Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 PM   #1   [permalink]
hakai
Forum Junkie

Watching anime with or without people?

Personally, I've only had one friend that actually liked anime and would watch it. Heck, he was more hardcore than me as he would watch any anime, analyze it, and then we would have a long discussion about it. Hell, I remember when we use to have three hour long discussions on Digimon.

But anyway, I probably wouldn't want to watch most anime with anyone, and especially with him. I need total silence when I watch anime, and with no snide remarks. Plus, there's some types of anime that would be too awkward to watch with someone else like romance anime. Yeah that's obvious, but I brought it up because I want to hear how strange that must be; to watch it with other people around you.
hakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #2   [permalink]
orochi X
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via MSN to orochi X
I usually watch anime by myself only times I watch with a friend is when we are at screenings at the anime festival or watching it at the cinemas because really I don't invite a friend over when I've just downloaded the latest fansubs .., plus I'm usually a pain in the ass to watch things with, I always make idiotic comments. Anyway if I have friends over or am at a friends place I'd rather be doing something else to kill time then watch anime.
orochi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #3   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Depends on what kind of anime I watched then I'll watch on my own or with others.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 AM   #4   [permalink]
WierdIsraeli
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to WierdIsraeli Send a message via AIM to WierdIsraeli
I prefer to watch only with someone who knows something about anime, cause when watching with someone who has no idea, they bring up remarks which ruin the moment.
Quote:
"Work best under the pressure of impending death."
WierdIsraeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #5   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Well I watch the majority of my anime alone due to practicality if nothing else. When I watch with one or two of my friends we for the most past keep quiet but the odd remark gets out.

At my local anime club its on for young and old! Snide remarks constantly and if someone else isn't making them I'm more than ready to step in myself I'm certainly of the mind that the point of watching anime with others is to have that kind of interaction because if I wanted dead silence I would watch it alone.

Last edited by MrBS; 02-10-2005 at 08:15 AM.
MrBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #6   [permalink]
xfracture

I normally watch anime by myself except on the rare occasion that one of my family members is in the mood to watch some as well
xfracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #7   [permalink]
Shinobi X
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Shinobi X Send a message via MSN to Shinobi X
Originally Posted by WierdIsraeli
I prefer to watch only with someone who knows something about anime, cause when watching with someone who has no idea, they bring up remarks which ruin the moment.
That's also something that I would do.
Shinobi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #8   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I prefer watching it alone. The show seems more "real" then, meaning that you can put your whole focus on it if you want, and catch everything that's going on, and really enjoy it and think about it while it's going on.

Besides, the majority of the people I've ever watched it with are people who have never seen anime before, and inexplicably I get self-conscious watching it with them because they don't know much about anime. I feel like I have to explain things to them that they might not understand, like intricacies in Japanese culture. And when I don't explain, I spend the rest of the time wondering if I should, or if they even care to understand.

The few times I've watched it with anime fans, it's alright, because it's more comfortable. There's a common basis there, an understanding. Then I can make snide comments and be understood, or discuss a show with people who have some background in anime. Like MrBS said, if I'm going to watch a show with other people there, then I like there to be comments going on. It's more enjoyable that way.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #9   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Well, there aren't too many people I know whom like to watch anime, so I end up always watching it by myself. On a couple of occassions I introduced a couple of my friends to anime and they liked it. They were asking questions and things like that. Nothing too annoying. I'm more of a patience type person so I don't mind explaining anime to my friends if they haven't been exposed to it too much.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #10   [permalink]
Fex

Originally Posted by dheu
Besides, the majority of the people I've ever watched it with are people who have never seen anime before, and inexplicably I get self-conscious watching it with them because they don't know much about anime. I feel like I have to explain things to them that they might not understand, like intricacies in Japanese culture. And when I don't explain, I spend the rest of the time wondering if I should, or if they even care to understand.

The few times I've watched it with anime fans, it's alright, because it's more comfortable. There's a common basis there, an understanding. Then I can make snide comments and be understood, or discuss a show with people who have some background in anime.
I gotta agree with you there - but i like watching anime with other people who like it... it's more fun that way...
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:50 AM   #11   [permalink]
sjyek

i'd usually watch anime by myself.. the only free time i have to watch one is night time when there's no one around or they're probably asleep.. besides i hate watching with other people around me coz they'll be like "what's it about?" and "what's happening now?" and that'll ruin everything

Last edited by sjyek; 06-10-2005 at 02:52 AM.
sjyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:48 AM   #12   [permalink]
RiPPa
Executive Member

I sometimes watch anime with my dad since he usually sits down to watch it with me; and he especially likes Wolfs Rain, but I can't get the sixth DVD
Of course his understanding is limited but I think he gets the ideas.. and the funny remarks
RiPPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #13   [permalink]
David Ikari
Forum Master

I have friends who watch anime. Three of them that I regularly do. One of them even manages to stock the night with series. Bleach, Naruto, Azumanga Daioh, Honey & Clover, Stand Alone Complex, Tsubasa Chronicles, etc.

Sometimes we make a day of it. Watch a lot of anime. Play a multiplayer game (either on Gamecube, PS2, or LAN), swear at each other a lot. Make a big dinner. Proceed to swear at the news, game shows, and whatever dodgey show is on the tv as we eat.

It's all good. ^^
David Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #14   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

When I was a student, I watched anime with all my male classmates (the girlies were put off by Wicked City & Legend of the Overfiend).., we'd have a few beers & have a good laugh watching them..,

Now, anime watching for me is mainly a solitary affair, none of my friends have the patience to watch a 26 episode anime series so if I do watch anime with my mates, it tends to be movies..,

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #15   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Originally Posted by EVA fiend
When I was a student, I watched anime with all my male classmates (the girlies were put off by Wicked City & Legend of the Overfiend).., we'd have a few beers & have a good laugh watching them..,

Now, anime watching for me is mainly a solitary affair, none of my friends have the patience to watch a 26 episode anime series so if I do watch anime with my mates, it tends to be movies..,
Dude, *I* was put off by those movies. The fact you can sit through them does of course just remind me how lucky I am to have you obsessed with me. But enough about you, lets talk about me for a change.

I like solitary. The faces I make whilst watching certain anime could only be topped by a sex face. Cute scenes will especially make me grin like a dork in empathy with the characters. If other people are around, I'll 'raise shields' and not be able to enjoy it as much. I dont even trust other anime fans. I dont think they're on the same page as me.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote