Old 04-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #46   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
FINALLY!!! FINALLY!!!!....

I watched episode 24.....I think I want to puke now! It was just so ridiculous watching the girls STILL swooning over him like he's Brad Pitt after he made it very obvious and clear that he's in love with Asa-san. I realize this is a harem anime, but this goes beyond the boundaries. Do these girls really have bricks for brains? I'm still in shock and disbelief. Do they expect him to up and change his mind? For christ sake, the guy slit his wrist and nearly died for Asa-san!!! And they're all aware of this fact, but they still HOPE that they can be with him. Man, this show has gotten on my last everloving nerves!! The logic was truly lost here on me. To be quite frank, Rin doesn't deserve ANY of the girls and I'll be willing to argue my opinion. The only thing that I liked about this episode was when the credits were rolling and you see Kaede and Sia accidentally kiss! I thought it would've been interesting to see what would happen after that, but I was let down...

Overall, I'm glad that I did watch this. It made me realize what harem anime is really like....gone wrong that is. I don't think I could bring myself to watch this anime again, just for the simple fact that I would get easily pissed at the main character. In any case, I don't hate this anime, it's just that it's managed to make me flustered in over a short period of time. The only other anime to do that was Peach Girl. I was nearly ready to put my fist through the computer screen watching that anime.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #47   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Kimi Ga was a game too? Goddamn..
Yep.

This is just a baseless guess, but I'd say nearly half the harem animes originated from games. The other half from manga. Hehe... well, my point is that alot come from games. I suppose I could've just stated that w/o the first part, but... meh.

Oh, I think I finally figured out why the MCs in anime as this always suck and also why that becomes the number one complaint by anyone who watches it.

When playing these games, the MC are usually bland for a reason. YOU are the MC and therefore the game creators want YOU to be that person, and to, in a sense, intertwine your personality into the game so YOU can feel that it's YOU that is doing all the fun/dirty/sad/good/bad/horrible/exciting stuff with all the girls.

The MC are seemingly losers, because that's either what the player can sorta relate to, or at least feel superior to. If they were "cool" or "popular" with good looks, the players may feel inept and not be able to relate. I'm not saying all those that play these games are "losers," but I think they make them average for a reason. It's kinda like how alot of shoujo MCs are average girls that are usually dumb and clumsy. For whatever reason, these types of MC are the norm cuz the players/viewers respond to it the best. For more realistic minds, like mine and many of those in this thread, it's not something we can grasp and therefore we get aggravated and feel the need to complain.

Umm.. I don't think that made alot of sense. I had a coherent thought in my head but typing it out turned it into crap. Oh well.

But, don't assume all harem animes with game origins fall prey to this stereotypical formula. There are many that have good MCs, or at least, different from the typical molds. Air and Comic Party are one's that come to mind.

Oh, and Ace, there's something that people need to take for granted when watching anime like this: The girls love the MC, no matter what. I've long since given up on asking "why?" simply because it's an endless, frustrating question that cannot be answered.

And I agree with Peach Girl. I absolutely could not watch past the 7th or so episode. My head was going nuts; I just didn't have the patience and tolerance to continue watching. That is the most aggravating anime I have ever seen... and I was liking it too. But, my aggravation superceded my curiosity.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled Shuffle thread.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #48   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Oppa, I really did try to take it for granted, but man, it was just UNREAL. I mean, at best they will only be sloppy seconds next to Asa-san. I could understand that if they were just to become only friends, but they just couldn't take NO for an answer. It seems as if their love for Rin is even stronger now that he's with Asa. What are they hoping for a poloygram (misspelled badly) relationship? Man oh man, this guy definately isn't Brad Pitt and they need to quit acting like he was. He's found the girls he truly loves, now get off his damn dick!!!! Sometimes I wish I could be a Harem main character so I can have all the beautiful girls all over me. I talk dirty, spit on them, slap them up, rape them, and they'll still keep running to me even for more abuse, which is what I see. I can't really understand why they want to tortue themselves like this. They act as if there is NO other guy on the planet, not even one....

Well, with that rant over and done, I've come to accept that this the way the harem anime plays out sometimes. I'll just have to keep my mind open and fresh for the next one I watch.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #49   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Kimi Ga was a game too? Goddamn..
Wasn't there like a game of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, ToHearts, and ToHearts 2?
And there's also a game for Gunslinger Girl? Japan is so lucky.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #50   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

And a slew of others.

For Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, and both To Heart series', they were games first then anime. IIRC, Gunslinger Girl was an original anime (or maybe from a manga) but had a game made after it (or more, I only know of one).

Hmm, off the top of my head, bishoujo games that became animes are, other then the one's mentioned:
W-Wish
Final Approach
Wind ~A Breath of Heart~
Comic Party
Kanon
Da Capo
Futakoi
(I think)
Lamune
Triangle Hearts
Fate/Stay Night
and
Naruto
Haha, just kidding about Naruto

The list goes on and on.

Dammit, I gotta stop derailing this thread.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #51   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
I never seen past "Wind, A Breath of Heart" ep 4. Too unavailable.
'Air' was a game? I so did NOT see that. That anime is awesome.

Regarding "Peach Girl", yeh..I think I hung in there until the teen episodes. That was truely a spectacular waste of effort. I try to suspend my opinions so i can better enjoy the anime, but time and again I came back to the same place: "Ai Ja Nai". Drama only works when its something that captures you. Last night I re-watched KGNE ep 1 and I was reminded yet again why that anime hurt so much. Its because the characters actually did care. They weren just attracted, they were genuinely happy and full of faith.

