Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #16   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Squall Leonhart
For once I think we agree on something bigbi. Which is why Ares is my friend.....
Old 07-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #17   [permalink]
Robotech Master
Forum Addicted

RE: Yes, the pricing now is ridiculous. Anime and manga are very popular in the west now. $30 for 3 episodes is waaay too much.

This is also due to the same problem of the industry getting so big. The cost of licensing a single episode these days is in the thousands, so of course you have to sell DVD's for a pretty high price. The problem can also be attributed to the fact that DVD production hasn't really picked up like people thought it would; it all went to hell once word got out that DVD's are going to be obsolete media in the near future.

Just buy your anime at best buy. That's what I do, and they sell them for 20$ each.

Robotech Master
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #18   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart
With the surge of popularity I just dont see why were still paying an average of 8 to 10 dollars per episode (5 dollars if your REALLY lucky) I mean there making about 25-32 bucks for every dvd sold....thats alot of money there putting into there pockets.

Thats really whats kept me from buying alot recently, i have payments and frankly id rather pay nothing for them.
where do you buy your anime? I just checked the places where I used to buy online and at the least, it's US$6.66 an episode. The older series (in terms of releases) are really cheap now, Fruits Basket dvd's on Target retail for $19.99, that's around $3 an episode. Regardless though, one would think that the price would go lower, but I think fans (at least everyone in anime on dvd forums) would pay anything as long as the dvd contains more than 3 episodes.

Anyway, another thing that bothers me when anime "hit the big time" is that literally every anime comes out with a vol 1 w/box. Yes, I know it's an incentive so people would buy the rest, but some crap title just doesn't deserve it. GitS: SAC? Sure, bring the limited eds on. Maburaho? HELL NO.

Last edited by Fatal Outlaw; 08-08-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #19   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Alright, so I've come to realize that the anime industry at the moment is at an all time low. Announcements horribly went down from last year's to this year's. After a VERY lack luster AX 2005, it's no surprise that Otakon would be the same.

The big three didn't even make any announceements (Bandai didn't even show up). Even Funimation didn't make any as well (they did say that they were close to announcing 2 titles, but the bottom lines are not signed yet). Granted, there were announcements from CPM and RightStuf, but both companies are way too small to make an impact.

In addition, there's rumors that ADV is losing BIG money. I can't say I'm surprised. They go by quantity over quality and they opened 9 new studios (in which one closed.) It's funny that the company that claimed that they were the ones responsible in making anime popular (which in no way is true) were also responsible for single handedly overflooding the market.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #20   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
There are other factors to include in such an analysis.

(1) The DVD industry in general has not been doing as well lately. In the USA Block Buster has been suffering declining rentals. And retail sales of DVD have dropped. I read in a business article that the title "The Incredibles" had a huge return rate, lots of them were shipped back because they did not sell.

(2) The used market has taken off. There are several CD Warehouse shops I visit to get movies. Even Suncoast video has a used section. People are learning that you can save lots of money if you wait a year and get it used.

(3) Inflation is taking off and people have been transferring funds used for entertainment (movies, restaurants and DVDs) and using them to pay for gasoline and utilities. Bottom line is that the standard of living is dropping. Prices for anime seem even more outrageous now.