of why he did it. If he had of done this sooner, then it probably could've saved him and everyone else alot of pain.

Well, I'll probably be updating this thread about every 30 minutes or so, so don't be surprised if you see four different posts by me!!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #44   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Finished episode 22.....I thought that I could've finally breathed a sigh of relief. Things were slowly returning to normal. Everyone accepted Rin and Asa relationship and the comedy was golden, then towards the end, the drama resurfaces itself.. Well 2 more to go....
Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #45   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Watched episode 23......Oh the drama!! What I'm wondering is what in hell does everyone expect Rin to do? They keep saying he's the only one or the "chosen one" to save Asa. Even he admits that he can't do much, so why? This is truly a hard situation as Asa doesn't want to use magic, and Rin's not sure how to save her....Hmmm...I beginning to think this anime was built to bring out the worst in everything!! One more to go....