Back to Shuffle though, I think the reason I didnt care that they were still attracted at the end, is because Rin is a ------- nutcase. He has a martyr complex. You might say "he was willing to die to keep Asa", but actually he was just "willing to die to save her". He did the same to Kaede and yet look how easily her left her. He went straight for the dramatic. Telling a girl that you are the reason her mum died, allowing her to do terrible things, but never destroying the evidence that would prove you werent responsible, is kinda cruel.
I knew what he'd do from the moment the nurse gave him the knife. But I was thinking as he bled "haha, wrist cuts take a long time to kill. bandage him up, call am ambulance, and laugh your way to hell".
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #52   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Heh, you make some valid and agreeable points... albeit in a cynical way, but I can't argue them since I think that way as well.

I know it's difficult to accept unrealistic scenarios, but it's one of those things I've learn to deal with from watching anime like this (and playing these games). I don't accept everything, but there are certain things I let go. It's hard to describe, but by doing so, I can relax a bit more.

In any case, when one compares any dramatic anime to KGnE, of course, they'll fall short. KGnE had "real" drama with heartfelt characters, like you said. It wasn't fluff, or fake, at all. Realistic scenarios with "good" acting is something that's hard to come by in anime. The game had some more stretched scenerios dealing with other girls' paths, but thankfully, they were left out of the anime. This allowed for a deeper, more realistic story for the anime and I'm glad that's what happened.

This was the point I tried to make while typing that long ass post while watching Shuffle. If they did like KGnE and chose a couple of the stories and really focused on just the characters involved, it could've turned out much better. Da Capo fell prey to the same formula. It had too much fluff and diversion from the "main" stories, which could've turned out solid.

Meh. I'm guessing it's because due to the popularity of these games, they wanted to cash in as much as possible by making the animes 26 eps instead of 12-13 (or 14 like KGnE). Bastids.

EDIT: Oh, quick note. To this day, I've yet to rewatch KGnE. I'm not sure I ever will. It's too hard. Everytime I think about rewatching, I'm flooded with the memories and feelings of when I first watched, and I just can't start it up again. Sounds bad, but for me, it was THAT good. It's been two years, I think, since I watched it and the feelings still linger w/in me... or I'm just a pussy.

Last edited by oppa; 04-02-2006 at 08:15 PM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #53   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

I just realized something....you guys keeping talking about Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. I never even heard of this anime at all. I know it's a dumb question, but is it available on Region 1 DVD's right now?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:54 AM   #54   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Oppa - I too lack the courage to watch it a second time. So many anime I like are so deeply emotional its difficult for me to rewatch. I only rewatched the first ep, I could never rewatch em all anytime soon.
Ditto 'Now and Then, Here and There'.

ACE: Not sure if its available. But it has got to be the greatest of this genre Ive ever seen, and going by other sites Id say many others feel the same way.

The whole anime is basically based around 1 question, but unfortunately I cant tell you what the question is or you'd be emotionally fortified for it when it comes up in the anime. But suffice to say, it was not what I expected at all. I downloaded the anime in complete ignorance. I thought I was in for a Tenchi Muyo..imagine my shock!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:12 AM   #55   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Thanks Pengi_Ken-Ohki! You've reminded me of what the anime was about...I've seen this before and I'll agree that this anime was definately great. Definately alot of emotional situations to go around....I think I'm going to have to re-watch it myself.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #56   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

A region 1 license for KGnE... oh, that would be a dream... not that I could watch the DVDs when I bought them anyhow...

As tough as it was, I did rewatch Now and Then, Here and There. I watched it once, then a year or so later, I convinced my old roommate how good it was and made him watch it with me. Whew, that second time around was not easy.

I, too, watched KGnE without any prior knowledge and with much ignorance. Actually, I watched the first ep then thought "oh, another one of these" and put the rest off for nearly a year. Then, I hit a point where I was watching so much anime that I started watching stuff I passed up, and of course, KGnE was one of them. At that time, I couldn't believe how I ever passed it up. Had I at least watched two eps instead of one the first time around.... I think I'll leave it at that.

"I think I'm going to have to re-watch it myself."

If only I can say that with such ease. I've rewatched many anime that I've enjoyed... but KGnE... just may never happen. The only one in my virtual (ever-changing) top ten that I have never rewatched. Sigh.
Old 20-02-2006, 05:38 AM   #57   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

I hate harem anime, because the men are such selfish bastards that are mostly unaware of the rights of women, who are in their unaware minds, slaves/sex objects. I really was hoping that this one was going to be the one that would finally change the niche in my mind, but I guess I was asking for too much.

So yeah, I don't want to rewatch this series...
Spoiler:
Rin was such a pussy, especially when it came to dealing with Kaede. Even at the end he didn't appropiately deal with the situation. I think he still didn't account for her feelings and try to help her resolve them, because obviously she didn't seem able to. All he did was think about his problems, thinking that running away and taking care of himself is going to do the job. His explanation as to why she didn't own him the favor of taking care of him was really weak.

What a huge douche.

Argh, this guy makes my blood boil. I hate him more than Kentaro from LH.

Last edited by hakai; 20-02-2006 at 05:39 AM.
hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #58   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Women's rights?

Here's a clue in for you buddy: A woman's right is to do as she pleases no more, or no less than a man. If that means being a mistreated sappy slut, then dont you ------- dare blame the male. We can disapprove of the way male characters treat female characters, but at no point should "rights" be brought up. If she's free to leave, then thats all the choice she needs.
Old 21-02-2006, 04:55 AM   #59   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

Your right...she did want to do those things. I just think that there were too many times that she did it beyond necessary....whatever though.
hakai is offline   Reply With Quote